Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exhaust or intake 40mm fans

Hi I was planning on adding 2 noctua nf a4x20 behind my gpu to cool the backplate as the airflow is really limited behind it since I’ve mounted it vertically. In my mind I would say the fans should be mounted as intake since the front intake fans probably can’t make the air go far enough into the case to reach the back of the gpu, so having them as exhaust would probably not do much, but I would love to hear what you guys think. 
Pc case: Corsair 5000D airflow 

Gpu: Asus 3080 strix 

93974BEF-5034-4224-9055-F9D08BFC476D.jpeg

0D77FD82-27B7-4701-BFB6-160D1ED06B54.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

Hi I was planning on adding 2 noctua nf a4x20 behind my gpu to cool the backplate as the airflow is really limited behind it since I’ve mounted it vertically. In my mind I would say the fans should be mounted as intake since the front intake fans probably can’t make the air go far enough into the case to reach the back of the gpu, so having them as exhaust would probably not do much, but I would love to hear what you guys think. 
Pc case: Corsair 5000D airflow 

Gpu: Asus 3080 strix 

At that location & with that GPU orientation,  I'll just put as exhaust.
The fresh air taken from that location gonna have to do a lot of turns and fighting to be utilized by the gpu fans.

One of the thing it'll be fighting is the hot air expelled from the GPU heatsink

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

At that location I'll just put as exhaust.

But do you think that enough air would reach the 40mm fans? Keep in mind I have cables going down behind the GPU as well, thats why I was thinking of putting them as intake.

14 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

But do you think that enough air would reach the 40mm fans? Keep in mind I have cables going down behind the GPU as well, thats why I was thinking of putting them as intake.

At worst it'll just expel the hot air from the GPU from the left most fan. And help "tug" the air towards it even if it's just a little bit.

If air not reaching your GPU left side is your main concern due to intake orientation.

IMHO, It'd be more logical to put a fan inside the case to help move & direct the air to the PCIe bracket.
Like, behind your GPU, near your intake.

Because at the location you want to put the fan on, IMHO, the fresh air at most will only either :

1. Get sucked out immediately by the top back exhaust fan
2. Hits only the GPU backplate for a short time before being sucked out by the exhausts
3. Or both of the above, the top 40mm air gonna get sucked out immediately, the bottom 40mm gonna hit backplate for a bit then sucked out.

Fresh air from that location gonna have to fight :
- The other exhaust fans, which is bigger and stronger
- The GPU backplate & bracket.
- The hot air expelled by your GPU fans through the heatsink fins ( and backplate holes)

What is your temp anyway ?
Are you monitoring a bad thermal peformance on core & vram ?

Refresh before you reply

19 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

At worst it'll just expel the hot air from the GPU from the left most fan. And help "tug" the air towards it even if it's just a little bit.

If air not reaching your GPU left side is your main concern due to intake orientation.

IMHO, It'd be more logical to put a fan inside the case to help move & direct the air to the PCIe bracket.
Like, behind your GPU, near your intake.

Because at the location you want to put the fan on, IMHO, the fresh air at most will only either :

1. Get sucked out immediately by the top back exhaust fan
2. Hits only the GPU backplate for a short time before being sucked out by the exhausts
3. Or both of the above, the top 40mm air gonna get sucked out immediately, the bottom 40mm gonna hit backplate for a bit then sucked out.

Fresh air from that location gonna have to fight :
- The other exhaust fans, which is bigger and stronger
- The GPU backplate & bracket.
- The hot air expelled by your GPU fans through the heatsink fins ( and backplate holes)

What is your temp anyway ?
Are you monitoring a bad thermal peformance on core & vram ?

mostly vrm that gets quite hot, it reaches 75-85 degrees celsius

7 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

mostly vrm that gets quite hot, it reaches 75-85 degrees celsius

IMHO, That's sounds pretty standard for a 3080.
IIRC 3080 is notorious for having high vrm temp.

But yeah, I don't see any way a 40mm fans as intake at that location gonna help with it.
Since the air it provides most likely will never be utilized by the GPU fans at all.

Refresh before you reply

It's a tough one eh. I can see why you think those front fans may struggle to squeeze air into that gap behind the GPU. But will the smaller intake fan at the rear of the case be more effective? Who knows. Only you can test it to see.

I know you don't want to hear it, but horizontally mounting the GPU should help minimise the temps, though I guess that's not what you're intending to do.

That aesthetic/cooling balance is quite the conundrum eh! Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

IMHO, That's sounds pretty standard for a 3080.
IIRC 3080 is notorious for having high vrm temp.

But yeah, I don't see any way a 40mm fans as intake at that location gonna help with it.
Since the air it provides most likely will never be utilized by the GPU fans at all.

Yeah I get that, I meant for the 40mm fans to just cool the back plate but if the top exhaust fan will just suck the air out quicker than it can reach the back plate then I might be better off placing the 40mm fans in the middle behind the gpu ish like you suggested. 

Just now, Andreas Pedersen said:

Yeah I get that, I meant for the 40mm fans to just cool the back plate but if the top exhaust fan will just suck the air out quicker than it can reach the back plate then I might be better off placing the 40mm fans in the middle behind the gpu ish like you suggested. 

Also, there is a high chance the air those 40mm getting is actually the exhausted air from the power supply.
Since it's close. And you know, hot air rise.

Refresh before you reply

1 minute ago, Ralfi said:

It's a tough one eh. I can see why you think those front fans may struggle to squeeze air into that gap behind the GPU. But will the smaller intake fan at the rear of the case be more effective? Who knows. Only you can test it to see.

I know you don't want to hear it, but horizontally mounting the GPU should help minimise the temps, though I guess that's not what you're intending to do.

That aesthetic/cooling balance is quite the conundrum eh! Good luck.

Exactly, I like seeing the gpu vertically but I know that the cooling is overall better horizontally

Just now, Poinkachu said:

Also, there is a high chance the air those 40mm getting is actually the exhausted air from the power supply.
Since it's close. And you know, hot air rise.

yeah I also thought about that, I got a 1000watt powersupply and the fan almost never runs although it probably still gets hot even when the fan isnt running.

12 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

Exactly, I like seeing the gpu vertically but I know that the cooling is overall better horizontally

Eh well, at least you are using a special bracket method instead of pitting your GPU straight up to the glass.

Refresh before you reply

14 hours ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

yeah I also thought about that, I got a 1000watt powersupply and the fan almost never runs although it probably still gets hot even when the fan isnt running.

needs to hit 55c for the fan to turn on. and then i dont no what temp it needs till you hear the fan...

imo the 40mm fan to push any air it will be loud ied recommend at lest a 80mm fan. even if you attached a heat sink to the back of the gpu that would help. blow air at it wont do much with out a heat sink.