P500A Case Fan/Strip RGB issues with Gigabyte Z690 Mobo

GreatLament
Go to solution Solved by GreatLament,

Found a solution thanks to a user on Reddit!

It turns out I needed the system powered on and the RGB Fusion software open. Then I plugged the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable from the case into one of my mobo's ARGB headers and the case RGB was finally controlled by RGB Fusion! I had to make sure to Calibrate it within the software because the colors were mixed up at first, but I eventually got it working. Except for two of the Sync color settings that didn't seem to be compatible with the case RGB.

After all this effort, I just went back to using the stock P500A RGB modes anyway. They look really cool.

I can’t get my P500A RGB fans/strip to work when the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable is plugged into either of my Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X’s addressable LED headers. 

I have 2 ARGB headers. I’ve plugged the 3-pin M/B cable from the case fan/RGB controller into both of these headers. Both times, the case RGB doesn’t light up upon starting the system. If I press the RGB buttons (mode/color) on the front panel, the case RGB does light up but it’s incorrect, showing seemingly random static colors across the LEDs. 

When I unplug the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable from the ARGB header on my mobo, the case RGB behaves as expected. The front panel RGB buttons allow me to cycle through the different modes and colors. 

My question is - how can I troubleshoot if my mobo’s ARGB headers are dead, or if the issue is with the P500A RGB case?

I have connected the SATA cable from the case to my PSU. 

I have 4 Phanteks RGB fans (the 3 that came stock, and 1 additional of the same type that I installed in the rear for exhaust) daisy-chained together for their RGB. Each individual fan is connected to a SYS_FAN header on my mobo. 

Here is a picture of what it looks like when I turn my system on with the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable connected to one of my mobo’s ARGB headers: RhFnnPh.jpg

And here is a video of how the case RGB behaves when I press the front panel buttons while the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable is connected to a mobo ARGB header:

https://gfycat.com/milkythoughtfulchrysalis

Finally, I have installed Gigabyte’s RGB Fusion software (god it’s terrible) and it recognizes my (2) 3-pin ARGB headers and (2) 4-pin RGB headers, but changing the color in the software does nothing to the case RGB even when it’s plugged into that ARGB header. 

I should note: I can get all the RGB to work if I don’t have it plugged into the mobo’s ARGB header. But I want to have all my RGB synced. The Cooler Master RGB CPU fan and the case RGB. Do you think I need an ARGB controller?

9 minutes ago, GreatLament said:

I can’t get my P500A RGB fans/strip to work when the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable is plugged into either of my Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X’s addressable LED headers. 

I have 2 ARGB headers. I’ve plugged the 3-pin M/B cable from the case fan/RGB controller into both of these headers. Both times, the case RGB doesn’t light up upon starting the system. If I press the RGB buttons (mode/color) on the front panel, the case RGB does light up but it’s incorrect, showing seemingly random static colors across the LEDs. 

When I unplug the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable from the ARGB header on my mobo, the case RGB behaves as expected. The front panel RGB buttons allow me to cycle through the different modes and colors. 

My question is - how can I troubleshoot if my mobo’s ARGB headers are dead, or if the issue is with the P500A RGB case?

I have connected the SATA cable from the case to my PSU. 

I have 4 Phanteks RGB fans (the 3 that came stock, and 1 additional of the same type that I installed in the rear for exhaust) daisy-chained together for their RGB. Each individual fan is connected to a SYS_FAN header on my mobo. 

Here is a picture of what it looks like when I turn my system on with the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable connected to one of my mobo’s ARGB headers: RhFnnPh.jpg

And here is a video of how the case RGB behaves when I press the front panel buttons while the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable is connected to a mobo ARGB header:

https://gfycat.com/milkythoughtfulchrysalis

Finally, I have installed Gigabyte’s RGB Fusion software (god it’s terrible) and it recognizes my (2) 3-pin ARGB headers and (2) 4-pin RGB headers, but changing the color in the software does nothing to the case RGB even when it’s plugged into that ARGB header. 

I should note: I can get all the RGB to work if I don’t have it plugged into the mobo’s ARGB header. But I want to have all my RGB synced. The Cooler Master RGB CPU fan and the case RGB. Do you think I need an ARGB controller?

This might be related to your problem.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

14 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

This might be related to your problem.

Thank you for sharing but I had already found this post before making mine. I commented on that post and asked the OP for his update, hopefully he gets back to me soon! 

1 minute ago, GreatLament said:

Thank you for sharing but I had already found this post before making mine. I commented on that post and asked the OP for his update, hopefully he gets back to me soon! 

Well, I dunno how phanteks configures their fans & controllers.
But if the fans have standard PWM cables & ARGB cables. You can just take it off the controller, then plug it straight to your motherboard.
Then see if it change color.
If it is, then most likely it's faulty controller.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

15 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, I dunno how phanteks configures their fans & controllers.
But if the fans have standard PWM cables & ARGB cables. You can just take it off the controller, then plug it straight to your motherboard.
Then see if it change color.
If it is, then most likely it's faulty controller.

Unfortunately I am not sure how to do that. The RGB cables daisy-chained between the fans are 3-pin and they don’t look like they will fit on the 3-pin ARGB headers on my board. 

6DB786BB-55E6-42B2-B884-6AEDF217C24A.jpeg

These cables connect to the controller under the front panel of the case, which then has the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable coming out of it.

Well, I gave up. I left the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable unplugged from my motherboard. I've been using the built-in RGB colors/modes for the case. Sorry to anyone who finds this thread hoping for a solution.

Found a solution thanks to a user on Reddit!

It turns out I needed the system powered on and the RGB Fusion software open. Then I plugged the M/B D-RGB 3-pin cable from the case into one of my mobo's ARGB headers and the case RGB was finally controlled by RGB Fusion! I had to make sure to Calibrate it within the software because the colors were mixed up at first, but I eventually got it working. Except for two of the Sync color settings that didn't seem to be compatible with the case RGB.

After all this effort, I just went back to using the stock P500A RGB modes anyway. They look really cool.