AT&T Fiber Advertising 17ms ping "for gamers"

BenCamps

So this morning I was listening to a Wall Street Journal podcast when I heard an AT&T ad that made me do a double take. I thought this was post worthy because I had never heard an ISP advertising ping. 

I'm pretty used to hearing ads from ISPs advertising "Gig" internet to people that have no concept of how much "speed" they actually need (You only need 25Mbs to stream 4K ) Most people wouldn't notice any difference with 100Mbs  vs 1000Mbs

I think hearing ISP advertise ping in addition to speed is great "for gamers" and is something that I think is something that doesn't get enough [any] attention from ISPs. 

Interestingly ad seems to have been since switched out. I was listening to the episode on Spotify, but now on both the link above and on Spotify the ad has been switched out with a Gigillionare ad.

Recording Link

Probably following in the footsteps of Comcast where they rolled out AQM (Active Queue Management) across their network to reduce latency

Biggest advantage of fiber that I generally try to sell people on isn't even latency, it's reliability. Ever since I swapped out from cable to fiber my internet hasn't dropped out a single time.

The reduction in ping is of course nice though.

2 hours ago, BenCamps said:

So this morning I was listening to a Wall Street Journal podcast when I heard an AT&T ad that made me do a double take. I thought this was post worthy because I had never heard an ISP advertising ping. 

I'm pretty used to hearing ads from ISPs advertising "Gig" internet to people that have no concept of how much "speed" they actually need (You only need 25Mbs to stream 4K ) Most people wouldn't notice any difference with 100Mbs  vs 1000Mbs

I think hearing ISP advertise ping in addition to speed is great "for gamers" and is something that I think is something that doesn't get enough [any] attention from ISPs. 

Interestingly ad seems to have been since switched out. I was listening to the episode on Spotify, but now on both the link above and on Spotify the ad has been switched out with a Gigillionare ad.

Recording Link

for what its worth i think that a lot of podcasts are able to change out their ads on the fly. May even just be the targeted ad you were getting at the moment. I get the "gamer internet" xfinity ads on twitch quite often. 

Well... it's going to mean nothing since ping is not just affected by your ISP. Especially if you're playing a game that's peer 2 peer like Destiny (thanks Bungie). But at least it seems they're starting to educate more data speeds != better gaming experience. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

13 hours ago, BenCamps said:

I thought this was post worthy because I had never heard an ISP advertising ping. 

Well they offer 5 Gbps for under $200 a month while Comcast wants $300 month and your right testicle for installation charges to even get Fiber. Basically AT&T has stuck the knife in to Comcast and is twisting it. Historically Fiber has better ping then Coax based services. 

That being said, I think I have seen other ISP's state they are interested in offering multi gig services. While AT&T could maybe do 10 Gbps to the home I doubt thats in the cards right now. So they need something else to differentiate their service for the foreseeable future. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It definitely can work, but whether AT&T has the real deal is another thing.

Most games use public cloud like MS Azure, GCE, AWS for game sessions now. Having priority QoS routing of UDP packets to those destinations to the nearest public cloud PoP definitely will help. 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:39 PM, BenCamps said:

Recording Link

fun fact 4k compress is not 25mb. its around close to 100 mb. .

your spewing a netflix pr thing. please stop

now onto 1gb.

is it the whole speed direct to isp server and such. from you to it?

is it the the split box that running multi gb/tb fiber hub?

dont forget qos in person home.

also is the line inside house full gb or 100mb (a lot of Ethernet cabling 100mb still).

new wifi router are total bs consumers now...

also their more then just ping to.

how many hop it need to relay.

is their corrupted data in transit and so on.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

1 hour ago, Billbill said:

Doesn't AT&T have to install a modem and a battery system for their internet?  I'm not really sure what their setup actually is.

i not seen many isp to a battery system for the internet modem part for consumers.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

10 hours ago, Billbill said:

a battery system for their internet? 

Generally the battery is for phone service. Comcast has since stopped supplying them unless you pay for it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Billbill said:

Doesn't AT&T have to install a modem and a battery system for their internet?  I'm not really sure what their setup actually is.

It originally was an ONT + Battery module and router for outdoor installs or just the ONT and router for indoor installs but new installs is just the combo unit where the fiber comes directly into the box and you put it in passthrough/DMZ+ mode and use your router if you want.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: