Wondering if i should upgrade my cpu, and how futureproof would it be

Kuppi

Budget (including currency): 400-600€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming & game server hosting

Other details: I currently have an I5 9400F. I upgraded from my old 1050 Ti to an RTX 3060 ti, and it's bottlenecked by the CPU in almost every game.

A ryzen 5600X or 5800X would probably be a good upgrade, but how long would it hold up? Would it still be enough in 3-4 years when i upgrade my GPU?

Should i just upgrade to a mid tier CPU like the 5600X or I5 12600K, and upgrade them in a few years along with my gpu?

Do you get the performance needed? No need to upgrade.

Do you need more performance? Go for Intel 12th gen, unless Ryzen is much cheaper. They are faster than Ryzen and have better upgradeability. Go for this or this. 12400F is good value and will probably be good for the next 3-5 years, the i7 would be good for even longer. 12600K is also great but its value isn't good compared to the 12400F and 12700F.

Any Ryzen CPU/APU is an improvement over your current one. Unless you intend to upgrade your PSU as well, forget Intel 12th gen. It's way too power hungry and you already have a 30 series GPU, which have some power consumption of their own. I doubt your current PSU can cope with both w/o cutting out on temps or current draw.

For AMD: a B550 board with 3700X will last you a fair while. Alternatively, consider the 4600G: slightly older and less cores/threads, but considerably cheaper.

For Intel: stick to 10 or 11th gen. and await new releases from Team Blue.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

16 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Do you get the performance needed? No need to upgrade.

Do you need more performance? Go for Intel 12th gen, unless Ryzen is much cheaper. They are faster than Ryzen and have better upgradeability. Go for this or this. 12400F is good value and will probably be good for the next 3-5 years, the i7 would be good for even longer. 12600K is also great but its value isn't good compared to the 12400F and 12700F.

Yeah, it's good enough most of the time, but more performance is always better. Maybe i should just wait for raptor lake or ryzen 7000, and then see if i should upgrade.

Buy a 1440p or 4K monitor and your CPU is no longer the bottleneck

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

That cpu should still be more than good enough for a 3060 ti.