System Crashing Under Heavy GPU Load

ChopstickLeg

Hello, My system has been experiencing crashes while under any kind of GPU load for an extended period of time. The computer will either freeze up, or display nothing but a grey screen, These crashes have been occurring over the course of the past few months but recently have gotten much more frequent, going from maybe once a month to at least 2 a day, though often closer to 5 per day. The issues pop up either when gaming or when I mine on the side and require me to force a system shutdown to fix. I have tried using DDU to remove all graphics drivers, and this seems to work though temporarily. The crashes frequency will decrease for a short while, but will quickly ramp back up to the numbers I mentioned earlier. I am considering an RMA but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas here before I went through the process. The GPU has been overclocked in the past, and those made the issues more frequent, however the crashes still happen even after I remove the OCs. My specs are as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

Mobo: Asrock B550 PRO4

GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

RAM: 2X16 GB Crucial DDR4 3200MHz

PSU: Evga 650 GT

SSD: Samsung 980 Pro

I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,

ChopstickLeg

I suspect the PSU may be a little in the fine line, these days I recommend 750+ for Ryzen 5th Gen with RTX 3070 or lower.

i've had the exact problem with my old pc, I fixed it by replacing the PSU. Iike @MrMase said 650w is IMO a little below my comfort zone with that components, especially if the PSU has already been used for a while

12 minutes ago, remageppesuig1 said:

i've had the exact problem with my old pc, I fixed it by replacing the PSU. Iike @MrMase said 650w is IMO a little below my comfort zone with that components, especially if the PSU has already been used for a while

16 minutes ago, MrMase said:

I suspect the PSU may be a little in the fine line, these days I recommend 750+ for Ryzen 5th Gen with RTX 3070 or lower.

Friendly reminder that PSU quality means more than wattage. Did you know a 12900k and 6800xt run well off a 600 watt? Or that a 5800x/3080(might be 900x/90 can’t remember their exact build) off a 750 watt? 

However, the 750 watt GQ is tier C so I agree, but for different reasons. 
Edit:

23 minutes ago, ChopstickLeg said:

The GPU has been overclocked in the past, and those made the issues more frequent, however the crashes still happen even after I remove the OCs

If you use MSI afterburner to turn the voltage down do the crashes become less frequent? If you turn it down too far it’ll crash more, but a little bit will help. 

Edited by IkeaGnome
More info

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Friendly reminder that PSU quality means more than wattage. Did you know a 12900k and 6800xt run well off a 600 watt? Or that a 5800x/3080(might be 900x/90 can’t remember their exact build) off a 750 watt? 

However, the 750 watt GQ is tier C so I agree, but for different reasons. 
Edit:

If you use MSI afterburner to turn the voltage down do the crashes become less frequent? If you turn it down too far it’ll crash more, but a little bit will help. 

My response was tailored to the posted specs but was a typical guideline, if leaning fully into the response I could have linked to the PSU Tier list but was happy with pointing the OP in the correct direction for their specific issue.

What others have said. I run an 850 with my 3060ti. With a 5900X on PBO, I see 450W on average under a hard run, but transient surges can push it as much as 200W more, which is why I went with an 850 over a 750. I was not playing around with this build. Better to have a slower GPU and be able to afford enough PSU to keep it happy than what OP is currently dealing with. And you really want to be more than 10% under your max load limit.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Agree 100%, for that system, 600W is plenty. Jumping immediately to that is a little short sighted, its only a 3060Ti.

I'd like to know how old the BIOS is on that motherboard. From my own experience with B550, there was a lot of development and stability gained as newer BIOSes were released. 

750W here with a 3090@400W and an overclocked 5800X. Wattage isn't everything but the PSU itself might just be problematic. 

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

I have yet to try that, I'll get back to you when I have results

Hello and thank you to everyone who commented on this thread so far. Just wanted to give all of you an update. I have been trying to get the system to crash at the base clocks to I can mess around with overclocks and using a second power supply to determine the issue. Unfortunately (though somewhat fortunately) I have been unable to get the system to crash at base clocks in the past two days. I have changed nothing about my setup no driver/windows updates quite literally nothing has changed, and the crashes have seemingly disappeared. To answer @GuiltySpark_ question as to what BIOS I am running, it is P2.10. One final question do you guys believe that having my pc plugged into a power strip with other devices on it could be the cause of these issues? Again, thanks for all your help so far.