A new Pi joins the family - The Raspberry Pi foundation released the Raspberry Pi Pico W a 6$ microcontroller for IOT

AndreiArgeanu

Summary

The Raspberry Pi foundation has released the Raspberry Pi Pico W a micro controller equipped with their RP2040 micro controller and now includes 802.11n wireless networking priced at 6$. Additionally an official Raspberry Pi Pico H has also been released which is a Raspberry Pi Pico with pre soldered headers including a 3 pin debug connector. A Pi Pico WH is expected to follow in August.

Quotes

Since launch, we’ve sold nearly two million Pico boards, and RP2040 has found its way into a huge number of third-party products. We always believed that RP2040 was a great fit for commercial and industrial applications, but the global semiconductor shortage has vastly accelerated adoption. With millions of units on hand today, and pipeline in place for tens of millions more, design engineers who have been let down by their current suppliers have a perfect excuse to experiment.

Fast cores, large memory, and flexible interfacing make RP2040 a natural building block for Internet of Things (IoT) applications. But Pico itself has one obvious missing feature for IoT: a method for connecting to the network. Now, this is about to change.

Today, we’re launching three new members of the Pico family. Raspberry Pi Pico W is priced at $6, and brings 802.11n wireless networking to the Pico platform, while retaining complete pin compatibility with its older sibling. Pico H ($5) and Pico WH ($7) add pre-populated headers, and our new 3-pin debug connector, to Pico and Pico W respectively. Pico H and Pico W are available today; Pico WH will follow in August.

We’ve worked with our friends at Infineon to add their CYW43439 wireless chip to Pico W. Like all modern Raspberry Pi boards, the radio circuitry is encapsulated in a metal shield can, reducing compliance costs for customers who want to integrate it into their own products.

Eagle-eyed readers of datasheets will notice that CYW43439 supports both Bluetooth Classic and Bluetooth Low-Energy: we have not enabled Bluetooth on Pico W at launch, but may do so in the future.

1081629647_transparentpicoh.png.1d3235bccb688d8a4b0c580b2dc28d83.png1734938841_picowtrasnparent.png.5d2b9a9e82eb7db5343bcddf0f78bd68.png

My thoughts

I think this is a great addition to the Pi family, a ultra low cost Wi-Fi and potentially bluetooth micro controller that's widely available. Great for IOT applications, might end up using this myself for some home automation applications. The Pico H and WH are also much needed additions since few retailers had the option to buy the Pico with a pre soldered header, never mind a debug port but now these options should make the Pico much more accessible and I expect the H and WH models to be the best selling overall to consumers.

Sources

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/raspberry-pi-pico-w-your-6-iot-platform/

Damn, I was hoping for a pi 5 lol

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Sadly I still cant buy a Pi 3, 4 or zero 😞 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

32 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That's a shame. I got lucky since I bought Zero 2W around launch. And the pi 4 long before shortages. Current lead time for Pi 3B and Pi 4B is 27/02/2023 and for the Zero 2W is 03/04/2023 in the UK. I hope they were just over estimating, it genuinely seems way too long. I guess them being used commercially had a massive toll on the general availability to the public. At least their micro controllers will be available in large quantities and hardly go out of stock and they're cheap which is why this release is great. Maybe people will start using these micro controller more often in cases where the features of a Zero or Pi 3/4 is not needed.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

You can, you just have to pay about $200 for it 😄

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Wasn't it said that picos were overpriced?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

30 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Wasn't it said that picos were overpriced?

The devboards? Nah, they're just a tad bit over other devboards just as the esp32.

As for main mass purchases of the ICs themselves, I have no idea.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I'll be happy when there's a pi5 that can pretty much serve as a "parent machine" - think something that can run youtube and netflix with ease and is fine for email and very basic office work.

I think we need a few more doublings of compute power.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

12 hours ago, Lurick said:

You can, you just have to pay about $200 for it 😄

seriously?  .......i'm thinking maybe I should give ebay a looksee..

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Interesting. I'm defo interested in buying the WH model when that comes out.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, cmndr said:

I'll be happy when there's a pi5 that can pretty much serve as a "parent machine" - think something that can run youtube and netflix with ease and is fine for email and very basic office work.

I think we need a few more doublings of compute power.

Media consumption wouldn't be a problem if browsers actually tapped onto its decoders, but sadly the state of linux media decoding with browsers is sad 😞

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

seriously?  .......i'm thinking maybe I should give ebay a looksee..

Yup, I was looking to get a Pi4 the other day and that was $200 the Pi3 B+ was $250 at least on Amazon via third party sellers of course.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

20 hours ago, Helpful Tech Witch said:

Damn, I was hoping for a pi 5 lol

Let people get their hands on pi 4s first 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

It depends on where you live, Canakit has some Raspberry Pi 4 kits some of which have 4 GB so not just the 2 GB version and they are between 140 and 170 Canadian

15 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Let people get their hands on pi 4s first 

i got a pi4 8gb a year and a half ago for msrp lol

i need more power

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

22 hours ago, Lurick said:

Yup, I was looking to get a Pi4 the other day and that was $200 the Pi3 B+ was $250 at least on Amazon via third party sellers of course.

i got a pi 3..and a pi zero..unused..sitting in my project box..for a good couple of years now and the likelyhood of getting around to using them is low..,,definitly should look at passing it along if the prices are good..

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Definitely useful for projects that need multiple analog pins since D1-Mini Clones only come with 1 ADC.

The amount of GPIO on raspi is just real dandy
spacer.png
VS
pico-gpios.png

19 minutes ago, Assimov said:

Definitely useful for projects that need multiple analog pins since D1-Mini Clones only come with 1 ADC.

The amount of GPIO on raspi is just real dandy
spacer.png
VS
pico-gpios.png

There are D1-Minis with ESP32s instead of the esp8266, with builtin bt and wifi on the same SoC, so the final board would be smaller than a rp2040+its wifi companion.

Lenovo N23 Yoga