My internet is limited to 100mbps!

szili99

Hello, my internet which I just updated from 40mbps to 400mbps does not work. I have 2 routers, one has the 5g and it works and on the second it limits to 80mbps, then same on the pc, its limited and I don't know what to do, idk if i have to change anything in tplink settings?

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

is the second router gigabit or 100mbit?  

The second router is an Archer C20 which supports dual band 5ghz, so I think it should support more than 100mbit

There are user multiple reviews for this router saying that it has poor speeds, with some specifically saying it won't go above 100mbps.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 minutes ago, szili99 said:

The second router is an Archer C20 which supports dual band 5ghz, so I think it should support more than 100mbit

But it only has 100m lan and wan ports, so that explains your speed limits. Get a gigabit router to get the full speeds. The wifi isn't realted to the wired speeds.

What if I get a 25m cable and connect the main router to my pc? would it work 

Just now, szili99 said:

What if I get a 25m cable and connect the main router to my pc? would it work 

If you get a cat6 cable and plug it into a gigabit router, yes, it'd work.

10 minutes ago, szili99 said:

Ethernet Ports

1× 10/100 Mbps WAN Port
4× 10/100 Mbps LAN Ports

Here's your answer, it's 100mbit max.  

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

If you get a cat6 cable and plug it into a gigabit router, yes, it'd work.

Ethernet Ports

1× 10/100 Mbps WAN Port
4× 10/100 Mbps LAN Ports

Here's your answer, it's 100mbit max.  

so it's a 5ghz router that doesn't even support anything above 100mbps? 

1 minute ago, szili99 said:

wifi to wifi can do over 100mbps, but not to anything connected to the LAN or WAN.

WiFi speeds and other speeds have nothing to do with each other. 

25 minutes ago, szili99 said:

Having Wi-Fi that can support more than 100 Mbps isn't worth much if the router's WAN port is limited to 100 Mbps. It can't communicate with the other router/the internet faster than 100 Mbps, so any devices connected over Wi-Fi won't be able to communicate with the internet faster than that.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

The physical ports are limited to 100 mbps speeds.

Wireless can work at higher speeds, but those high speeds are only between the device and the wireless network cards connected to it. So for example, if you have two computers both connected through wireless to that router, you'd be able to exchange files between the computers at the wireless speeds.

But the connection from the router to your cable modem will be limited at 100 mbps, the maximum connection of the router's port...so all computers and devices connected to the router will only be able to get 100 mbps to the modem and therefore Internet.

Either return the router, or buy another router and use this router as a secondary one, in some area of your house that has weaker wireless signals. Or, live with maximum 100 mbps.

One more thing ... the modem or whatever the ISP gives you should have at least one ethernet port in the back, so you could connect your computer directly to that port and get 1 gbps connection (and max 400 mbps)

On 6/29/2022 at 5:49 PM, Eigenvektor said:

Having Wi-Fi that can support more than 100 Mbps isn't worth much if the router's WAN port is limited to 100 Mbps. It can't communicate with the other router/the internet faster than 100 Mbps, so any devices connected over Wi-Fi won't be able to communicate with the internet faster than that.

Indeed, as a router with 100Mbit ports likely has a weak SoC too so even WiFi to WiFi is likely to bottleneck on the CPU.

Its quite the scam to make crap routers look better than they really are.

IMO it should be law that routers must state their maximum WAN to LAN NAT speed with and without PPPoE, in big letters on the box.  That would give you a pretty good idea what they're capable of as it would have to account for at least one WAN, one LAN port and the CPU bottleneck.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 hours ago, szili99 said:

The WiFi radio frequency has nothing to do with the wired Ethernet data rate it supports.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.