Can fiber optic cable solve my DP and HDMI cable issue?

svrndmngjr

Okay, so this is my setup

5900x

N7 B550

Evga 1080ti ftw3

Benq ex2780q monitor

I cannot boot into my BIOS/UEFI when I use my 3m DP cable (UGreen) nor with my 5m HDMI cable (UGreen). I guess my pc can technically go there, but there's no display, so I cannot make changes. Plus I never see my boot screen. It just displays the win10 login page (like delayed power on display or display transmission or something?)

Whenever I want to change something in the BIOS (or see my boot screen animation ie nzxt logo), I have to use a shorter HDMI cable , I think it's 1.5 m, cable that came with the monitor.

I don't know if it's really a length issue or a UGreen cable issue. And I know I won't be booting often to change something in the BIOS, but I was wondering if a fiber optic dp cable would solve my issue so I won't have to switch cables each time?

How far apart are your PC and monitor?

Have you tried a better cable?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

32 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

How far apart are your PC and monitor?

Have you tried a better cable?

I don't know if it's better, but I have tried a KontrolFreek DP 3.6m cable. And the same thing happens.

The tower isn't that far. The 1.5m default cable can reach the monitor with a "direct" connection (no routing or cable management).

The 3m DP and 5m HDMI cables are just about the right length for cable routing under the table and monitor arms (2nd monitor is an LG 27UL850 that has the same behavior with both UGreen cables)

No, a fibre optic cable won't change anything, the issue is with port prioritisation, it will be prioritising hdmi over display port until the driver is loaded by Windows. It's would only be sending data through the hdmi until this point, which is why it's working through hdmi.

Might just be a matter of updating the firmware to make sure your gpu displays bios on all outputs

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.

Sounds exactly like your problem

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

50 minutes ago, Arika S said:

No, a fibre optic cable won't change anything, the issue is with port prioritisation, it will be prioritising hdmi over display port until the driver is loaded by Windows. It's would only be sending data through the hdmi until this point, which is why it's working through hdmi.

Might just be a matter of updating the firmware to make sure your gpu displays bios on all outputs

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Sounds exactly like your problem

Oh wow! I didn't know there was something else to install other than the graphics driver!

This did it! Thanks! 😍