Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"My Computer is Everywhere" - Planning advice needed!

My wife and I are planning on putting our PC's in the basement and running cables to 4 different rooms on the main floor similar to how Linus did in his video below (video is already timestamped).

Here is what I am wishfully thinking: Each room will have a wall plate with 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and 2 USB-C ports for pass-through connection ( I hope I'm using that term right). Our 2 computers will run HDMI and USB-C cables to the ports in each room. As needed, each room will have a USB-C Hub and HDMI splitter to connect peripherals. 

Here are some challenges that I am trying to solve for:

1. Fiber optic is pretty expensive, so having 4 cables running to each room doesn't seem like I am optimizing this very well. 
    1. USB-C Fiber Optic doesn't seem to be very popular so please school me on how this should properly be done if you can!
  2. Software issues with the sheer amount of HDMI cables that we could have. Switching from the family room TV to the bedroom TV seems simple enough because the displays could just be duplicated. However, shifting from the family room TV to the office with 3 monitors seems harder since the displays need to be extended, but only when I'm using that room to avoid losing my mouse on displays located in a completely different room. 
  3. Maintainance. If USB/HDMI protocols drastically change in the future, I don't want to have to hire an electrician to replace a cable (example: HDMI 2.1 > HDMI 3.1 eventually).
    1. A way around this would maybe to use a conduit & a recessed box instead of a plate but gravity might make that difficult and make fishing harder?
  4. Turning the computer on and off without having to travel to the basement. I imagine there's some sort of tech + app combination for this.

I would like to hear from the community on how they have accomplished a similar use case themselves. Please let me know if you have any questions! As you can probably tell, I haven't done this before! 😅

11 minutes ago, erthwormsam said:

My wife and I are planning on putting our PC's in the basement and running cables to 4 different rooms on the main floor similar to how Linus did in his video below (video is already timestamped).

Here is what I am wishfully thinking: Each room will have a wall plate with 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and 2 USB-C ports for pass-through connection ( I hope I'm using that term right). Our 2 computers will run HDMI and USB-C cables to the ports in each room. As needed, each room will have a USB-C Hub and HDMI splitter to connect peripherals. 

Here are some challenges that I am trying to solve for:

1. Fiber optic is pretty expensive, so having 4 cables running to each room doesn't seem like I am optimizing this very well. 
    1. USB-C Fiber Optic doesn't seem to be very popular so please school me on how this should properly be done if you can!
  2. Software issues with the sheer amount of HDMI cables that we could have. Switching from the family room TV to the bedroom TV seems simple enough because the displays could just be duplicated. However, shifting from the family room TV to the office with 3 monitors seems harder since the displays need to be extended, but only when I'm using that room to avoid losing my mouse on displays located in a completely different room. 
  3. Maintainance. If USB/HDMI protocols drastically change in the future, I don't want to have to hire an electrician to replace a cable (example: HDMI 2.1 > HDMI 3.1 eventually).
    1. A way around this would maybe to use a conduit & a recessed box instead of a plate but gravity might make that difficult and make fishing harder?
  4. Turning the computer on and off without having to travel to the basement. I imagine there's some sort of tech + app combination for this.

I would like to hear from the community on how they have accomplished a similar use case themselves. Please let me know if you have any questions! As you can probably tell, I haven't done this before! 😅

For the HDMI runs why not convert the signal to ethernet cabling such as Cat6a which also allows for longer runs then you may just need to replace the converters as standards change.

15 hours ago, MrMase said:

For the HDMI runs why not convert the signal to ethernet cabling such as Cat6a which also allows for longer runs then you may just need to replace the converters as standards change.

I didn't know that you could convert HDMI signal to ethernet so can I ask you a couple of questions to help me visualize this? 

Do you think you could provide a link to some products? I seem to be finding extenders but none of them support 48gbps/4k120hz

What would the actual setup look like? Would it be something like: Computer > HDMI wired to converter > converter ethernet run to wall plate > wall plate connected to converter > converter connected to room's monitor?

So if I was going to attempt what you had described at present I would be attempting something like this (Please bare in mind I have not looked for 4k120hz but just proof of concept):

PC - HDMI Splitter (For number of rooms you want)
https://www.startech.com/en-gb/audio-video-products/st124hdmi2
HDMI Splitter Output -> HDMI Extender Input -> Cat6a Wall Plate -> [Cable Run] -> Cat6a -> HDMI Externder Output -> Monitor
https://www.startech.com/en-gb/audio-video-products/st121hd20l

1 hour ago, MrMase said:

So if I was going to attempt what you had described at present I would be attempting something like this (Please bare in mind I have not looked for 4k120hz but just proof of concept):

PC - HDMI Splitter (For number of rooms you want)
https://www.startech.com/en-gb/audio-video-products/st124hdmi2
HDMI Splitter Output -> HDMI Extender Input -> Cat6a Wall Plate -> [Cable Run] -> Cat6a -> HDMI Externder Output -> Monitor
https://www.startech.com/en-gb/audio-video-products/st121hd20l

Okay seems like I'm on the right track then! Really appreciate your help!