Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which monitor/TV should I get?

DankYeeter

In the next 2-3 months I will need to get a new TV. I intend to go with the Shield Pro TV so monitor or TV are both fine.

Problem is, being located in Austria, I refuse to pay the fee for having a device that could receive national cable as I never use it. My options are therefore TVs and monitors without any tuner. 

Wishes are 4K and OLED, as far as the rest goes I am relatively unaware of what I should strive for. Should be suitable for gaming and watching Netflix and whatever other content I might download.

Currently my pick would be the Aorus FO48U. High refresh rate, resolution and OLED seem like a very good deal. Current price is about 1000€. 

I am open to any suggestions or experiences with that monitor in particular.

Thanks for taking your time guys.

In my country we have the same national cable, but you can pay a company to close it, if that opens more choice. As for which monitor i cant help much

4 hours ago, DankYeeter said:

In the next 2-3 months I will need to get a new TV. I intend to go with the Shield Pro TV so monitor or TV are both fine.

Problem is, being located in Austria, I refuse to pay the fee for having a device that could receive national cable as I never use it. My options are therefore TVs and monitors without any tuner. 

Wishes are 4K and OLED, as far as the rest goes I am relatively unaware of what I should strive for. Should be suitable for gaming and watching Netflix and whatever other content I might download.

Currently my pick would be the Aorus FO48U. High refresh rate, resolution and OLED seem like a very good deal. Current price is about 1000€. 

FO48U is pretty terrible as far as OLED goes, but it should suffice if you only use it as TV and not a gaming monitor (it's perform relatively poor across the board but the main offenders are ABL and poor brightness, which shouldn't affect you too much if not use as a PC monitor)

The LG C2 48 inch - or even 55 inch (if it's not a monitor anyway, then better go for something bigger) would be a much better option across the board. I'll pick that over Gigabye's anyday of the week if price's even remotely similar. 

And on the other side of the coin, Samsung Q90A from last year is also an excellent gaming TV option. You trade some of OLED advantages for LCD versatility while also not losing too much on the HDR front. QN90B fron this year should be slightly better in practice but it seems to have some seriously QC problems (and spec for spec, it's a technically inferior panel compared to the last year Q90A)

Personally I'll stay away from Gigabyte and just get C2 if price are close, or if it's a lot cheaper, then Q90A which should be even cheaper right now (if still available)

14 minutes ago, e22big said:

FO48U is pretty terrible as far as OLED goes, but it should suffice if you only use it as TV and not a gaming monitor (it's perform relatively poor across the board but the main offenders are ABL and poor brightness, which shouldn't affect you too much if not use as a PC monitor)

The LG C2 48 inch - or even 55 inch (if it's not a monitor anyway, then better go for something bigger) would be a much better option across the board. I'll pick that over Gigabye's anyday of the week if price's even remotely similar. 

And on the other side of the coin, Samsung Q90A from last year is also an excellent gaming TV option. You trade some of OLED advantages for LCD versatility while also not losing too much on the HDR front. QN90B fron this year should be slightly better in practice but it seems to have some seriously QC problems (and spec for spec, it's a technically inferior panel compared to the last year Q90A)

Personally I'll stay away from Gigabyte and just get C2 if price are close, or if it's a lot cheaper, then Q90A which should be even cheaper right now (if still available)

Looked into it and the price is like 300 more for some 48" models. Need to read further in-depth. Sadly they all have a tuner.

You wouldn't be aware of a similar model without the installed tuner? One of those show-room screens etc. Not sure about the right terminology.

5 minutes ago, DankYeeter said:

Looked into it and the price is like 300 more for some 48" models. Need to read further in-depth. Sadly they all have a tuner.

You wouldn't be aware of a similar model without the installed tuner? One of those show-room screens etc. Not sure about the right terminology.

Hmn, don't think I could be of much help then. I don't know much about tuner at all, I mostly care about picture quality so never really look into that sort of stuff. 

If you want a 48 inch OLED monitor (which does not have any TV features) and nothing else, then FO48U is basically your only option. It's not too bad honestly, just worse when compared to a proper OLED TV. If you're willing to accept a 43 inch there will be more but mostly LCD option. Other than that's there's Alienware QD-OLED but it's an ultrawide, if you are willing to accept that, it has one of the best OLED performance in the monitor space

6 hours ago, DankYeeter said:

Are you mean in Austria wherever you own the device with tuner then you need to paid the fees even you not using it?

