Motherboard upgrade from B450: Which chipset is better?

I recently upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 7 2700X to a Ryzen 5700G on my Gigabyte B450M DS3H, hoping to get better performaces and new features.

The CPU is way faster and the PC is snappier than before but the RAM still works only at fixed 2400Mhz, no matter which RAM kit I can install in it, the MoBo won't boot if the RAM runs at any higher speed.

At this point is clear the issue wasn't the not-so-compatible CPU but the motherboard itself, so I decided to upgrade that too and perhaps have even better performaces.

Now I have to choose the new board but I can't decide which one is better for me: X470 that allows me to use my old CPU in case of problems, B550 with PCIE 4.0 and some other new features or the X570 that supports only newest ones but also is the latest?

I also have the limitation of the form factor, I have to take a Micro ATX board (or smaller but with at lest one 16X and one 4X/1X slots).

Any suggestions that doesn't require selling both kidneys, both lungs and whole liver?

My rig:

Case: Chieftec CI-01B-OP "The Cube"

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Rev.1

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

Cooler: ThermalRight Assassin King 120 SE with TF-4 Thermal paste

GPU: NVidia RTX 2070 Super Blower Style (HP OEM)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 2x16

PSU: Itek BD700 DC-to-DC

What's the brand and model of your RAM?

7 minutes ago, Imago said:

B550 with PCIE 4.0

Useless because 5700G don't support PCI-e4.0.

Look for used x470 or b550

X470 can be had for dirt cheap, heck the deal on an x470 fatal1ty ive been tracking has gone down from an already ludicrous 33$ to 20$ now and i assume itll keep going lower and lower and thats for a working x470 aside from the random shutdown after a few hours issue but thats prob something to do with garbage psu

What's your GPU ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

What's the brand and model of your RAM?

Useless because 5700G don't support PCI-e4.0.

The new CPU can't work properly on PCIe 4.0? Shall I stick with 3.0 untile next upgrade?

Anyway my ram is dual Crucial RAM CT16G4DFD8266 16GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19, I chosed that set because it was the cheapest with dual rank capabilities. The other set I tried was pretty similar to this but 3200Mhz clock, both kits can boot only if the bios is set at 2400Mhz.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Look for used x470 or b550

X470 can be had for dirt cheap, heck the deal on an x470 fatal1ty ive been tracking has gone down from an already ludicrous 33$ to 20$ now and i assume itll keep going lower and lower and thats for a working x470 aside from the random shutdown after a few hours issue but thats prob something to do with garbage psu

Thanks for the advice. I need the PC to be reliable so I'll look for brand new ones. So, which are the main differences with X470? There are Micro ATX models that are worth considering?

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

What's your GPU ?

There are MoBos with incompatibilites with GPUs? 😮

Right now I have a GTX 1060, trying to get an RTX 3060 but my bank account is pretty weak so I have to wait untile prices are a bit lower.

My rig:

For features the X470 is better, it also has the plus of being useable with the older chip as you've pointed out yourself.

There is nothing wrong with a B550, those do well too and it's really a matter in this case of features each has to offer vs your actual needs.
Once you look at the features of each and then figure out which has the most of what you need, that will be the one to go for.

1 hour ago, Imago said:

I also have the limitation of the form factor, I have to take a Micro ATX board (or smaller but with at lest one 16X and one 4X/1X slots).

Any suggestions that doesn't require selling both kidneys, both lungs and whole liver?

Have to ask - Why can't you use a larger case?
The one you seem to have now is limiting your choices and for Micro ATX boards the choices aren't that great in terms of options.
If it's a budget thing that's OK because everyone has to deal with that, based on their own situation but if possible, going to a standard ATX sized case would make things easier to get what you want without running into such choice limitations, even if it happens to be an older case.

I will say the onboard audio for example of a X470 is probrably better than what a B550 normally comes with, higher tier boards normally come with the better stuff and that's just how it is. My B450 vs what my X470 has for onboard sound as an example is clearly inferior simply by what it sounds like.

However what I said above applies, you have to work out what you need and apply the features of what you find based on your actual needs and go from there.

Just to say it, I'd probrably pick an X470 first, with a B550 board as a very close second choice.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

19 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

For features the X470 is better, it also has the plus of being useable with the older chip as you've pointed out yourself.

There is nothing wrong with a B550, those do well too and it's really a matter in this case of features each has to offer vs your actual needs.
Once you look at the features of each and then figure out which has the most of what you need, that will be the one to go for.

Have to ask - Why can't you use a larger case?
The one you seem to have now is limiting your choices and for Micro ATX boards the choices aren't that great in terms of options.
If it's a budget thing that's OK because everyone has to deal with that, based on their own situation but if possible, going to a standard ATX sized case would make things easier to get what you want without running into such choice limitations, even if it happens to be an older case.

