Advice for overclocking 2070 super

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
6 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

Do i push it too far ? It is stable (been playing on it for a few day now) and i know OC will always reduce the livespan on a card but, should i tone it down a bit ?

Too much voltage is what reduces the lifespan of a GPU, on a GPU without locked voltage control like the 20 series there's not really any damage that comes from OC. I'd just run those settings, maybe increasing the power limits a bit more as that can help keep core clocks higher overall. 

11 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

Why sometimes MemCLock skyrock to 8000Mhz for 0.2 sc and then goes back to it's normal state

GPU boost is weird. It spins up to do something 3D (I.E. opening the start menu). 

14 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

It usually peak around 75/77°C, is it too much ? or is it good enough (i'm guessing it's ok since the fans don't turn up more than 67/70% but idk)

77C is safe. Lower is better and everything, usually the lower temps you can have the higher frequencies you can run, but I wouldn't worry about it. 

Hi !
I decided to overclock my GPU (GigaByte 2070s winforce 3x 8GB) problem being : i don't know anything about OC ^^'
So i went and watch some videos about it and it left me more confused than anything, so i decided to mess around and find out. I installed MSI AfterBurner and went at it, and here's the result of the 3DMark Tests :

notepad_4zuHFjc4Q4.png.1f42ba1172087f3cb626ef253f6d26ea.png

An @Idle screenshot :
1900462512_MSIAfterburnerIdle.png.53d6a1501cc74b9a40492ac9b489754e.png

and an UnderLoad pic :
627537773_MSIAfterburnerUnderLoad.png.0127268547505186b753de484efdf5da.png

And i have multiple questions :
1.Do i push it too far ? It is stable (been playing on it for a few day now) and i know OC will always reduce the livespan on a card but, should i tone it down a bit ?
2.Why sometimes MemCLock skyrock to 8000Mhz for 0.2 sc and then goes back to it's normal state ?
3.It usually peak around 75/77°C, is it too much ? or is it good enough (i'm guessing it's ok since the fans don't turn up more than 67/70% but i dont know really)

Whole PC :

MotherBoard: Asus Rog Strix Z390-E
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K OCed @4.7 GHz
AIO : Corsair Hydro H100x
RAM : 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz,
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 3X 8GB
SSD: SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (1TO + 500GB),
PSU: Corsair AX760 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Platinum 760W,
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh performance

6 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

Do i push it too far ? It is stable (been playing on it for a few day now) and i know OC will always reduce the livespan on a card but, should i tone it down a bit ?

Too much voltage is what reduces the lifespan of a GPU, on a GPU without locked voltage control like the 20 series there's not really any damage that comes from OC. I'd just run those settings, maybe increasing the power limits a bit more as that can help keep core clocks higher overall. 

11 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

Why sometimes MemCLock skyrock to 8000Mhz for 0.2 sc and then goes back to it's normal state

GPU boost is weird. It spins up to do something 3D (I.E. opening the start menu). 

14 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

It usually peak around 75/77°C, is it too much ? or is it good enough (i'm guessing it's ok since the fans don't turn up more than 67/70% but idk)

77C is safe. Lower is better and everything, usually the lower temps you can have the higher frequencies you can run, but I wouldn't worry about it. 

34 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

And i have multiple questions :

1.Do i push it too far ? It is stable (been playing on it for a few day now) and i know OC will always reduce the livespan on a card but, should i tone it down a bit ?
2.Why sometimes MemCLock skyrock to 8000Mhz for 0.2 sc and then goes back to it's normal state ?
3.It usually peak around 75/77°C, is it too much ? or is it good enough (i'm guessing it's ok since the fans don't turn up more than 67/70% but i dont know really)

My 2070S boosts to 2000MHz out of the box, so I wouldn't say it's too much. Are those the temperatures during gaming or Furmark?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

35 minutes ago, Ralf said:

My 2070S boosts to 2000MHz out of the box, so I wouldn't say it's too much. Are those the temperatures during gaming or Furmark?

Those were gaming Temps, i did a Furmark with the preset : 1440 (QHD), it gave me this : FurMark_DH0gCtSvws.png.bc3918efc98a0bca66fe214a706dee7d.png

58 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Think i can push the power limit to 114% that gives me a max temp of 88°C max, is it too much ? MSIAfterburner_UGxQNT5Ljf.png.651bc05a9c10823e74fbd8d0799ba556.png

2 minutes ago, ragnarokkr said:

Think i can push the power limit to 114% that gives me a max temp of 88°C max, is it too much ?

It won't actually hit 88C, GPU boost basically ignores that parameter in MSI Afterburner. It'll stop increasing temperatures at 84C which is safe.