TrueNAS or unraid?

Go to solution Solved by Quantum Noisemaker,

Hey Cin, with that many disks Truenas would definitely make sense here, but you current build doesn't really fit for it. 

First off, as Electronics Wizardy mentioned, don't use those HDDs for Truenas or UnRaid. You want CMR HDDs, so go with the Ironwolf drives you had selected previously or with Seagate Exos, depending on what's cheaper in your region.

For Truenas, you really want ECC memory, since the memory is used for ARC caching. The G6900 chip you have selected here does not support ECC memory, so you would have to choose a different platform if you wanted ECC.

Based on this, I'd stick with Unraid. However, if you do want to go Truenas, I found the Community Hardware Recommendations Guide to be a great resource.

So, im planning on building a nas for my home, after asking on the forum, i came up with this nas build, any improvements should i make and what OS should i run? thanks.

Hello.

Id stay away from those hdd, there smr and shoudln't be used in raid configs.

Id get fewer bigger drives here. 

Id go truenas as its faster, and you all have the same size of hdd, but depends on if you want to expand easily.

Hey Cin, with that many disks Truenas would definitely make sense here, but you current build doesn't really fit for it. 

First off, as Electronics Wizardy mentioned, don't use those HDDs for Truenas or UnRaid. You want CMR HDDs, so go with the Ironwolf drives you had selected previously or with Seagate Exos, depending on what's cheaper in your region.

For Truenas, you really want ECC memory, since the memory is used for ARC caching. The G6900 chip you have selected here does not support ECC memory, so you would have to choose a different platform if you wanted ECC.

Based on this, I'd stick with Unraid. However, if you do want to go Truenas, I found the Community Hardware Recommendations Guide to be a great resource.

1 hour ago, TechguyCin said:

So, im planning on building a nas for my home, after asking on the forum, i came up with this nas build, any improvements should i make and what OS should i run? thanks.

As others have mentioned, don't use these drives. SMR will cause performance issues. ECC is a nice to have and not really a requirement. I have been running truenas core on a 6700k for years now with no problems.

If you plan on adding drives incrementally to add storage and are using it just for file storage (no vms or heavy throughput) unRAID it's good for that.

If not, I would stick with truenas.

2 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

(no vms or heavy throughput)

I actually consider Unraid better for VMs since they'll typically live on a cache SSD there, as for heavy throughput the cache is both read and write unlike ARC on ZFS.

Just been through this and tested both and I'm finding Unraid makes a lot more sense. Besides not having the limitations of ZFS setups if you're going to want to run services besides file sharing the app support is way better, and so is documentation / help resources.

The choice of drive setup to get kinda differs between the 2 so you should do it the other way and figure out the OS first, then choose the drives accordingly. IMO Truenas would be better for a fixed config and little stuff besides file storage, Unraid otherwise.

You do want to avoid SMR indeed, but on Unraid they shouldn't be that bad for the actual storage in normal use as long as the cache drive(s) are CMR with a proper setup since writes will go to the cache and will be transferred to the slow drive later. Could be more of a pain in case of rebuild.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just to throw my 2c in the ring. 

Correct, those disks should not be used in a RAID config..with traditional and striped arrays they can be problematic. 

However, if you are going to go UnRAID, it depends on the purpose for which youre using the storage for. 

If its going to be "write once, read many" such as a media server then those disks are ok to use..however they will suffer write performance which is the biggest issue with SMR's. But we're talking on the magnitude of 30MB/s+ sustained 

If you ever do need to rebuild parity....it will take longer due to the reduced write speed to the new disk (if the new one is also an SMR / the same drive model)

Using a cache drive, then you'll probably never even notice the write performance hit since the data will be written to the array on its scheduled move task overnight (2am by default iirc)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

I actually consider Unraid better for VMs since they'll typically live on a cache SSD there, as for heavy throughput the cache is both read and write unlike ARC on ZFS.

Just been through this and tested both and I'm finding Unraid makes a lot more sense. Besides not having the limitations of ZFS setups if you're going to want to run services besides file sharing the app support is way better, and so is documentation / help resources.

The choice of drive setup to get kinda differs between the 2 so you should do it the other way and figure out the OS first, then choose the drives accordingly. IMO Truenas would be better for a fixed config and little stuff besides file storage, Unraid otherwise.

You do want to avoid SMR indeed, but on Unraid they shouldn't be that bad for the actual storage in normal use as long as the cache drive(s) are CMR with a proper setup since writes will go to the cache and will be transferred to the slow drive later. Could be more of a pain in case of rebuild.

If it is data that can be kept in cache that is okay. But if you are using data sets larger than your cache, read performance is that is a single disk. When using truenas for vms I have a l2arc and slog. The slog helps but writes with 6 good disks are pretty good.