Can you return a used cpu? Also is it even worth upgrading?

I bought an i5 12400f from best buy and it's been installed in my system for about a week now. I know they have a 15 day return policy but I was wondering if I'm even able to return a cpu that has already been installed even if I clean it. Also, the reason I want to return it is to possibly upgrade to the i5 12600k. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade anyways? The only reason I really want to is for overclocking because I plan on getting an aio in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Bozer said:

I bought an i5 12400f from best buy and it's been installed in my system for about a week now. I know they have a 15 day return policy but I was wondering if I'm even able to return a cpu that has already been installed even if I clean it. Also, the reason I want to return it is to possibly upgrade to the i5 12600k. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade anyways? The only reason I really want to is for overclocking because I plan on getting an aio in the future. 

$100 difference and 13-16% faster. You be the judge. I wouldn't do it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

11 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

$100 difference and 13-16% faster. You be the judge. I wouldn't do it.

Hmmm. Do you think the extra $100 is worth it though if I intend to overclock? Also, do you know about the return thing?

Return is going to be very iffy. With an open box, they may want to look for signs of installation. Keep in mind that while they likely won't elect to pursue it, they would simply deny the return. But if memory serves, fraud in the amount of over $250 is a felony, and returning it and knowingly claiming it wasn't installed can constitute fraud if they figure out it was. Not the most likely of scenarios, but it could happen.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

17 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Return is going to be very iffy. With an open box, they may want to look for signs of installation. Keep in mind that while they likely won't elect to pursue it, they would simply deny the return. But if memory serves, fraud in the amount of over $250 is a felony, and returning it and knowingly claiming it wasn't installed can constitute fraud if they figure out it was. Not the most likely of scenarios, but it could happen.

Pretty hard to try and scam them, they simply need to look at the box seal. As far as I know, all intel and AMD boxes have a seal that would be pretty difficult to take off without cutting.

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Pretty hard to try and scam them, they simply need to look at the box seal. As far as I know, all intel and AMD boxes have a seal that would be pretty difficult to take off without cutting.

Oh, I know, I used to work retail and you wouldn't believe what people tried to do with stuff like that. Check out LTT's "Fake Ryzen 3600" video, it's a gas. I just wanted to lay down the technicalities of trying to do so.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Guys, they'll likely return or exchange the cpu, no different than Newegg would because they are competitors. There's nothing listed about cpu open box returns specifically unless it's stated on the receipt or something. 

1 hour ago, Bozer said:

I really dont think it's worth it. you already have a really good cpu, sure the other might be faster but youre falling into the endless loop of "i wish my pc was FASTER" which many people(including myself) fall into. Ask yourself why you want the higher performance, are you not getting enough fps in your favourite game? if you're maxing out the refresh rate and resolution on your monitor whats the point of just a liitttlleee bit more performance?