12900K right now or wait for AMD new CPUs ?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 hour ago, biascoblix said:

Looking at how much it's gonna cost me. I'm looking at about 1500$ which is quite a lot considering i'm buying a socket that's going obsolete in a few months but at the same time I think it would be at least 2000-2500 to get something similar on AM5 due to being DDR5, right ? 

It's quite a hard decision for me. Not sure If I should wait or not.

chrome_EY5gfzp68i.png

I mean, you can optimize the cost of this a fair bit. The 5950X doesn't need a $150 liquid cooler, it will do just fine on a $60 air cooler like the Scythe Fuma 2. The motherboard also doesn't make a lot of sense, the ASRock B550 Taichi is currently over $150 cheaper and has the same feature set (minus SLI support, but 3070 Tis don't use SLI so it's fine, it still has x8/x8 support since that's the only part of this you need). Plus you can save a bit on the memory by getting something from Patriot instead. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dXL9C6

Still, Ryzen 7000 will be ~20% faster for roughly the same component prices except for DDR5, but at the same time you might actually be able to benefit from DDR5 instead so it might actually be worth it. DDR5, while still expensive and doesn't make sense to get on Alder Lake for a variety of reasons, is getting a fair bit cheaper and while it will still likely be a price premium over DDR4, it'll likely be priced actually sane by the time AM5 rolls around. 

Both ways of waiting or getting new chips now make sense, it basically comes down to the question of "can I live with this for the next 3-4 months?" Plus remember AM4 stuff will likely go on pretty steep discounts once AM5 is released, so you might be able to get that $1400 rig for closer to $700 in a few months if you want to wait and just get last gen. 

Hi all! 
I'm currently running a 5820k and it's really bugging my whole system down. I recently upgraded my case, gpus and PSU so I'm currently looking into upgrading which is the ram, cpu, probably the cooler and the mobo.

I'm in a dilemma atm not knowing if i should get whatever Intel is offering right now or wait for the new socket and cpus from amd. 

I can get a 12900k for about 620 usd. 

If I'd be going with the 12900k what mobo should I be getting. I want something that would fit the two GPUs. not sure about ddr5 or ddr4.. as ddr5 is almost double the price of ddr4 and I need at least 48gbs, preferably 64

My main usage isn't gaming. I do 3D rendering and animation.

Here's my current specs

Motherboard : MSI X99A Gaming 7

CPU : i7-5820K

Ram : GSkil DDR4 48GB 2666

PSU : Antec HCG 1000watt 

GPU : 2X 3070 TI (PALIT GAMINGPRO & EVGA FTW3)

Cooler : Cooler Master Nepton 280L

11 minutes ago, biascoblix said:

If I'd be going with the 12900k what mobo should I be getting. I want something that would fit the two GPUs. not sure about ddr5 or ddr4.. as ddr5 is almost double the price of ddr4 and I need at least 48gbs, preferably 64

If you need x8/x8 support which you do need for the best performance with 2 GPUs, you're stuck going DDR5. The cheapest board I know of that has x8/x8 support is the Carbon or Aero D, both of which are DDR5 boards. 

It is better than AM5 though, of the announced boards only a couple of them actually support x8/x8 support for GPUs. It's likely gonna be a feature that's just only gonna exist on the very top end boards like the Crosshair Extreme or the Ace. Only way to know though is to just wait and see.

Given what you're gonna be doing, both are very solid options and if you're willing to wait the 3 months for AM5 to release it's a solid option. If you're gonna be building now though, the option that would make the most sense for you is a 5950X and something like a B550 Taichi.

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you need x8/x8 support which you do need for the best performance with 2 GPUs, you're stuck going DDR5. The cheapest board I know of that has x8/x8 support is the Carbon or Aero D, both of which are DDR5 boards. 

It is better than AM5 though, of the announced boards only a couple of them actually support x8/x8 support for GPUs. It's likely gonna be a feature that's just only gonna exist on the very top end boards like the Crosshair Extreme or the Ace. Only way to know though is to just wait and see.

Given what you're gonna be doing, both are very solid options and if you're willing to wait the 3 months for AM5 to release it's a solid option. If you're gonna be building now though, the option that would make the most sense for you is a 5950X and something like a B550 Taichi.

Looking at how much it's gonna cost me. I'm looking at about 1500$ which is quite a lot considering i'm buying a socket that's going obsolete in a few months but at the same time I think it would be at least 2000-2500 to get something similar on AM5 due to being DDR5, right ? 

chrome_EY5gfzp68i.png

1 hour ago, biascoblix said:

chrome_EY5gfzp68i.png

I mean, you can optimize the cost of this a fair bit. The 5950X doesn't need a $150 liquid cooler, it will do just fine on a $60 air cooler like the Scythe Fuma 2. The motherboard also doesn't make a lot of sense, the ASRock B550 Taichi is currently over $150 cheaper and has the same feature set (minus SLI support, but 3070 Tis don't use SLI so it's fine, it still has x8/x8 support since that's the only part of this you need). Plus you can save a bit on the memory by getting something from Patriot instead. 

Still, Ryzen 7000 will be ~20% faster for roughly the same component prices except for DDR5, but at the same time you might actually be able to benefit from DDR5 instead so it might actually be worth it. DDR5, while still expensive and doesn't make sense to get on Alder Lake for a variety of reasons, is getting a fair bit cheaper and while it will still likely be a price premium over DDR4, it'll likely be priced actually sane by the time AM5 rolls around. 

Both ways of waiting or getting new chips now make sense, it basically comes down to the question of "can I live with this for the next 3-4 months?" Plus remember AM4 stuff will likely go on pretty steep discounts once AM5 is released, so you might be able to get that $1400 rig for closer to $700 in a few months if you want to wait and just get last gen. 

25 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Really appreciate your help here m8. I think I might just wait and either get the 5950x stuff at discount price or get the new ones if it's worth it. Hopefully the availability wouldn't be terrible and I can grab what you need after they're announced. 

Appreciate the help again. Have a good day! 

5 hours ago, biascoblix said:

I do 3D rendering and animation.

For CPU rendering the 5950X is better than the 12900K, for animation/viewport performance the 12900K is probably better.

If you choose to wait, I would say to wait until the 13900K gets released, and decide which is better at that time. But realistically it probably will be just like currently, AMD is going to be better in rendering, while Intel is going to be better in the viewport performance.

13 hours ago, biascoblix said:

Hi all! 
I'm currently running a 5820k and it's really bugging my whole system down. I recently upgraded my case, gpus and PSU so I'm currently looking into upgrading which is the ram, cpu, probably the cooler and the mobo.

I'm in a dilemma atm not knowing if i should get whatever Intel is offering right now or wait for the new socket and cpus from amd. 

I can get a 12900k for about 620 usd. 

My main usage isn't gaming. I do 3D rendering and animation.

Here's my current specs

Motherboard : MSI X99A Gaming 7

CPU : i7-5820K

Ram : GSkil DDR4 48GB 2666

PSU : Antec HCG 1000watt 

GPU : 2X 3070 TI (PALIT GAMINGPRO & EVGA FTW3)

Cooler : Cooler Master Nepton 280L

I mean if you can wait and you haven't oc'd your 5820k to 4.4ghz yet. You might wanna do that. It's a BIG performance improvement and would be nice to tide you over a little longer.

That or you get a xeon. used high core count higer clock xeons for your socket are pretty cheap. Can easily find a 14 core for under 100$.

13 hours ago, KaitouX said:

For CPU rendering the 5950X is better than the 12900K, for animation/viewport performance the 12900K is probably better.

If you choose to wait, I would say to wait until the 13900K gets released, and decide which is better at that time. But realistically it probably will be just like currently, AMD is going to be better in rendering, while Intel is going to be better in the viewport performance.

My main usage is GPU Rendering. CPU is used for simulations which is multi-threaded and overall viewport performance which some of it is still single threaded. Is Intel still better in single threaded performance ? 

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

I mean if you can wait and you haven't oc'd your 5820k to 4.4ghz yet. You might wanna do that. It's a BIG performance improvement and would be nice to tide you over a little longer.

That or you get a xeon. used high core count higer clock xeons for your socket are pretty cheap. Can easily find a 14 core for under 100$.

Nope. Haven't OCed yet. My mobo has been iffy lately so I don't wanna do something that messes thing up. It's my main PC for work and if it goes down, im screwed.

XEONs aren't widely available here. I'm not based in the US. I'm only buying off Amazon US as they let you know very clearly what you'll paying for the taxes and shipping and they're surprisingly cheaper that buying locally here.