I will say the onboard audio for example of a X470 is probrably better than what a B550 normally comes with, higher tier boards normally come with the better stuff and that's just how it is. My B450 vs what my X470 has for onboard sound as an example is clearly inferior simply by what it sounds like.

However what I said above applies, you have to work out what you need and apply the features of what you find based on your actual needs and go from there.

Just to say it, I'd probrably pick an X470 first, with a B550 board as a very close second choice.

Thanks for your advice!

Well, I have to stick with this case because of space and simplicity of cleaning and parts swapping. I have a Chieftec CI-01B-OP which is perfect for my desk space and also it's really easy to open and clean the CPU heatsink block without the need to unplug everything and move away the case. Also it has a great airflow and lots of space for upgrades, the limit of the MoBo's size isn't nothing compared to the ability to install big GPUs and CPU heatsinks.

My rig:

1 hour ago, Imago said:

There are MoBos with incompatibilites with GPUs? 😮

Right now I have a GTX 1060, trying to get an RTX 3060 but my bank account is pretty weak so I have to wait untile prices are a bit lower.

Incompatibility? no.
Asking just in case you are using 6500xt. That way we'd recommend getting something with PCIe gen 4.
Because that GPU perform much better on gen 4.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, Imago said:

The new CPU can't work properly on PCIe 4.0?

With a 5700G installed there's no PCI-e4.0 at all. But why did you buy a 5700G instead of 5700X since you have a dGPU?

1 hour ago, Imago said:

Anyway my ram is dual Crucial RAM CT16G4DFD8266 16GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19, I chosed that set because it was the cheapest with dual rank capabilities.

That RAM don't support XMP/DOCP. Only JEDEC. And it's very slow with a latency of 19. Terrible RAM for Ryzen.

With a 5700G installed there's no PCI-e4.0 at all. But why did you buy a 5700G instead of 5700X since you have a dGPU?

Well, I needed that extra GPU inside it. 🙃 My intention was to have that for some tasks and since I don't play games, it was enough for me.
the PCIe 4.0 I mentioned was for future upgrades.

That RAM don't support XMP/DOCP. Only JEDEC. And it's very slow with a latency of 19. Terrible RAM for Ryzen.

That RAM's JEDEC is supposed to be 2666Mhz but my MoBo won't accept it for some reason I can't even imagine. I even tried other RAM kits but still my MoBo won't boot unless I set the max speed to 2400. I even have an extra RAM stick at native 2400 to boot the PC to access the BIOS when I perform a BIOS update since it sets the speed to "auto 2666".

My rig:

6 hours ago, Imago said:

Thanks for your advice!

Well, I have to stick with this case because of space and simplicity of cleaning and parts swapping. I have a Chieftec CI-01B-OP which is perfect for my desk space and also it's really easy to open and clean the CPU heatsink block without the need to unplug everything and move away the case. Also it has a great airflow and lots of space for upgrades, the limit of the MoBo's size isn't nothing compared to the ability to install big GPUs and CPU heatsinks.

That's actually a nice case, similar to my Tt Core X5 case.
If you can I'd go with a X470 first as said in my previous.

I will caution you that ASRock boards are NOT RAM champs when it comes to AM4, Asus, MSI and others do better in terms of RAM speeds acheived.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

That's actually a nice case, similar to my Tt Core X5 case.
If you can I'd go with a X470 first as said in my previous.

I will caution you that ASRock boards are NOT RAM champs when it comes to AM4, Asus, MSI and others do better in terms of RAM speeds acheived.

Ah, thanks again! Yes, was looking mainly for a MSI board, my brother got one and ssems to be really good. But, as I can see, not many makes X470 Micro ATX. I'll give a look to Asus too.

Your case looks really nice, it looks plenty of space and expandibility. I chose mine because it opens from the top, the front part flips forward and you have full access to any part of the PC. In my limited space is the ideal, also allows me to clean and fix any problem literally on place.

My rig:

A last question, then I have all I need: What about X570? Could be a good choice?

My rig:

3 hours ago, Imago said:

A last question, then I have all I need: What about X570? Could be a good choice?

Only real issue I know of is it's not going to support all older CPUs, support for them only goes back so far but aside from that it's a good pick.

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Only real issue I know of is it's not going to support all older CPUs, support for them only goes back so far but aside from that it's a good pick.

Ah, nice.

Thanks for the help!

My rig:

On 6/30/2022 at 4:32 PM, --SID-- said:

I was rethinking about this, what do you mean? The CPU is slowed down by that? I mean, I could have better rendering performances with lower CLs?

My rig: