Want to upgrade from gtx 1660 ti to rtx 3070

Budget (including currency): 500 euro budget is for a cpu and mb. 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: purely gaming, mostly AAA games.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Specs:

i7 7700k

asus prime z270-a

16gb 2133mhz dual chanel

gtx 1660ti

500 watt 80+ bronze

Monitor is 1080p 240hz

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B7F3H2

Want to upgrade to rtx 3070 and I am wondering if 7700k is going to be enough. Done some googling and a lot of people are saying it is, but I can see in some games cpu is already at about 100% with a 1660 ti.  if its not enough what recommendations you have? 

I know 500 watt is not enough, gonna buy 750 watt.

If you're hitting 100% on the CPU, you need to upgrade the CPU in order to see an improvement. The 7700K is a solid CPU and everything, but if you're hitting the limits of it there's not really much you can do. 

I'd probably get an i5 12400(F) and a good B660 board like the MSI B660M-A Pro. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're hitting 100% on the CPU, you need to upgrade the CPU in order to see an improvement. The 7700K is a solid CPU and everything, but if you're hitting the limits of it there's not really much you can do. 

I'd probably get an i5 12400(F) and a good B660 board like the MSI B660M-A Pro. 

Would you recommend installing windows 11 for 12th gen?

I heard 11 has some updates to task scheduler for 12th gen or it's not noticeable?  

4 minutes ago, itsmepaul410 said:

I heard 11 has some updates to task scheduler for 12th gen or it's not noticeable?  

Shouldnt make a huge difference for a 12400f as that only has p-cores.

But I would go for 12600kf with that budget.

1 minute ago, itsmepaul410 said:

The scheduler is only an issue if you're using one of the parts with P cores and E cores. The 12400F is just P cores so the difference between Windows 10 and 11 is just UI differences. 

If it was say a 12700K, then I'd be more interested in running Windows 11, but I do have a friend rocking a 12600K (6P+4E) who has been running Windows 10 for a while now with no issues to report. Performance is what he'd expect with no real issues. Windows 11 will be more consistent with how the tasks are divided up, but Windows 10 is still OK with 12th gen. 

If you are gaming in 1080p you will most likely be bottlenecked in CPU intensive games, but if you should upgrade the monitor to 1440p or higher you can probably keep the CPU a while as it will shift the load more over to the GPU. 

What quality settings are you using in the games that get 100% CPU load? If its not on the highest quality that may also shift the load a bit with a better GPU.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

I agree with @Tegneren

Youre at a spot where you could either upgrade CPU and motherboard to keep up with a 3070 better or step up to 1440p. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

So basically its either new cpu or higher resolution . Thank you guys.

11 minutes ago, itsmepaul410 said:

So basically its either new cpu or higher resolution . Thank you guys.

Personally I would just get the GPU first and see if you need to upgrade anything else later. You might be just fine.

You could also try overclocking the CPU as well if you haven't already.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Your best boost at curent prices would go from 2133mhz ram to 3200mhz ram. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

Your best boost at curent prices would go from 2133mhz ram to 3200mhz ram. 

Does it even support that speed?

image.png

I had 3200mhz on my rog strix z270-e board back in the day..  still using the same ram on my z390-e board now.