Asus ProArt B550-Creator - Is this a good motherboard any catches

I just shorted out a circuit on the Dark Hero with thermal paste spill. So I am looking for new motherboard to test some Ryzen 5900X CPUs for best overclock and keep the best binned one and sell the rest

Is this a good one:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/ProArt/ProArt-B550-CREATOR/

Is it ok to use for gaming even though it is called Creator Art and not their ROG lineup?? Like is it just a theme difference?

Does it still have a great VRM and good overclocking functions in the BIOS?

Is there any catches to Asus Creator ProArt boards vs their ROG boards??

I do not have any need nor care for WiFi or Bluetooth and know it already does not have those and am good with it. I also know B550 except for top M.2 slot is Gen 3 which is fine with me.

Though it does not have a VRM nor chipset fan and want to confirm that.

25 minutes ago, Wolverine2349 said:

I just shorted out a circuit on the Dark Hero with thermal paste spill

What thermal paste? It’s usually non conductive. 
Are you using LM?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

What the pro art line has is generally better I/o and a few of the enterprise features you would see on the pro workstation board lineup, it’s meant to be used for workstations but not where the user needs an HEDT platform

if you need a bunch of usb, lots of storage options and such, that’s the route to go

think photo, audio or video editing, handling portable media and such

otherwise nah, get a board suited for your use case

6 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

What thermal paste? It’s usually non conductive. 
Are you using LM?

Its not liquid metal, but too much got spilled onto and in between tiny ICs near the CPU socket that I tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and it is stuck between there and impossible to get it it is so small. I do not want to risk running it and breaking something down the road so just going to get new mobo.

I know paste is non-conductive, but that does not mean it is free to spill and interfere with ICs especially when too much is trapped. If it was an itty little bit, ok where as even an itty little it of liquid metal kiss the whole board goodbye.

It probably may be ok, but do not want to risk that conductivity between the ICs is poor and motherboard just fails anytime because of the thermal paste.

7 minutes ago, Wolverine2349 said:

Its not liquid metal

Unless it's conductonaut, it's probably non conductive and thus totally safe to run with. So again, What thermal paste?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

5 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Unless it's conductonaut, it's probably non conductive and thus totally safe to run with. So again, What thermal paste?

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught.

1 minute ago, Wolverine2349 said:

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaught

Nonconductive. You should be fine.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, Wolverine2349 said:

Its not liquid metal, but too much got spilled onto and in between tiny ICs near the CPU socket that I tried cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and it is stuck between there and impossible to get it it is so small. I do not want to risk running it and breaking something down the road so just going to get new mobo.

I know paste is non-conductive, but that does not mean it is free to spill and interfere with ICs especially when too much is trapped. If it was an itty little bit, ok where as even an itty little it of liquid metal kiss the whole board goodbye.

It probably may be ok, but do not want to risk that conductivity between the ICs is poor and motherboard just fails anytime because of the thermal paste.

The worst that is going to happen is that the temp on those IC's is slightly affected. But that is a GIANT if. And who knows, it could make them run cooler 😉

You are absolutely fine and buying a new mobo because of this reason alone is a waste.