RTX 3080 12GB, RTX 3080 TI, RTX 3090

RedhaRay
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

i don't believe Gigabyte uses good components as Asus.

Depends on the card. The ASUS TUF cards last I checked have pretty terrible memory thermal pads stock. ASUS isn't infallible, they've got a lot of good cards but they've also got a lot of really bad cards. Gigabyte 3090s aren't great though and I'd prefer to go with something else. 

7 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

3090 Ti is selling for +2000 here, the prices on this model hasn't dropped here yet.

2 days ago I saw one for sale for $1550 US after a promo code, so I might wait a few days and see if one goes on sale. The 3090 Ti is a much better designed card than the 3090 since it only has single sided memory and doesn't have a super weird VRM design.

9 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

some cards do better than other, on benchmarks some hit 70 other online in 60s and some go up to 80, i believe they are not talking about the memory temperature.

I've seen some 30 series cards run in the 70s, but I've yet to see one with core temps in the 80s. My XC3 3080 is definitely one of the lower end coolers for a 3080 (there's only really the blower cards and the Gigabyte Gaming OC cards that are worse than it), but it still stayed at 72C in game before I water blocked it, and that was with it overclocked with the power sliders maxed out (roughly same power draw as a 3090 at stock), so I wouldn't expect it any of the cards at 80C. 70C is perfectly fine for one of these cards, memory temps are the thing that actually matter with each of these. 

If you don't want to deal with super high memory temps, the 3080 would be the better option. The Strix is a really good 3080, but it's really expensive for what it is. Personally, if I were to get a 3080, I'd want to go for something much cheaper. The FTW is a solid card and the EVGA warranty is hard to mess with, though this will all depend on the pricing of all the cards. 

The 3090 is a good card and if you want to re-pad the card, I'd go for that instead, but if you just wanna slot the card in your system and not deal with it the 3080 is likely the safer option. 

Please vote  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I buy?

• ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 GAMING OC 12GB GDDR6X 384Bit - $1227
    • ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC 12GB GDDR6X 384Bit - $1358
    • Gigabyte RTX 3090 Gaming OC - $1526

Hi, i've built a PC 2 months ago with 5950x,
along with 128 GB of ram as a workstation for editing and 3d modeling and rendering, encoding etc…
i also bought RTX 3080, then i realized that i needed a GPU for my other machine for gaming, so i took this 3080, and now it belongs to my gaming rig, and now i'm looking for a GPU for my workstation.

ASUS  ROG STRIX RTX 3080 GAMING OC 12GB GDDR6X 384Bit
code: ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-012G-GAMING
$1227

ASUS GeForce TUF RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC 12GB GDDR6X 384Bit
code: TUF-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING
$1358

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC
code: GV-N3090GAMING OC-24GD
$1526

------------

Since i'm not going to use it for gaming, as i mentioned it's going to be used for 3d simulations and modeling in cinema 4d, i'm starting to learn Vray and Arnold "GPU based renderers" and motion graphics in both after effects and premiere pro and daily encoding using media encoder, handbrake, and some AI apps like topaz video enhancer, dainapp etc... you get the idea.

i was leaning toward TUF 3080 Ti or the non Ti both are 12 GB, but the 24 GB or VRAM on the 3090 looks good, what made it harder for me to chose is that i've heard horror stories about the Gigabyte RTX 3090 Gaming OC, and how it stopped working only in a few days,

some said to avoid this model at all cost,

and i don't feel comfortable seeing my GPU at 80C, and i don't have the experience to change any thermal pads on the card,
should I go with Asus to make life easier?
For the last 10 years or so,

i only bought GPUs from Asus,

because i only upgrade my GPU every 5-6 years,

build quality and thermals are among the most important things.

What do you think? Thanks.

First off, what market are you shopping in? The 3090 price looks like US pricing, but the 3080 is about $400 more than what a 3080 12G should be selling for. 

Second, the only two cards here that make some sense are the 3080 12G and 3090. The difference in performance between those two is pretty minimal. I would be very tempted to go 3090 (in the current US market the 3090 Ti actually makes more sense since it's only ~$50 more than a 3090 last I checked and the cards are much better designed)

3 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

and i don't feel comfortable seeing my GPU at 80C, and i don't have the experience to change any thermal pads on the card,

With a G6X card like the 3080/3090, you're not gonna be able to see 80C thanks to how hot the memory on those cards run. All of them under full memory load will run stupid hot, with 100C being about average in a memory intensive load like some render workloads. Some cards are better than others, but none of them are good. They'll usually all be half decent with a pad replacement, but you're not gonna see below 90C even with a pad swap on a good card in intensive VRAM workloads. 