Seriously? How much is the fees? Occurrence or one time payment?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 Vision OC 10G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PGU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2)
Laptop: Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB, Windows 11 Home (21H2), Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB, Windows 11 Pro (22H2)

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz HDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR
Input Device: Logitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos
TV Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar

Mobile & Smart Watch: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 (Phantom Black), Samsung Galaxy Watch4 (Green), Huawei Watch GT (Saddle Brown)

Others Gadgets: Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, Sony MDR-Z1R, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

25 minutes ago, Andrewtst said:

Are you mean in Austria wherever you own the device with tuner then you need to paid the fees even you not using it?

Seriously? How much is the fees? Occurrence or one time payment?

exactly. Never used it but since the device could do it I have to pay 320€ a year.

30 minutes ago, DankYeeter said:

exactly. Never used it but since the device could do it I have to pay 320€ a year.

That is a lot. If me I will also refuse paid for not using it. 

Poor you and first time I ever know got country charging like this. 😱

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 Vision OC 10G, X570 AORUS Elite WIFI Motherboard, HyperX FURY 32GB DDR4-3200 RGB RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 Sound Card, Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 SATA 500GB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SATA 2TB, Asus HyperX Fury RGB SSD 960GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3.5 HDD 2TB, Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R ARGB, Cooler Master MASTERFAN MF120R ARGB, Cooler Master ELV8 Graphics Card Holder ARGB, Asus ROG Strix 1000G PGU, Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH RGB Case, Windows 11 Pro (22H2)
Laptop: Asus VivoBook 15 OLED: Intel® Core™ i3-1125G4, Intel UHD, 8 GB RAM, Micron NVMe 512 GB, Windows 11 Home (21H2), Illegear Z5 SKYLAKE: Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M, 16 GB RAM, ADATA SU800 M.2 SATA 512GB, Windows 11 Pro (22H2)

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" 5120x1440 240hz HDR, LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz (160hz OC) NanoIPS HDR, LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 2560x1080 144hz IPS SDR, LG 24MK600 24" 1920x1080 75hz Freesync IPS SDR
Input Device: Logitech G913 Lightspeed Wireless RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Logitech G903 Lightspeed HERO Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech Pro X, Logitech MX Keys, Logitech MX Master 3, XBOX Wireless Controller Covert Forces Edition, Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless Gaming Mouse, Logitech MK850 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combos
TV Entertainment: LG 55" C9 OLED HDR Smart UHD TV with AI ThinQ®, 65" Samsung AU7000 4K UHD Smart TV, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 edition), Apple TV 4K (2017 & 2021 Edition), Chromecast with Google TV, Sony UBP-X700 UltraHD Blu-ray, Panasonic DMP-UB400 UltraHD Blu-ray, LG SK9Y 5.1.2 channel Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio SoundBar

Mobile & Smart Watch: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 (Phantom Black), Samsung Galaxy Watch4 (Green), Huawei Watch GT (Saddle Brown)

Others Gadgets: Logitech Z625 2.1 THX Speaker, Edifier M1370BT 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker, Sony MDR-Z1R, Sony WH-1000XM4, Apple AirPods Pro, Samsung Galaxy Buds2, Asus SBW-06D2X-U Blu-ray RW Drive, 70 TB Ext. HDD, j5create JVCU100 USB HD Webcam with 360° rotation, ZTE UONU F620, Maxis Fibre WiFi 6 Router, Fantech MPR800 Soft Cloth RGB Gaming Mousepad, Fantech Headset Headphone Stand AC3001S RGB Lighting Base Tower, Infiniteracer RGB Gaming Chair

2 hours ago, Andrewtst said:

That is a lot. If me I will also refuse paid for not using it. 

Poor you and first time I ever know got country charging like this. 😱

taking that into consideration.. thoughts on the Aorus?

3 hours ago, DankYeeter said:

taking that into consideration.. thoughts on the Aorus?

From all comment I seen,  Aorus is not well implemented.