Computer Starts and Runs but Random BSODs

GreatLament
Go to solution Solved by alexjzim,

100C is the limit at which your CPU begins thermal throttling. Sustaining that temp is not good.

Turbo boosting is usually enabled by default and is how they advertise (up to 5.2ghz). It is an option in the BIOS.  Disabling will result in lower clocks, prob ~10% performance but i'm not actually sure. Here is the issue:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/134600/intel-core-i912900kf-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz/specifications.html

Processor Base Power 
125 W
Maximum Turbo Power 
241 W

I am pretty sure 241w outclasses your Hyper 212. Turn off Turbo Boost for now, and look up better CPU coolers

Just finished a new build. Specs are:

• OS - Windows 11 Home 64-bit
  • CPU - i9-12900KF
  • CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition
  • GPU - Gigabyte RTX 3090 Ti
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR5
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G6 1000W 80+ Gold
  • RAM - 64GB Gigabyte DDR5 (4x16GB)

I've had some weird issues with performance so far. I'm able to browse the internet lightly, but if I have too much going on I seem to get the "Aw, Snap!" error page in Brave with the code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. It happens randomly, even when a page has already loaded and is just sitting idle.

I opened a demo file in Blender and it crashes when I go into rendered view in the viewport and move the camera around for a bit. I opened Blender again and tried the same thing and got a BSOD: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I had CoreTemp open and noticed a few 100 degree Celsius temps on the cores - which worries me that this CPU runs way too hot for my CPU fan. I'm thinking (and hoping) that this might be the culprit - can anyone offer some insight? It's worth mentioning that after I noticed the CPU temps, I went to Start > Shut Down and got another BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

That's the last BSOD I experienced. I've been lightly browsing the web, watching 1 or 2 YouTube videos, and typing this post and I have yet to run into another BSOD. I did run Windows Update and there were a few updates installed, including one from Intel. Not sure if that fixed anything. I've been monitoring the CPU temps and nothing has gotten too high - although I do have some Max temps in the 50s-60s C and I haven't been doing anything except web browsing, which seems kinda high? I guess I will try Blender again but I'm worried about the CPU temps, I don't want to damage this CPU... It's very expensive! I did build this rig to do 3D rendering, however, so I need to be able to use Blender. I'm really just hoping I was a fool and bought an underpowered CPU fan.

I will report back with the 2nd Blender test.

Here is my Synsative .zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qikQBfKFZRMB9t6gDbu981HH_puBIisE/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't get the perfmon /report to work, it just hangs on "Gathering data for 60 seconds" for way longer than 60 seconds.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip

11 minutes ago, GreatLament said:

Just finished a new build. Specs are:

• OS - Windows 11 Home 64-bit
  • CPU - i9-12900KF
  • CPU Cooler - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo RGB Black Edition
  • GPU - Gigabyte RTX 3090 Ti
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR5
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G6 1000W 80+ Gold
  • RAM - 64GB Gigabyte DDR5 (4x16GB)

I've had some weird issues with performance so far. I'm able to browse the internet lightly, but if I have too much going on I seem to get the "Aw, Snap!" error page in Brave with the code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. It happens randomly, even when a page has already loaded and is just sitting idle.

I opened a demo file in Blender and it crashes when I go into rendered view in the viewport and move the camera around for a bit. I opened Blender again and tried the same thing and got a BSOD: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I had CoreTemp open and noticed a few 100 degree Celsius temps on the cores - which worries me that this CPU runs way too hot for my CPU fan. I'm thinking (and hoping) that this might be the culprit - can anyone offer some insight? It's worth mentioning that after I noticed the CPU temps, I went to Start > Shut Down and got another BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

That's the last BSOD I experienced. I've been lightly browsing the web, watching 1 or 2 YouTube videos, and typing this post and I have yet to run into another BSOD. I did run Windows Update and there were a few updates installed, including one from Intel. Not sure if that fixed anything. I've been monitoring the CPU temps and nothing has gotten too high - although I do have some Max temps in the 50s-60s C and I haven't been doing anything except web browsing, which seems kinda high? I guess I will try Blender again but I'm worried about the CPU temps, I don't want to damage this CPU... It's very expensive! I did build this rig to do 3D rendering, however, so I need to be able to use Blender. I'm really just hoping I was a fool and bought an underpowered CPU fan.

I will report back with the 2nd Blender test.

Here is my Synsative .zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qikQBfKFZRMB9t6gDbu981HH_puBIisE/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't get the perfmon /report to work, it just hangs on "Gathering data for 60 seconds" for way longer than 60 seconds.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip 923.22 kB · 0 downloads

Turn off turbo boosting and see if it still happens.  CPU cooler may not be able to keep up with boost...but I would expect your temps to shoot up in that case.

11 minutes ago, alexjzim said:

Turn off turbo boosting and see if it still happens.  CPU cooler may not be able to keep up with boost...but I would expect your temps to shoot up in that case.

Is that in the BIOS? I don't believe I've turned on any turbo boosting that I am aware of. I did try enabling XMP memory boosting and I got 2 BSODs: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. So I changed it from AUTO (which set the memory to 5200 MHz) to 4600 MHz and it hasn't crashed yet. 

I'm not sure if this makes any difference but I installed Windows on an M.2 NVMe SSD. That's the only drive I'm using currently.

Also, I tested Blender again and when rendering my cores climb up to nearly 100C pretty quickly. I can hear the CPU fan blasting but even at max RPM it doesn't seem to be able to cool things down enough. I guess I should have done more research before purchasing.

100C is the limit at which your CPU begins thermal throttling. Sustaining that temp is not good.

Turbo boosting is usually enabled by default and is how they advertise (up to 5.2ghz). It is an option in the BIOS.  Disabling will result in lower clocks, prob ~10% performance but i'm not actually sure. Here is the issue:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/134600/intel-core-i912900kf-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz/specifications.html

Processor Base Power 
125 W
Maximum Turbo Power 
241 W

I am pretty sure 241w outclasses your Hyper 212. Turn off Turbo Boost for now, and look up better CPU coolers

10 minutes ago, alexjzim said:

Processor Base Power 
125 W
Maximum Turbo Power 
241 W

OK, I turned off both Turbo Boost and Turbo Boost 3.0 (or maybe it was 2.0?) and my temperatures are much better when rendering. The max went from 100C to 60C, so I'd say that's a win. Performance is a little lower, like you said, but it's worth it to have a stable system for now... I will look into better CPU coolers for now. Thank you very much for your help!