What should I buy or should I buy anything at all?

Hello everybody!

So right now I work traveling a lot, I like gaming so I obviously have a gaming laptop (Legion 5 2020 AMD). This laptop has been great and still is, and it wasn't that expensive. But at the end of the day, is a 2.5 Kg laptop with 15 inch screen which makes it somewhat uncomfortable to carry around when I'm actually working going from the office to the site and vice versa (construction/project site).

So i was wondering how viable would be having two laptops, my gaming, multimedia, and entertainment laptop, and my work/carry around laptop/tablet.

I see three options here:

1. Gaming laptop + tablet/2on1

2. Gaming laptop + 13 inch laptop

3. Spending big in a more portable laptop

Have in mind that I am a heavy windows user, and I use Microsoft 365 a lot, this makes me wonder how unviable would be having an iPad for instance, and if an Android/Chromebook table/2on1 is actually viable. Windows tablets are very expensive, but are they worth it? 

Spending big in let's say an Asus G14 seems really interesting, but I have heard some bad things about the G14 having some durability issues, i don't know how real this is.

I appreciate reliability a lot, that is why I went for this legion 5. Easy to open and service, great cooling system, it doesn't go over 70° while gaming, and the screen is decent for a 1080p panel, which honestly is enough for me.

What you guys think? What would you recommend in this case? 

Why do you need a gaming laptop? Gaming laptops are just way inferior to desktops 

I understand you need a work laptop but could you use a gaming desktop rather?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Honestly I am not sure what you work on but for me as someone who worked in the fire protection industry I preferred to use a tablet when visting construction sites as I found most of the time using a laptop was super inconvenient. Granted I used an iPad but again usually when I was on site I didn't do much other than marking up pdfs. This was fairly popular way to do things in my firm as tablets are just much easier to look at drawings while on site compared to laptops. I know some also use windows surface tablet as well because they preferred it over an iPad. 

14 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Why do you need a gaming laptop? Gaming laptops are just way inferior to desktops 

I understand you need a work laptop but could you use a gaming desktop rather?

I mention that I work travelling a lot, and with travelling a mean around 3 months in the project, that means that I will mostly be out of home, that is why I prefer a gaming laptop.

14 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I am not sure what you work on but for me as someone who worked in the fire protection industry I preferred to use a tablet when visting construction sites as I found most of the time using a laptop was super inconvenient. Granted I used an iPad but again usually when I was on site I didn't do much other than marking up pdfs. This was fairly popular way to do things in my firm as tablets are just much easier to look at drawings while on site compared to laptops. I know some also use windows surface tablet as well because they preferred it over an iPad. 

This is nice insight, thank you. I work in the oil industry so this is a good example for me. I haven't ruled out the iPad, I have to investigate how smooth it goes with windows PCs and Android phones. Windows surface is definitely a good alternative, but it is also really expensive depending on what I get. There is an interesting option in the Asus Slate which is much cheaper and has fairly good performance.

2 hours ago, JonathanJol said:

I mention that I work travelling a lot, and with travelling a mean around 3 months in the project, that means that I will mostly be out of home, that is why I prefer a gaming laptop.

Ok understood (was not sure if you stayed for long away from home or just moved nearby during workdays)

Then what's your budget and what's your type of gaming ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

51 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Ok understood (was not sure if you stayed for long away from home or just moved nearby during workdays)

Then what's your budget and what's your type of gaming ?

Now that I think about it I was not really specific, anyway. My type of gaming varies a lot, the game I played the most is Star Wars Squadrons (MOBAish arcade flight sim), and elden ring. FPSs, RPGs, Story driven adventures, multiplayer games (apex, valorant...)... I do a bit of all. 

I don't really have a set budget, I'm willing to spent for what is worth, but I don't like to spend for extra fancy RGB or ultra 4k that I don't really use, I like to spend on good cooling systems, reliability, and fairly good screen. My current laptop is a Legion 5 2020 with a Ryzen 7 and a 1660 Ti 1080p 144Hz, my budget was low at the moment, but if I had more I could have gone for 2070 and a bigger battery for sure. I'm not super interested on changing this one yet, unless i go for the option of going for a more compact gaming laptop, though I know it would be really expensive. To clarify my doubt, I'm not sure if it would be better to buy a secondary laptop/tablet, or just a more compact gaming laptop.

For instance, in the future I could go for a current gen AMD legion 5 and the very compact secondary laptop/tablet, or maybe just buy a compact gaming laptop like the Asus G14. Again, stuff like reliability, cooling systems, and also repairability is what is important to me.

"stuff like reliability, cooling systems, and also repairability is what is important to me"... Unfortunately laptops are mostly build without any of those considerations, and sometimes to the complete contrary, they're fragile, not evolutive, badly cooled and unrepairable  !