Laptop and desktop home office

BenneBoii

Hey guys!

I've recently started a job where I can do alot of my work from home. Problem is that I got quite a small space and only room for one desk. 

Normaly this desk is occupied by my gaming PC and 2 screens. I want to be able to use my peripherals and screens with my gaming PC. But then simply plug my work laptop in and switch my peripherals over to the laptop.

Is there currently any good solutions for this that does not force you to sacrifice performance from your gaming PCs GPU? Budget is not an issue and I just want to figure something out that works.

Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you solve it? Simply getting a second setup for your laptop or is there some smart HUBs that could be useful. 

Thanks alot guys.

7 minutes ago, BenneBoii said:

Hey guys!

I've recently started a job where I can do alot of my work from home. Problem is that I got quite a small space and only room for one desk. 

Normaly this desk is occupied by my gaming PC and 2 screens. I want to be able to use my peripherals and screens with my gaming PC. But then simply plug my work laptop in and switch my peripherals over to the laptop.

Is there currently any good solutions for this that does not force you to sacrifice performance from your gaming PCs GPU? Budget is not an issue and I just want to figure something out that works.

Has anyone else been in this situation and how did you solve it? Simply getting a second setup for your laptop or is there some smart HUBs that could be useful. 

Thanks alot guys.

You would need a KVM, something like this.

You would have all of the shared peripherals connected to the KVM.

Connect 1 cable from the KVM to the PC.

Your laptop will likely need a dock of some sort with 2 video outputs.

Connect the 2nd cable from the KVM to the dock OR connect directly to the laptop if there's an available USB port. Doesn't matter.

And of course connect the 2 video outputs from the dock to the 2 screens.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

I'm in a similar position, though with only 1 monitor, not 2.

For the monitor, I use 1 input for my desktop and another for my work laptop. For your 2 monitors, you could use an HDMI splitter, or a thunderbolt to HDMI for the second connection. The best solution for that would depend on your work laptop. 

My mouse is wireless, and it can do both dongle and Bluetooth. I have the dongle in my desktop, and connect to the laptop with BT. I swap keyboards between work and gaming, as I need a full size for work, but prefer a 60/65% for gaming. But a similar arrangement to the mouse would work, if you want to use the same KB for both.

I'm a big fan of going wireless, over wired with a KVM, as two PCs in a small space is a lot of cable clutter otherwise.