Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I dismount my CPU cooler and GPU before carrying my computer case?

Hello everyone. I plan to clean my computer case from dust and to do that I need to carry my computer case (Corsair 5000D Airflow) outside (to my balcony) but I've read that if I don't dismount my CPU cooler before carrying it, it may sag because of the movement while carrying it. I own a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and it is quite heavy so should I dismount my CPU cooler each time I carry my computer case to prevent it from sagging or is it just a myth? I also own an Aorus 3070 Ti Master which is pretty heavy too but I have one of those anti-sag brackets for it so it wouldn't be a problem, I think. Please do correct me if I am wrong about that. Thank you and have a nice day.

I should think unless it's made of lead, or you're slinging it around like a baseball bat, it shouldn't hurt it. If you're concerned about sag, doing it this once shouldn't hurt anything, but you might think about running a couple vertical support wires for the cooler and GPU.

I've been having a random issue with no video on startup and last time I had to open the case, I tied a wire off to the GPU backing plate and ran it up to the topside vents. (piano wire is least visible, but I used a piece of insulated wire salvaged from a dead power supply). This is something that takes a little effort and patience, because if you don't get it just right, there will still be some sag. What I found worked best was to find an object that could fit between the floor of the case and the GPU, pushing it up lightly just enough to put it perfectly level. From there, I just had to get the length of wire right when the knots were tied.

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

No, it won't mind being carried it a few meters. It's when it'll be banged about carelessly in a vehicle or by a shipping company that you need to start taking precautions.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, John Solar System said:

Hello everyone. I plan to clean my computer case from dust and to do that I need to carry my computer case (Corsair 5000D Airflow) outside (to my balcony) but I've read that if I don't dismount my CPU cooler before carrying it, it may sag because of the movement while carrying it. I own a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and it is quite heavy so should I dismount my CPU cooler each time I carry my computer case to prevent it from sagging or is it just a myth? I also own an Aorus 3070 Ti Master which is pretty heavy too but I have one of those anti-sag brackets for it so it wouldn't be a problem, I think. Please do correct me if I am wrong about that. Thank you and have a nice day.

I don't believe that case would flex enough for it to be an issue, and the cooler will be screwed to the motherboard, not the case (it's not a Dell pre built) so unless the motherboard seriously flexes I doubt it will be an issue. If you were to transport it some distance (miles for example) then I would recommend removing the cooler and GPU for transit. 

10 minutes ago, John Solar System said:

If it's just for a short distance, and you don't shake it up and down too much when carrying. It's fine.
If you want to be safer, take off the GPU, or carry the case with CPU facing the ceiling.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

Carry it flat? If the GPU and cooler are facing up, the weight is directed straight down as crush force instead of shear.