Wi-Fi Card or USB

Deepinder

Hello again!!!!!!

I´ve come with new question today, I´ve recently got Wi-Fi 6 at my house and the Wi-Fi dongle that I have doesn´t suport it, so should I buy the Intel AX210 or a new dongle?

The thing is that my motherboard have 2 M.2 slots but none of them have any sign of being compatible with Wi-Fi card and also the card is smaller than the nearest screw hole to the M.2 slot.

So would you recommend me?

Thanks for reading :):).

An Intel AX200 based PCIe card. 

Though is your current Wi-Fi card able to give enough bandwidth to support the speed your paying for from your ISP? If it is, you really don’t need to upgrade. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

An Intel AX200 based PCIe card. 

Though is your current Wi-Fi card able to give enough bandwidth to support the speed your paying for from your ISP? If it is, you really don’t need to upgrade. 

No, no, it doesn´t even get near, for example my laptop has a Realtek card that isn´t the best to be honest but it gets 1200/1200 Mb/s and the desktop only gets 54/144 Mb/s, I mean the laptop gets nearly 30 to 40 MB/s while downloading something and the desktop luckly gets around 6 MB/s.

And another thing, by "AX200" do you mean the "AX210" right?

36 minutes ago, Deepinder said:

And another thing, by "AX200" do you mean the "AX210" right?

I meant AX200. The AX210 just adds Wifi6E support which you'd need IF you wanted to take advantage of a 6E capable router. 

4 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I meant AX200. The AX210 just adds Wifi6E support which you'd need IF you wanted to take advantage of a 6E capable router. 

Its not quite that simple.  The AX210 may on paper only seem to add 6Ghz support, but in real-world usage I found it faster than the AX200 on WiFi 5 too.

There may not be any difference in WiFi 6, I've certainly managed to hit 1.44Gbit on an AX200, but why not have 6Ghz support there in case you need it in the future?  Though granted, WiFi 7 will probably be out by then which is way more interesting.

7 hours ago, Deepinder said:

The thing is that my motherboard have 2 M.2 slots but none of them have any sign of being compatible with Wi-Fi card and also the card is smaller than the nearest screw hole to the M.2 slot.

So would you recommend me?

Thanks for reading :):).

You don't need to use an M.2 version, a simple PCIe x1 slot version is fine.

I generally recommend an AX210 with an antenna on a cable, so you can put it on top of the PC rather than stuck behind where the WiFi signal is likely to be poor.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not quite that simple.  The AX210 may on paper only seem to add 6Ghz support, but in real-world usage I found it faster than the AX200 on WiFi 5 too.

There may not be any difference in WiFi 6, I've certainly managed to hit 1.44Gbit on an AX200, but why not have 6Ghz support there in case you need it in the future?  Though granted, WiFi 7 will probably be out by then which is way more interesting.

I generally recommend an AX210 with an antenna on a cable, so you can put it on top of the PC rather than stuck behind where the WiFi signal is likely to be poor.

I wasn't really advocating for one or the other, merely clearing up the question of what he thought I meant. If AX210 is actually faster for standard Wifi 6 stuff, might as well get that.  

14 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Oh okay, thanks for the helps, and I have another concern, for a laptop with an i5 11400H which intel based Wi-Fi is better? Because I have a lot of issues with the bluetooth and some times with the Wi-Fi too. (The laptop comes with a Realtek card from series)

52 minutes ago, Deepinder said:

Oh okay, thanks for the helps, and I have another concern, for a laptop with an i5 11400H which intel based Wi-Fi is better? Because I have a lot of issues with the bluetooth and some times with the Wi-Fi too. (The laptop comes with a Realtek card from series)

That may be more tricky as some vendors block any card model that they never used in that laptop model.  Dell and HP are notorious for doing it, Lenovo sometimes do, sometimes don't, ASUS never do and I think MSI also though not 100% on that.

I'd always go for the AX210 when possible myself.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)

ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

3 hours ago, Deepinder said:

1. What is make and model of laptop?
  2. Take a photo of the M.2 slots available and post it.

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That may be more tricky as some vendors block any card model that they never used in that laptop model.  Dell and HP are notorious for doing it, Lenovo sometimes do, sometimes don't, ASUS never do and I think MSI also though not 100% on that.

I'd always go for the AX210 when possible myself.

It is an Asus TUF Gaming F15 from 2021.

43 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. What is make and model of laptop?
  2. Take a photo of the M.2 slots available and post it.

The specific laptop model is "Asus TUF Gaming F15 FX506HCB-HN148"

Do you mean the photo of the M.2 slot on the desktop motherboard?

10 hours ago, Deepinder said:

It is an Asus TUF Gaming F15 from 2021.

The specific laptop model is "Asus TUF Gaming F15 FX506HCB-HN148"

Do you mean the photo of the M.2 slot on the desktop motherboard?

That's good, AFAIK ASUS have no restrictions so an AX210 should work fine so long as its as an M.2 slot.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's good, AFAIK ASUS have no restrictions so an AX210 should work fine so long as its as an M.2 slot.

Oh great then!!!!!! Thanks a lot for helping.