19 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First off, what market are you shopping in? The 3090 price looks like US pricing, but the 3080 is about $400 more than what a 3080 12G should be selling for. 

Second, the only two cards here that make some sense are the 3080 12G and 3090. The difference in performance between those two is pretty minimal. I would be very tempted to go 3090 (in the current US market the 3090 Ti actually makes more sense since it's only ~$50 more than a 3090 last I checked and the cards are much better designed)

With a G6X card like the 3080/3090, you're not gonna be able to see 80C thanks to how hot the memory on those cards run. All of them under full memory load will run stupid hot, with 100C being about average in a memory intensive load like some render workloads. Some cards are better than others, but none of them are good. They'll usually all be half decent with a pad replacement, but you're not gonna see below 90C even with a pad swap on a good card in intensive VRAM workloads. 

Hi RONOTHAN##, i'm always happy to see you, my friend,
you've helped me a lot on all my other posts here. Thank you.

The RTX 3080 Ti is selling for $1250 on Asus website,

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING/

3090 Ti is selling for +2000 here, the prices on this model hasn't dropped here yet.

The temperature of the memory is high on these cards,
some cards do better than other, on benchmarks some hit 70 other in 60s and some go up to 80, i believe they are not talking about the memory temperature.

Which one would you recommend? i trust you and usually i end up buying whatever you recommend me to buy all the times.

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 GAMING OC 12GB GDDR6X 384Bit
- $1227
ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC 12GB GDDR6X 384Bit
 - $1358
Gigabyte RTX 3090 Gaming OC
- $1526

Gigabyte model with the 24gb VRAM looks good,
but i'm scared that it would run hot, die very shortly,

And you realize my use case, so you name it i'll buy it,
to be honest, i've never regretted anything you've recommended before,
having you around to help us means a lot, thank you.

2 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

Depends on the card. The ASUS TUF cards last I checked have pretty terrible memory thermal pads stock. ASUS isn't infallible, they've got a lot of good cards but they've also got a lot of really bad cards. Gigabyte 3090s aren't great though and I'd prefer to go with something else. 

7 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

2 days ago I saw one for sale for $1550 US after a promo code, so I might wait a few days and see if one goes on sale. The 3090 Ti is a much better designed card than the 3090 since it only has single sided memory and doesn't have a super weird VRM design.

9 minutes ago, RedhaRay said:

some cards do better than other, on benchmarks some hit 70 other online in 60s and some go up to 80, i believe they are not talking about the memory temperature.

I've seen some 30 series cards run in the 70s, but I've yet to see one with core temps in the 80s. My XC3 3080 is definitely one of the lower end coolers for a 3080 (there's only really the blower cards and the Gigabyte Gaming OC cards that are worse than it), but it still stayed at 72C in game before I water blocked it, and that was with it overclocked with the power sliders maxed out (roughly same power draw as a 3090 at stock), so I wouldn't expect it any of the cards at 80C. 70C is perfectly fine for one of these cards, memory temps are the thing that actually matter with each of these. 

If you don't want to deal with super high memory temps, the 3080 would be the better option. The Strix is a really good 3080, but it's really expensive for what it is. Personally, if I were to get a 3080, I'd want to go for something much cheaper. The FTW is a solid card and the EVGA warranty is hard to mess with, though this will all depend on the pricing of all the cards. 

The 3090 is a good card and if you want to re-pad the card, I'd go for that instead, but if you just wanna slot the card in your system and not deal with it the 3080 is likely the safer option. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

i really appreciate all your efforts, the amount of valuable information you always provide is outstanding, it's always my pleasure  talking to you, thank you so much. Have lovely night!

I think not worth now 3000 series if it's be true 3070 will be 10% faster than RTX 3090 and it use way less power only 300W. Sure RTX 3090 still have more memory but you don't need that 24 Gb anyway until you not play games at 8K. Even with 8 GB is fine in most case for 4K gaming. Maybe 3080 worth if you can find in 800-900 range for new 12 Gb version not second hand and decent model like TUF, Strix, MSI Gaming some EVGA but not that bad quality coolers GPU like MSI Ventus.

