cant downgrade my bios on MSI Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,

Yes, an external programmer is most likely required because the manufacturer has purposely blocked flashing back to an older file according to the onscreen message.

This practice of blocking a flashback to an older version is done by all makers for various reasons, alot of it just being a load of BS but really to insulate themselves from a world of RMA's.

This is an example (Note it's only an example) to illustrate the kind of tool refered to for reprogramming the board's BIOS chip but note there are different BIOS chip types too.
You'd need to be sure of what the BIOS chip type is on your board to have the correct connector/tool to do the flash with - Not all BIOS chips are alike even if they happen to look about the same. 

CH341A 24/25-Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer+SOIC8 Chip IC-Adapter | eBay

Just note I'm NOT saying for you to go and do this, there is a real risk of bricking the board anytime a flash is done and if you're not familiar with "How" a flash routine works it's best left as is - At least the board still works and that's the important thing.

Just remember any future BIOS upgrades will push what you've got along even further, locking you out of any versions older than what you had before.
If the board is working without issue there is no need to flash it.

hello, i have an B350 TOMAHAWK motherboard,
I updated my bios 2 weeks ago to the latest Version an i wanted to downgrade it to another version yesterday.

but somehow it doesn't work as you can see in the picture and I wanted to ask if it works somehow or not

I tried to put versions from 2019, 2018 on it but all didn't work.

kk.jpg

Why you want to downgrade the BIOS? It has some kind of issues?

Anyway, as I can see, you are trying to perform the flash in the BIOS it self, check if your motherboard has some software that does the same from inside Windows, perhaps it has some other options to force the flash of the older version.

My rig:

Case: Chieftec CI-01B-OP "The Cube"

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Rev.1

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

Cooler: ThermalRight Assassin King 120 SE with TF-4 Thermal paste

GPU: NVidia RTX 2070 Super Blower Style (HP OEM)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 2x16

PSU: Itek BD700 DC-to-DC

Desolder bios chip, program on a bios programmer, and resolder is the most obvious way to force flash

Though you could try using an engineering version of afudos to force flash bios, maybe look up ways to force flash bios online

This thread may be of some help but i am not sure if intel me system tools can flash bios on an amd board, worth a shot ig

¯\_ (ツ) _/¯

Some mobos have a BIOS setting to allow downgrade, can look for that. But if not you're indeed stuck there other than external programming.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Yes, an external programmer is most likely required because the manufacturer has purposely blocked flashing back to an older file according to the onscreen message.

This practice of blocking a flashback to an older version is done by all makers for various reasons, alot of it just being a load of BS but really to insulate themselves from a world of RMA's.

This is an example (Note it's only an example) to illustrate the kind of tool refered to for reprogramming the board's BIOS chip but note there are different BIOS chip types too.
You'd need to be sure of what the BIOS chip type is on your board to have the correct connector/tool to do the flash with - Not all BIOS chips are alike even if they happen to look about the same. 

CH341A 24/25-Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer+SOIC8 Chip IC-Adapter | eBay

Just note I'm NOT saying for you to go and do this, there is a real risk of bricking the board anytime a flash is done and if you're not familiar with "How" a flash routine works it's best left as is - At least the board still works and that's the important thing.

Just remember any future BIOS upgrades will push what you've got along even further, locking you out of any versions older than what you had before.
If the board is working without issue there is no need to flash it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.