Do B550 Boards Support PCI Gen 4?

I own a rx 6500xt and would love to run it on pci gen 4, I am thinking of buying a AMD Ryzen 5 5600x and pairing it with Asus rog strix b550-A motherboard, would it give me that pci gen 4 performance boost with my Rx 6500xt?

Yes, they support PCIe 4.0 for the GPU slot and one NVMe slot.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Yes 👍

Edit

You guys are on it 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes, as long as you use the top x16 slot. 

Also how much are you spending on the B550-A, usually that board is a lot more expensive than it should be compared to other, similarly featured and aesthetic boards. 

I'm thinking of buying this combo 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes, as long as you use the top x16 slot. 

Also how much are you spending on the B550-A, usually that board is a lot more expensive than it should be compared to other, similarly featured and aesthetic boards. 

I am think of buying this combo https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Processor-12-Thread-Unlocked-Motherboard/dp/B0972FHS7J/ref=asc_df_B0972FHS7J/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533458241275&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5815594547848410224&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026808&hvtargid=pla-1385415075578&psc=1

but if you have any other options I am open

4 minutes ago, Octolikestech said:

Thats a ripoff, heres a better deal

Spend a few $ more and you can have a 12700f + prime b660 plus d4 which is far better than it

Btw may aswell get a build plan cause 6500xt is a pretty horrible gpu choice and im sure theres somewhere you can cut costs like overpriced cases, useless overpriced aesthetics, overpriced ssds, etc.

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Thats a ripoff, heres a better deal

Spend a few $ more and you can have a 12700f + prime b660 plus d4 which is far better than it

Btw may aswell get a build plan cause 6500xt is a pretty horrible gpu choice and im sure theres somewhere you can cut costs like overpriced cases, useless overpriced aesthetics, overpriced ssds, etc.

Thank you, but I really want to get pci gen 4 speeds but at the cheapest price possible so if you could find a cheaper alternative that would be sweet.

11 minutes ago, Octolikestech said:

That's about $50 more than it should be. You can get this (will support Gen 4 as well) for $50 less and it will be just as fast. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kwRHGL

You can even go 12100F and a cheaper B660 board and still get Gen 4 capabilities if that's all you care about, gaming performance will be about the same, though since stuff is starting to use more than 4 cores I would try to get the 12400F if you can afford to. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kYMH3y

Hello, thank you but could you possibly find a motherboard a little more asteticly pleasing, and to maybe keep it amd unless it's that much cheaper.

Just don't put a "G" CPU in it, or it is stuck on pcie3

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

33 minutes ago, Octolikestech said:

Hello, thank you but could you possibly find a motherboard a little more asteticly pleasing, and to maybe keep it amd unless it's that much cheaper.

Define aesthetically pleasing. Do you want a white board? Something with more plastic covering the guts?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Define aesthetically pleasing. Do you want a white board? Something with more plastic covering the guts?

Some plastic over the guts and some rgb kinds similar to a strix board. Preferably black but white accents are fine.

9 minutes ago, Octolikestech said:

Some plastic over the guts and some rgb kinds similar to a strix board.

@Octolikestech - I've added another board here, you replied while I was adding it 🤣

You're not likely to get much plastic shrouding on a B550. My Asus Tuf B550 has Asus Aura and it looks nice, but I've not seen a B550 with a lot of plastic shrouds, you'll probably find an X570 to be more to your liking. From what I've seen, these are about as close as a B550 gets to what you're talking about.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/QN7p99/gigabyte-b550-aorus-master-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-aorus-master

ADDED @ 1:33a 7 / 1 / 2022

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-B550-N7-B55XT-B1-Motherboard-connectivity/dp/B091BK2KXD/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2CRX3GN5IUKBM&keywords=b550+board&qid=1656652910&sprefix=b550+board%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-6

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, Octolikestech said:

Thank you, but I really want to get pci gen 4 speeds but at the cheapest price possible so if you could find a cheaper alternative that would be sweet.

5500 + used b550 or 12100f + cheap b660 (ex prime b660 d4)

If you want mobo armor make some yourself, theres some vids on yt showing you how

19 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

5500 + used b550

This doesn't support Gen 4 though. The 5500 is not a chip that makes a lot of sense for anyone, it's in a super weird place since it's not that much faster than the 12100F in multi core, is pretty meh in single core relatively speaking compared to other Ryzen chips and everything 12th gen, and doesn't support Gen 4. It only makes sense if you really like memory overclocking or you're upgrading from a 2600X and can't afford a 5600. 

From a raw performance and value perspective Intel has an edge at this moment.

PCIe 4.0 really doesn't matter that much either unless you're using devices with very few lanes.

As far as board aesthetics are concerned... ehh. Most people use their gear more than they look at it.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This doesn't support Gen 4 though. The 5500 is not a chip that makes a lot of sense for anyone, it's in a super weird place since it's not that much faster than the 12100F in multi core, is pretty meh in single core relatively speaking compared to other Ryzen chips and everything 12th gen, and doesn't support Gen 4. It only makes sense if you really like memory overclocking or you're upgrading from a 2600X and can't afford a 5600. 

Crap forgot 5500 dont have pcie 4

Renoir had ludicrous imc so i wonder if cezanne has a better imc, after all cezanne do like 2500 fclk while renoir does ~2200-2300

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Crap forgot 5500 dont have pcie 4

Renoir had ludicrous imc so i wonder if cezanne has a better imc, after all cezanne do like 2500 fclk while renoir does ~2200-2300

Doesn't matter if the FCLK can be cranked to the moon, performance with those chips is still mediocre relatively speaking. They're fun to mess around with for memory overclocking, but that's the only real advantage to them.

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Doesn't matter if the FCLK can be cranked to the moon, performance with those chips is still mediocre relatively speaking. They're fun to mess around with for memory overclocking, but that's the only real advantage to them.

Also dirt cheap, 4500 can be had for 100$ here in indo and since these arent very popular chips for obvious reasons (4500 < 3600) i can prob bargain abit too, not bad for a chip thatll do 5000+ ram no problem, board is not a problem when theres dirt cheap "broken" x470 fatal1ty for ~20-30$ (apparently theres quite a few ppl with these in a malfunctioning, untested, or broken state selling for dirt cheap)

5 minutes ago, Octolikestech said:

I'm using a 3400g and b450-m at the moment, if I used a x570 with it would I get pcie gen 4 lanes?

41 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Also dirt cheap, 4500 can be had for 100$ here in indo and since these arent very popular chips for obvious reasons (4500 < 3600) i can prob bargain abit too, not bad for a chip thatll do 5000+ ram no problem, board is not a problem when theres dirt cheap "broken" x470 fatal1ty for ~20-30$ (apparently theres quite a few ppl with these in a malfunctioning, untested, or broken state selling for dirt cheap)

Fast memory does not much good if the cpu is weak. Just “ok” to tinker with, not exactly the best value.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

You have to justify PCI-E 4.0 for a 6500XT. If you game 1080P ultra settings, you might go over the 4gb memory and dump some load on PCI overhead, but we are talking a few frames a second across a bunch of games on an average. So looking at a realistic performance difference of around 3%. 

In my opinion, it's just not a big enough card to warrant a full system purchase. You'd be better off spending the money on a more powerful GPU first that might justify the use of PCI-E 4.0 which few cards would actually "need" in a sense of any real performance gains that would have you smile for the money spent. 

As an example, it would be like saying I should get PCI-E 4.0 for my GTX 980ti (which is faster than a 6500XT) and expect some huge performance gains. Minimal at best.

Other wise, good luck!