Really if I were buying at this point you can get a used 3090 for about $900-1000, you have buyer protection and also get something that the manufacturer will warranty.  With the 4000 series coming out I no longer want a primary card with less than 16GB even my backup computer has 12GB (3060).  With consoles being designed with 16GB (total) in mind, un-optomized ports will likely be an issue with any 10GB card.  I've already had a few (minor) issues at 4k.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

5 hours ago, Winterlight said:

I think not worth now 3000 series if it's be true 3070 will be 10% faster than RTX 3090 and it use way less power only 300W. Sure RTX 3090 still have more memory but you don't need that 24 Gb anyway until you not play games at 8K. Even with 8 GB is fine in most case for 4K gaming. Maybe 3080 worth if you can find in 800-900 range for new 12 Gb version not second hand and decent model like TUF, Strix, MSI Gaming some EVGA but not that bad quality coolers GPU like MSI Ventus.

I've had slowdowns already with 10GB at 4k it is not fine and things in the next 1-2 years will want more.  Unless your ok with lowering settings to probably medium.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

21 hours ago, ewitte said:

I've had slowdowns already with 10GB at 4k it is not fine and things in the next 1-2 years will want more.  Unless your ok with lowering settings to probably medium.

What game ? Btw use "ultra" settings is stupid in most case visual difference is not noticeable at all compered too "High" but you get massive FPS drop.
For example SMAA 4x that is really not worth use you will get massive performance impact for almost zero visual difference until you not looking in pixels with magnifying glass. Btw 4K actually need only if you play on big TV screen but for monitor 27-32 inch 4K actually is worthless better is 1440p with 120+ Hz for gaming. Btw in next few year we should see first games that use direct storage and massive VRAM not be that important anymore.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:25 PM, ewitte said:

What games are you playing that actually use 10GB VRAM at 4k?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

On 7/2/2022 at 1:38 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

The 3090 Ti is a much better designed card than the 3090 since it only has single sided memory and doesn't have a super weird VRM design.

For cooling yes,

but there is an issue.

I have had 3080s, 3080 tis and 3090s and they are interchangeable without performance loss. Basically the same driver setup. 

The 3090 ti is different. It needs a DDU or a clean install that loses settings if you swop it out with any of the above cards.

Since it is different, it reacts differently to driver updates so it may or may not take advantage of an update and can have negative effects where the other cards have positive ones. 

If I buy another card it will most likely be a 3090 since I consider it more main stream with more predicable performance.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:38 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

I went with MSI on the 3090 since it uses heat pipes on the back plate. It has the same vram temps as the 3080 ti version of the card and that is the same as my EVGAs and Strix card. Only the 3090 ti has cooler vram and it is in the 60s.

I was so satisficed with the MSI setup I bought 2 and may get a third if prices keep dropping.

23 hours ago, ewitte said:

I got this too with my Strix 3080 White OC 10gb non LHR.   In my modded games that use more than 10gbs it stuttered. The games were setup for the 1080 ti and 2080 ti that had 11gbs.

I sold it and replaced it with a 3080 ti. 

The 3080 tis are the last cards I buy with 12gbs.

I bought my Son a 3090 for his editing rig and tested it before turning it over. Some games seemed smoother and with my i9 10900kf some games felt serene. That was felt even more in VR.

I had to buy one for myself. 

2 hours ago, Winterlight said:

What game ? Btw use "ultra" settings is stupid in most case visual difference is not noticeable at all compered too "High" but you get massive FPS drop.
For example SMAA 4x that is really not worth use you will get massive performance impact for almost zero visual difference until you not looking in pixels with magnifying glass. Btw 4K actually need only if you play on big TV screen but for monitor 27-32 inch 4K actually is worthless better is 1440p with 120+ Hz for gaming. Btw in next few year we should see first games that use direct storage and massive VRAM not be that important anymore.

For me to was SOTTR at 4k on the highest preset with RT and CP2077 with RT.  I tested against a 3080 ti and 3090 that did not have slowdowns in the areas tested.

These settings are higher than I would use for games so they were not the reason I sold the card. It was its inability to play my modded games smoothly and in the case of my Fallout 4 saves not being able to play them at all. 

That game runs for hours on a 3090, minutes on a 3080 ti and seconds on a 3080. This sort of thing is not new to me. My modded Skyrim LE will run for hours on any card with 11gbs vram or more but will crash with 8gbs within minutes.

Some of us do use TVs as monitors. 

4k can be pointless in some games but not in others. I like for space sims and my modded games but I also used one for work, mainly for 3D design and Photoshop. 

I test all my games at 1080p, 1440p and 4k so I can see the difference.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

On 7/3/2022 at 4:05 AM, Winterlight said:

I will do high for most settings but will do ultra for textures if I can.  Most of the RE games estimate about 12GB and they do slow down after being up a long time and speed back up if you restart the game.  I've had a few other games its not that common but it does happen.

NOTE: I'm on a 48in OLED