Filezilla Server Admin Panel Issues

On a computer configured previously to have a Windows 10 based FTP server, I downloaded Filezilla Server 1.4.1 to set it up. After messing with this headache program for a little while, I seem to have an issue of greyed out options and not being able to configure anything. Under the Server option, I only have connect and disconnect which gives me this:

GnuTLS error - 15:An unexpected TLS packet was recieved.

Failed securing connection, Reason: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted.

Session ended with error from source 0. Reason: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted.

Disconnected from server (ip address) with error 106 (ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted).

Attempting reconnection to server (ip address) in 2 seconds...

(Repeating loop)

So what I did was install server from website, leave default stuff, set adminstraton password, then Filezilla asked me to take note of some fingerprint thing. It asked me if I recognize the fingerprint, I said yes. Then it gave me the connection window which I put port 21 in the box and the admin password. I cannot click the configure option. There's nothing else I can do except uninstall. If this program is really this bad, is there a better one I can use?

I'm confused, you posted a thread 7 hours ago saying you dont want to use Filezilla Server, and then this one 4 hours ago that you're using Filezilla Server?

Either way, is this error in the Filezilla Server admin console or is this error shown in your client? 

What "configure" option are you talking about? Filezilla Server only has an Edit > Settings ....is this what you're talking about?

In your Filezilla Server admin console does it say you're logged on? 

The connection window should look something like this 

image.png.840acdfea0adfc43f3059548c78fd040.png

Then if you connect it should look like this

image.png.43ba7124211b57ea0e331f98fc9153f4.png

A successful connection from your client should look like this 

image.png.e5273de1e560dd90050567920c8e5add.png

The TLS error would indicate to me that you have a certificate or port config error. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

I'm confused, you posted a thread 7 hours ago saying you dont want to use Filezilla Server, and then this one 4 hours ago that you're using Filezilla Server?

Either way, is this error in the Filezilla Server admin console or is this error shown in your client? 

What "configure" option are you talking about? Filezilla Server only has an Edit > Settings ....is this what you're talking about?

In your Filezilla Server admin console does it say you're logged on? 

The connection window should look something like this 

image.png.840acdfea0adfc43f3059548c78fd040.png

Then if you connect it should look like this

image.png.43ba7124211b57ea0e331f98fc9153f4.png

A successful connection from your client should look like this 

image.png.e5273de1e560dd90050567920c8e5add.png

The TLS error would indicate to me that you have a certificate or port config error. 

My other thread died before I got the advice I was looking for and I said the hell with it, I'll download fz. A lot can happen in a few hours. I'm using the server admin, not the client to connect to a server. I followed along to a few video tutorials and they were able to download, install, and jump right into configuring. For me, there's a drop-down menu called server with connect, disconnect, configure and one other option. I can't access the config option. 

9 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

My other thread died before I got the advice I was looking for and I said the hell with it, I'll download fz. A lot can happen in a few hours. I'm using the server admin, not the client to connect to a server. I followed along to a few video tutorials and they were able to download, install, and jump right into configuring. For me, there's a drop-down menu called server with connect, disconnect, configure and one other option. I can't access the config option. 

But the thread is only 7 hours old, how can it have "died" ? 

OK so since we're using the server admin, its just a "console", you have to be connected to the server to be able to configure it. 

When you click on Connect and put in the details as above, does it connect? You shouldnt be trying to connect to port 21. By default the admin interface is port 14147

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

51 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

But the thread is only 7 hours old, how can it have "died" ? 

OK so since we're using the server admin, its just a "console", you have to be connected to the server to be able to configure it. 

When you click on Connect and put in the details as above, does it connect? You shouldnt be trying to connect to port 21. By default the admin interface is port 14147

Sorry to double post, but I think if I edit, nobody will see it. So the last 20 people leading me to believe that filezilla isn't it's own server were wrong and fz actually has to operate under an already configured server from iis? Is that what you're saying? If that's the case, what good is it?

What's your use case for this file server?

For quick-and-dirty transfers to really old machines, I use this one:

http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html/quick__n_easy_ftp_server_lite.html

It's self-contained and gets the job done without a ton of complaining. Just about anything with a TCP stack supports FTP, and I've used this for ancient Macs and DOS machines. I have not exposed it to the open Internet. (Self-hosting unencrypted FTP is asking for trouble, anyway.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What's your use case for this file server?

For quick-and-dirty transfers to really old machines, I use this one:

http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html/quick__n_easy_ftp_server_lite.html

It's self-contained and gets the job done without a ton of complaining. Just about anything with a TCP stack supports FTP, and I've used this for ancient Macs and DOS machines. I have not exposed it to the open Internet. (Self-hosting unencrypted FTP is asking for trouble, anyway.)

It's this a server itself that'll run without an existing iis or is it a client that just connects to the server and won't actually act as a server standalone? That's the idea I have about filezilla now. My use case is that I have my gaming laptop from 2017 and I use it as YouTube video storage. Also, this is an ftp learning experience for me, but as you can tell, the only lesson I'm learning is if you're going to ftp, iis is literally the only way to do it without going outer OS. Things like filezilla HAVE to have an existing server through iis to even function.

