Exhaust fan making clipping sound

LTTFan16538228
Go to solution Solved by Sarra,

So, do you have onboard graphics?

You might need to reinstall your R9 270, go in to Windows in Safe Mode, DDU your drivers, then shut down, put your 960 back in, and try again. You might need to go into your BIOS and disable onboard graphics.

So I took apart my PC to make a modification to the case and there were bits of metal dusts. I blew these away with a hair drier with no heat, but my exhaust fan is making a clipping sound. There is nothing stuck in it.  So can I use my PC without the exhaust fan or should I change it ASAP? Or did I ruin the fan?

A clicking sound perhaps? Could be a bad fan then. Typically not much you can do other than replace it. How long it runs, hard to say. Usually I've had fans making a slight noises run until I can get a replacement. Worst case, depending on your setup, you might be able to get away without it if it did die. Just keep an eye on your temps, it's not an ideal situation.

6 hours ago, LTTFan16538228 said:

So I took apart my PC to make a modification to the case and there were bits of metal dusts. I blew these away with a hair drier with no heat, but my exhaust fan is making a clipping sound. There is nothing stuck in it.  So can I use my PC without the exhaust fan or should I change it ASAP? Or did I ruin the fan?

Did it start making the sound after you put it back together? Or was it doing it prior to?

What's the rest of your fan setup & system like? If you have a top exhaust fan, then you can possibly turn off your rear exhaust fan & your gear should be fine, at least until you replace it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 3:55 AM, Ralfi said:

Did it start making the sound after you put it back together? Or was it doing it prior to?

What's the rest of your fan setup & system like? If you have a top exhaust fan, then you can possibly turn off your rear exhaust fan & your gear should be fine, at least until you replace it.

It started after I put it back together. I do have a top mount PSU, but I don’t exactly want to brick it… The fan is 3 pin and it’s 92mm, and I have a spare but it’s 4pin. Should I run out to buy the same fan for 3pin? Btw I don’t have a rear exhaust/intake. But my CPU runs at less than 75c with a stock Optiplex cooler, and I still can’t use PC because my new GPU isn’t doing the thing.

2 hours ago, LTTFan16538228 said:

It started after I put it back together. I do have a top mount PSU, but I don’t exactly want to brick it… The fan is 3 pin and it’s 92mm, and I have a spare but it’s 4pin. Should I run out to buy the same fan for 3pin? Btw I don’t have a rear exhaust/intake. But my CPU runs at less than 75c with a stock Optiplex cooler, and I still can’t use PC because my new GPU isn’t doing the thing.

Your replacement with the 4 pin will work just fine. That fourth pin is unnecessary.

What isn't your GPU doing?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

19 hours ago, Sarra said:

Your replacement with the 4 pin will work just fine. That fourth pin is unnecessary.

What isn't your GPU doing?

So I got a used GTX 960 for 85 USD, and when I put it into my system (which had an R9 270) it didn’t give out a signal. The MSI “mystic light” turns on, the fans stop spinning after it gets to Windows (I know that because I can see it on the WiFi settings). I still want to try resetting BIOS using the battery trick. Btw I didn’t uninstall the drivers via DDU. Also Noctua says that if you plug in a 4pin into a 3pin socket it will run at full blast, but it’s an Arctic F9 PWM so it should run at 1800 rpm at max. (Not to mention, I was at a camp for two weeks so I haven’t been able to troubleshoot it until now)

You might need to reinstall your R9 270, go in to Windows in Safe Mode, DDU your drivers, then shut down, put your 960 back in, and try again. You might need to go into your BIOS and disable onboard graphics.

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

I have integrated graphics, I use an i5-2500K in a Dell Optiplex 390 mainboard. Unfortunately, it does not have any graphics settings in the BIOS. I know that because when I tried to enable Quicksync, it didn’t even have a “Graphics” panel. I only uninstalled the drivers using device manager, but technically the old mismatched drivers won’t harm because Windows wouldn’t be able to find the correct driver anyway. But I’ll try DDU-ing it anyway, also with the battery trick as I have mentioned before in my last reply. BTW, the R9 270 is in the PC as of now from my last troubleshooting session. I will put a checkmark or another reply when this is resolved. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 5:45 PM, Sarra said:

I got the PWM fan working on a 3pin header, and best of all, the GPU works after a DDU cleanup. Thanks for your advice!

9 minutes ago, LTTFan16538228 said:

I got the PWM fan working on a 3pin header, and best of all, the GPU works after a DDU cleanup. Thanks for your advice!

:3 No problem, glad it helped.