Is an eGPU worth it

jetjoel

Budget (including currency): 400

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Halo Infinite

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So I recently purchased an Asus Laptop:

Specs: I9 Processor

16 gb Ram

3070 Ti 8 gb

1 Tb M.2 Hd

The screen advertises 300 Hz

windows 11

This is my first gaming laptop and I guess I was not educated enough about laptop gpus. I am only pulling about 58 FPS. I have a 2080 super in my main pc and I get up to 240 fps if not more. I guess my question is can I achieve a much higher FPS on my laptop and do I have the wrong settings? I was looking into eGPU, and my question is if I had a portable gpu would it make that much of a difference and can I play it on my 300Hz Display on my laptop and get a higher FPS? 

There are dedicated GPUs (PCIe-card based) and iGPUS (integrated into the CPU). Which do you mean?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

There are dedicated GPUs (PCIe-card based) and iGPUS (integrated into the CPU). Which do you mean?

I am honestly not sure, I believe non integrated. How would I know if its non integrated tho?

This is my laptop

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Display-GeForce-Keyboard-G533ZW-AS94/dp/B09RMW1L7Y/ref=sr_1_4?crid=SAD6GAPQJQO5&keywords=asus+rog&qid=1656654609&sprefix=asus+rog%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-4

44 minutes ago, jetjoel said:

I am honestly not sure, I believe non integrated. How would I know if its non integrated tho?

This is my laptop

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Display-GeForce-Keyboard-G533ZW-AS94/dp/B09RMW1L7Y/ref=sr_1_4?crid=SAD6GAPQJQO5&keywords=asus+rog&qid=1656654609&sprefix=asus+rog%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-4

That one has a mobile version of the RTX3070ti, according to the listing. So presumably, a dedicated, but a mobile version with slightly less capability. As to the lower FPS, check to be sure you don't have vertical synchronization or any other image stabilization enabled, most all of these will cut frame rate. In some cases, it's necessary due to tearing and artifacting, but when it isn't, it needlessly cuts FPS. Unfortunately, you don't have any real options for upgrade with a laptop, but if it truly has the 3070ti chipset, you shouldn't need to.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Have you set the power management to high performance?
Also if your CPU have igpu, check whether the system actually switch to the 3070ti during gaming.

Also additional note :

Even in prime condition your laptop probably won't perform as well as your main PC due to thermal throttle.

So don't over-expect.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.