1 minute ago, Selestialnorre said:

It's this a server itself that'll run without an existing iis or is it a client that just connects to the server and won't actually act as a server standalone? That's the idea I have about filezilla now.

The one I linked to is self-contained, but doesn't have a web admin interface.

Definitely don't port forward to it on your router, though. I can't vouch for its security (which FTP really doesn't have in the first place), I only use it as a "lowest common denominator" for shuffling files around.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The one I linked to is self-contained, but doesn't have a web admin interface.

Definitely don't port forward to it on your router, though. I can't vouch for its security (which FTP really doesn't have in the first place), I only use it as a "lowest common denominator" for shuffling files around.

When you say self contained, does that mean I don't need an existing ftp configured through iis? I deleted it out of frustration because every time the power goes out, the ip changes and it's just easier to create the server from scratch rather then try to figure it how to fix it. I got sick of this and deleted it, didn't remake it and downloaded filezilla.

18 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

When you say self contained, does that mean I don't need an existing ftp configured through iis?

Yes. It's just an application that runs. You don't need to configure anything else to make it work.

18 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

I deleted it out of frustration because every time the power goes out, the ip changes and it's just easier to create the server from scratch rather then try to figure it how to fix it.

Your local machine's IP, or your WAN IP address? Setting a local static address is easy, but on the WAN side you have to either set up dynamic DNS or get business-class service.

No FTP server software running on top of Windows will set a static IP address on its own. You have to go through the OS for that (either on your machine directly or on a virtual machine).

1 hour ago, Selestialnorre said:

Sorry to double post, but I think if I edit, nobody will see it. So the last 20 people leading me to believe that filezilla isn't it's own server were wrong and fz actually has to operate under an already configured server from iis? Is that what you're saying? If that's the case, what good is it?

Filezilla Server is an FTP Server, it does not require any other software to function as an FTP server. 

The part you arent understanding, is the Administration Console is part of the Filezilla Package, it is not the FTP Server itself. The console connects to the server. You could have the FTP Server running on one computer, and the console on another and connect the console remotely to the admin port of the FTP Server. 

The issue, as I already said, Is that you're trying to connect the Administration Console to port 21 which is the FTP sharing port. It needs to be connected to the Administration port which you configured in that video to the default of 14148. 

54 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

When you say self contained, does that mean I don't need an existing ftp configured through iis? I deleted it out of frustration because every time the power goes out, the ip changes and it's just easier to create the server from scratch rather then try to figure it how to fix it. I got sick of this and deleted it, didn't remake it and downloaded filezilla.

If this is happening internally, the most likely cause is a dynamic IP address. 

If the machine your FTP Server is running on is using DHCP without a reservation on your router, then the IP will periodically change when the machine is off / network reset. Probably whats happening is that you have your IIS bound to the local IP address (e.g 192.168.1.100) instead of "all interfaces" (i.e 0.0.0.0).

The solution to this is either 1) Make a DHCP Reservation in your router or set the IP address statically in Windows for the server, so it doesnt change; or 2) Make sure IIS is bound to 0.0.0.0 so it listens on all network interfaces. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

Filezilla Server is an FTP Server, it does not require any other software to function as an FTP server. 

The part you arent understanding, is the Administration Console is part of the Filezilla Package, it is not the FTP Server itself. The console connects to the server. You could have the FTP Server running on one computer, and the console on another and connect the console remotely to the admin port of the FTP Server. 

The issue, as I already said, Is that you're trying to connect the Administration Console to port 21 which is the FTP sharing port. It needs to be connected to the Administration port which you configured in that video to the default of 14148. 

If this is happening internally, the most likely cause is a dynamic IP address. 

If the machine your FTP Server is running on is using DHCP without a reservation on your router, then the IP will periodically change when the machine is off / network reset. Probably whats happening is that you have your IIS bound to the local IP address (e.g 192.168.1.100) instead of "all interfaces" (i.e 0.0.0.0).

The solution to this is either 1) Make a DHCP Reservation in your router or set the IP address statically in Windows for the server, so it doesnt change; or 2) Make sure IIS is bound to 0.0.0.0 so it listens on all network interfaces. 

How do I configure the actual server? I thought adminFZ server would do that and the other two icons are stop and start server which do nothing. How do I set up the server? Do I need to download a different program?

Just to clarify, I watched about10 videos like this which led me to believe exactly what I did in my video was creating the server. They don't show anything else, there are no other videos that do different. Even Linus in that 9 year old super low res video I couldn't see. 

1 hour ago, Selestialnorre said:

How do I configure the actual server? I thought adminFZ server would do that and the other two icons are stop and start server which do nothing. How do I set up the server? Do I need to download a different program?

Just to clarify, I watched about10 videos like this which led me to believe exactly what I did in my video was creating the server. They don't show anything else, there are no other videos that do different. Even Linus in that 9 year old super low res video I couldn't see. 

I just told you. 

The Administrator Console has to be connected to the "server" before you can configure anything. 

