Should i go for i5 12400f or ryzen 5 5600x

Ucan_101
Go to solution Solved by ColdFusion04,

According to Gigabyte's CPU compatibility list (https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/CPU-Support) it is compatible.

If the board would be only for f-versions, it wouldn't have HDMI/DP-ports in the first place, the only mayor difference between i5-12400 and i5-12400f is the missing iGPU on the f.

The 12400 is a tad more expensive though (RCP $192 vs. $167)

im planning to pair it with rtx 3060. 

If i5 12400f its gonna be with gigabyte b660m ds3h 

If ryzen 5 5600x its gonna be with msi b550m pro vdh

Which one better

12400F on the basis of having a better upgrade path. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

15 minutes ago, Ucan_101 said:

im planning to pair it with rtx 3060. 

If i5 12400f its gonna be with gigabyte b660m ds3h 

If ryzen 5 5600x its gonna be with msi b550m pro vdh

Which one better

the 12400 is better because of new architecture and because its actually cheaper

28 minutes ago, Middcore said:

12400F on the basis of having a better upgrade path. 

Even though its gigabyte ds3h ? I heard that motherboard only can support that far of cpu so i cant upgrade to i7 12th gen or even i5 12600k

With RTX3060 and the NVidia GPU you can benefit of GPU DirectStorage, NVidia doesn't support that with AMD CPUs afaik. So with the Intel CPU you can get an additional performance boost in some cases due to faster Memory Access from RAM to GPU.

So i'd also recommend the Intel 12400f. (maybe without the f in case your GPU breaks down, the 12400f has no iGPU)

13 minutes ago, ColdFusion04 said:

With RTX3060 and the NVidia GPU you can benefit of GPU DirectStorage, NVidia doesn't support that with AMD CPUs afaik. So with the Intel CPU you can get an additional performance boost in some cases due to faster Memory Access from RAM to GPU.

So i'd also recommend the Intel 12400f. (maybe without the f in case your GPU breaks down, the 12400f has no iGPU)

Is gigabyte ds3h okay for that ? I heard from youtube review that its only for i3-i5f version. 

According to Gigabyte's CPU compatibility list (https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/CPU-Support) it is compatible.

If the board would be only for f-versions, it wouldn't have HDMI/DP-ports in the first place, the only mayor difference between i5-12400 and i5-12400f is the missing iGPU on the f.

47 minutes ago, ColdFusion04 said:

I see thanks for the answer

2 hours ago, ColdFusion04 said:

I am pretty sure that @Ucan_101 means the board only has the VRM to handle i3's and i5's (which may well be true) and him typing "i5f" was just a mistake because he doesn't know the f stands for no onboard graphics.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

@MiddcoreThe VRM-problem may be the case, but i didn't find an explanation on the page what the F-numbers are supposed to be.

I didn't check the VRM-compatibility, tbh i have no clue where to research that. But thanks for the thought that this could be a problem, i didn't ever think of that.

1 minute ago, ColdFusion04 said:

@MiddcoreThe VRM-problem may be the case, but i didn't find an explanation on the page what the F-numbers are supposed to be.

I didn't check the VRM-compatibility, tbh i have no clue where to research that. But thanks for the thought that this could be a problem, i didn't ever think of that.

F on an Intel CPU model number means it doesn't have integrated graphics.

4 minutes ago, ColdFusion04 said:

@Middcore thanks, but i didn't mean this F.

On the website i mentioned (https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/CPU-Support) there is compatibility not a simple "yes" or "no" but F1, F2, F3 and so on (see my attached screenshot). I don't know what these mean because Gigabyte doesn't explain itself on that.

image.png.bcc841ff84956d65bc83def698649ebf.png

F1, F2, F3 etc are how Gigabyte numbers its BIOS revisions. 

So the B660 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 board supports the 12400 since F1 (which was presumably its very first BIOS), etc. 

Thank you good Sir, thank you very much. Now everything is much clearer to me, that makes an awful lot of sense.

11 hours ago, Middcore said:

F1, F2, F3 etc are how Gigabyte numbers its BIOS revisions. 

So the B660 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 board supports the 12400 since F1 (which was presumably its very first BIOS), etc. 

What does f2 f3 means, so its okay right using i5 12400 in gigabyte ds3h?