How to host a Windows 11 instance on my desktop that I can access from my Android device

zeetherocker

So I'm trying to host a windows 11 instance on my PC and log into that Windows machine within my local network from my Android tablet.  

I've seen numerous videos on the channel where Linus and group have one PC that can provide multiple instances of Windows from the same HW. It'd be really helpful if someone could help me figure that out specifically trying to do that from an Android device which I haven't seen on the channel. 

Any help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance 

Background: 

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab and while it does work for most of my needs, it'd be nice to have a windows access on it. 

I'm currently using the tablet as second screen for my PC. It works great. I can carry it around the house and use windows from my PC on the couch which is nice. But it doesn't provide the nice Tablet UI experience that Windows has to offer. 

I tried looking for ways to enable that, but nothing helped.

Remote desktop software is probably the easiest solution to access your computer unless you have a reason to want a separate Windows install to use remote.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, zeetherocker said:

I've seen numerous videos on the channel where Linus and group have one PC that can provide multiple instances of Windows from the same HW.

This is called a virtual machine. You run software like VMware, VirtualBox, KVM, etc. that emulates virtual hardware, which you can then use to install another OS, as if running on real hardware.

I assume you'd use some form of remote desktop for Android to connect to Windows. Though you could just connect to your normal desktop, without the need for a VM, unless you need to work on both at once.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Enable Hyper-V on the host machine and you can then setup multiple virtual machines using the same hardware

Microsoft Remote Desktop app on the Android devices to each of the respective virtual machines would do it.

8 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Enable Hyper-V on the host machine and you can then setup multiple virtual machines using the same hardware

Microsoft Remote Desktop app on the Android devices to each of the respective virtual machines would do it.

You dont have to enable Hyper-V to have VMs. You need VT or SVM enabled in bios.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

You dont have to enable Hyper-V to have VMs. You need VT or SVM enabled in bios.

Sorry that wrong, if your not wanting to install third party applications like VirtualBox then you need to Turn on the Windows Feature Hyper-V to setup VM's.

Agreed Virtualisation support needs to be enabled in the BIOS though.

Just now, MrMase said:

Sorry that wrong, if your not wanting to install third party applications like VirtualBox then you need to Turn on the Windows Feature Hyper-V to setup VM's.

Agreed Virtualisation support needs to be enabled in the BIOS though.

Are we ignoring the fact that Hyper V requires Pro version of windows? I personally despise Hyper-V as it lacks MANY of the features even Vbox has, I will avoid it like plague.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Are we ignoring the fact that Hyper V requires Pro version of windows? I personally despise Hyper-V as it lacks MANY of the features even Vbox has, I will avoid it like plague.

OP did not state which version of Win11 they were running and Hyper-V is an option even if its not your preference, the same as VirtualBox is not mine 🙂

Thank you for all your suggestions. 

I did try using remote desktop. It works great. But it only provides me a desktop experience as opposed to the tablet experience I'm looking for. 

Not sure if I'm allowed to link youtube videos from other channels here: But this is the experience I'm looking for 

So my idea was to use my PC hardware for booting Windows up, but I'd use the tablet to control windows. 

Is this achievable by using remote desktop? 

Windows 10 had a dedicated button to toggle between tablet and desktop modes. But Windows 11 doesn't. Anybody know how I can get it work in the tablet mode? 

Also, I have Windows 11 Pro installed. 

19 hours ago, zeetherocker said:

Thank you for all your suggestions. 

I did try using remote desktop. It works great. But it only provides me a desktop experience as opposed to the tablet experience I'm looking for. 

Not sure if I'm allowed to link youtube videos from other channels here: But this is the experience I'm looking for 

So my idea was to use my PC hardware for booting Windows up, but I'd use the tablet to control windows. 

Is this achievable by using remote desktop? 

Windows 10 had a dedicated button to toggle between tablet and desktop modes. But Windows 11 doesn't. Anybody know how I can get it work in the tablet mode? 

Also, I have Windows 11 Pro installed. 

So based on that video they are using Windows Insider builds which are effectively beta builds. That functionality may get released into newer versions of Windows 11 such as the upcoming Win11 22H2 release but this is not guaranteed.

At present though it looks as though nearly all tablet style functionality is not available on desktops or laptops and seems to be exclusive to devices that are touch enabled which your desktop I am assuming is not.

See the following link for more information which based on publication date would have been based on Win11 21H2 build.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-use-tablet-mode-in-windows-11

On 7/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, MrMase said:

So based on that video they are using Windows Insider builds which are effectively beta builds. That functionality may get released into newer versions of Windows 11 such as the upcoming Win11 22H2 release but this is not guaranteed.

At present though it looks as though nearly all tablet style functionality is not available on desktops or laptops and seems to be exclusive to devices that are touch enabled which your desktop I am assuming is not.

See the following link for more information which based on publication date would have been based on Win11 21H2 build.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-use-tablet-mode-in-windows-11

Thank you. I'll try with a preview build and see if it helps with what I'm trying to do. 
Will post an update.