How to change password in newly installed modem/router?

paulyron

My internet has been down for some time and a technician came over to fix the issue.  Eventually the modem was replaced as well.  The old modem was an arris modem.  This modem/router is called technicolor.  Then after I entered the default wifi password given, I could connect with my device.

Now, do most people here change their passwords after getting their internet installed?  There is now a new network and wifi password because of this.  If so, what is the reason for changing the password?  Does everyone change the password?  I always used the default one given by the internet company a while back.

Also, how do you change the password on your settings?  Is it the 192.168.1 or is it something else?  Again this is a modem/router called technicolor.  Do i need to make sure im hard wired on the laptop before i do this as oppose to wifi?

3 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Also, how do you change the password on your settings?  Is it the 192.168.1 or is it something else?  Again this is a modem/router called technicolor.  Do i need to make sure im hard wired on the laptop before i do this as oppose to wifi?

Easiest way is to type ipconfig in the command prompt, then find your default gateway. Mine for example would be 10.0.0.1. So I would just type 10.0.0.1 in my web browser of choice to access my router settings. 

image.png.a73e76438e2fda658f244ef8d30e2e7e.png

6 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Now, do most people here change their passwords after getting their internet installed?  There is now a new network and wifi password because of this.  If so, what is the reason for changing the password?  Does everyone change the password?  I always used the default one given by the internet company a while back.

I think most ISP router default passwords are random nowadays so it's sort of up to your paranoia threshold. Of course, some may want to change it to something easier to remember since those default passwords can be a long string of random characters.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1. You should always change the password from the default on all routers / modems. Possibly all electronics. Regardless. (Security reasons)

2. You may need to contact the manufacturer of the modem/router and your ISP for additional assistance. Blue's post for getting the default gateway ip via cmd prompt will help you to access it through a browser.

3. It does not matter whether directly connected via ethernet or wifi to access it. If you are flashing the router, then you need to be directly connected to it.

So someone posted easiest way to find the default gateway ip address is command prompt and then ipconfigure.

Then go to that ... it is 192.168.0.1 for me.

When I type that in address bar, shows

Not secure/192.168.0.1/#/login

Is that normal?

On main screen it shows

technicolor
DOCSIS 3.1 Wireless Gateway

But when i type in admin/admin or admin/password, it doesn't work? How do i log in? What is the username/password?

I tried admin/password, admin/admin... admin/ my wifi password... none of it works.

I then typed in the address bar of 192.168.100.1 and it goes to the same exact technicolor page... is that normal?  I thought only one site would show that which would be the 192.168.0.1?

When i take a look at the actual modem, there is a sticker on the side where you see the wifi password. That is the current wifi password that im using and the one that the technician gave me. Its the same wifi password as on the sticker that is sticked to the modem. Thus i want to change that wifi password to my own wifi password.

Also there is this

GUI username/password that is also sticked to the sticker in the router. That certainly is not it right? I tried entering that into the username/password on the 192.168.0.1 page and that didn't work. I tried admin/admin/ admin/password and none of those work.

The name of this technicolor modem seem to be... according to the box shows

CGA4233TLV2

Found this site below

https://www.router-reset.com/default-password-ip-list/Technicolor

But that username/password does not work for the modem... they seem to have the same model... however the link above show the address is 192.168.100.1 which isn't correct though.

When i take a look at the actual modem, there is a sticker on the side where you see the wifi password. That is the current wifi password that im using and the one that the technician gave me. Its the same wifi password as on the sticker that is sticked to the modem. Thus i want to change that wifi password to my own wifi password.

Also there is this

GUI username/password that is also sticked to the sticker in the router. That certainly is not it right? I tried entering that into the username/password on the 192.168.0.1 page and that didn't work. I tried admin/admin/ admin/password and none of those work.

The name of this technicolor modem seem to be... according to the box shows

CGA4233TLV2

Found this site below

https://www.router-reset.com/default-password-ip-list/Technicolor

But that username/password does not work for the modem... they seem to have the same model... however the link above show the address is 192.168.100.1 which isn't correct though.