Gigabyte 24GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Turbo

HooL

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting. I am thinking of buying the Gigabyte 24GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Turbo but I don't know about its cooling any of you using it can tell me your thoughts and experience with it?

It'll overheat. There's no physical way a blower heatsink can cool a 400W part, they struggle with 250W parts. 

Is there a particular reason that you're trying to get a blower 3090?

I've had several blower cards over the years including a 1080 ti and titan xp star wars edition. They do run a little hot, but if the designers knew the tdp going in, then I believe it should be ok. That being said, it doesn't mean it won't be super loud.

The card will run fine but it will run hot and very loud. 

The difference in performance between a 3080 and 3090 is quite small and with this cooler on this 3090 I wouldn't be surprised if the clocks will be low enough that the 3080 with better cooler will pull ahead... only reason to get it would be for the 24GB of VRAM or if its a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It'll overheat. There's no physical way a blower heatsink can cool a 400W part, they struggle with 250W parts. 

Is there a particular reason that you're trying to get a blower 3090?

I just foud a really good deal on it thats it, never had a blower card before and i never thought i would buy one. but its less than half of msrp

I would never recommend someone buy a 3090 over a 3080 unless they need the VRAM. I would also never recommend someone buy a high TDP blower card over more substantial coolers. I had a Vega 64 with a blower and it was awfully loud and hot. 3090 will likely be even worse.

If the noise and heat doesn't bother you and it's not much more money than a 3080 then go for it, just be prepared for the noise.

44 minutes ago, Skilid said:

I would never recommend someone buy a 3090 over a 3080 unless they need the VRAM. I would also never recommend someone buy a high TDP blower card over more substantial coolers. I had a Vega 64 with a blower and it was awfully loud and hot. 3090 will likely be even worse.

If the noise and heat doesn't bother you and it's not much more money than a 3080 then go for it, just be prepared for the noise.

I actually need the vram. Noise is not a problem, what I am worried about its the heat i guess its a no go from what i read.

I imagine it must be a very good deal given used fe cards going for 900/1000 usd.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 hours ago, HooL said:

I actually need the vram. Noise is not a problem, what I am worried about its the heat i guess its a no go from what i read.

It’s going to be just as hot as every other 3090 I would expect. It’s just other cards dissipate the heat inside the case, whereas a blower concentrates it and blows it outside, which can actually be beneficial in some cases. If the noise doesn’t bother you then go for it. A 3090 is a 3090. You can always undervolt it if you find it uses to much power or creates too much heat. 

10 hours ago, HooL said:

I just foud a really good deal on it thats it, never had a blower card before and i never thought i would buy one. but its less than half of msrp

Half of the msrp? BIG red flag.