In the connection window, make sure you're connecting to "localhost" on port 14148, not on Port 21 like you were in your video. 

Once its connected then you can configure it. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

I just told you. 

The Administrator Console has to be connected to the "server" before you can configure anything. 

In the connection window, make sure you're connecting to "localhost" on port 14148, not on Port 21 like you were in your video. 

Once its connected then you can configure it. 

Okay, so when I do what you told me to do, it gives me an error saying "Couldn't connect to the server. The password is not valid. This is with or without a password in the field. I can't even get to the point where I can create the server. I'm using all the ports you told me to use. This is why I ask if there needs to be an FTP site setup in IIS before any of this will work at all.

2 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

Okay, so when I do what you told me to do, it gives me an error saying "Couldn't connect to the server. The password is not valid. This is with or without a password in the field. I can't even get to the point where I can create the server. I'm using all the ports you told me to use. This is why I ask if there needs to be an FTP site setup in IIS before any of this will work at all.

If it says the password is not valid, then you arent using the password you set initially. 

I just updated it to use the latest, this is the connection screen:

image.png.4c3eb7509b3d93d5e8560b30a1c76df6.png

And then once connected:

image.png.2403fad011495b194141471fd426cf9f.png

This article here details how to reset the password: https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Password_reset

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

If it says the password is not valid, then you arent using the password you set initially. 

image.png.4c3eb7509b3d93d5e8560b30a1c76df6.png

And then once connected:

image.png.2403fad011495b194141471fd426cf9f.png

This article here details how to reset the password: https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Password_reset

Okay, so Filezilla did something strange just now. I closed the program and hit connect, left the password as it was, and it connected all of a sudden. I didn't retype the password and I didn't change any other settings, and yes, it looks like your screenshots. I'm sorry about whatever went on here. It seems to have fixed itself leaving me scratching my head. I need a stress cope.

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

And then once connected:

Well, I got the server set up on the laptop and can connect to it on the laptop using the Filezilla Client. The problem is now that I need to figure out why on my desktop I can't connect using the same client. It just times out and won't even try. I tried it with the firewall off and got the same. I tried with and without a password as well. Also, I do appreciate all the help you've given me through all this. You didn't have to, but here you are. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

Well, I got the server set up on the laptop and can connect to it on the laptop using the Filezilla Client. The problem is now that I need to figure out why on my desktop I can't connect using the same client. It just times out and won't even try. I tried it with the firewall off and got the same.

Did you check the IP address is correct that youre connecting to? 

You're trying to connect to port 21 with the Filezilla Client? 

19 minutes ago, Selestialnorre said:

I tried with and without a password as well. Also, I do appreciate all the help you've given me through all this. You didn't have to, but here you are. Thank you.

The password is only for the administration interface, you need to configure a user in the administration console (user, password, home directory, etc...). 

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Did you check the IP address is correct that youre connecting to? 

You're trying to connect to port 21 with the Filezilla Client? 

The password is only for the administration interface, you need to configure a user in the administration console (user, password, home directory, etc...). 

I did configure the server settings/users/paths and all that correctly. On the computer that I have the server running from, the client program will connect to the server no problem. On my desktop however, it will not. I typed everything correctly and there seems to be no problem.. other than I can't connect due to timeout. IF I set up the IIS FTP server and turn off the Filezilla server, I'm able to connect from the desktop through windows explorer. However, I'm not able to use the Filezilla client to do that on the desktop. 

Sounds like firewall. Make sure in Windows Firewall on the server that you have allowed Filezilla Server for the networks (e.g Private / Public). Windows Firewall generally works by the allowed binary, not the port number. A Timeout would mean you're unable to reach the port.

Go into Windows Defender and select "Allow an app"

image.png.2272fa9993699de7688c7a99eb5c8bae.png

Then click on "Allow another app..." 

image.png.a42f807c7b424c7aa562661fa2e5e8ed.png

Browse to filezilla-server.exe...probably in C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server

Allow it for Private & Public

image.png.dd4b38878c42b3c9a43eb04ff599ebea.png

You should then be able to connect

image.png.ebe193f686b71d7142bdd1634b1a11d0.png

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 7/2/2022 at 5:38 PM, Jarsky said:

Sounds like firewall. Make sure in Windows Firewall on the server that you have allowed Filezilla Server for the networks (e.g Private / Public). Windows Firewall generally works by the allowed binary, not the port number. A Timeout would mean you're unable to reach the port.

Go into Windows Defender and select "Allow an app"

image.png.2272fa9993699de7688c7a99eb5c8bae.png

Then click on "Allow another app..." 

image.png.a42f807c7b424c7aa562661fa2e5e8ed.png

Browse to filezilla-server.exe...probably in C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server

Allow it for Private & Public

image.png.dd4b38878c42b3c9a43eb04ff599ebea.png

You should then be able to connect

image.png.ebe193f686b71d7142bdd1634b1a11d0.png

Thank you. This worked. I appreciate all your help and wish you the best. In a few weeks, I'll start looking into how to access this from other networks and advanced security and all that.