Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Connecting phone to an ultrawide 160Hz screen

Hello!

I am new here so I hope I am posting in the correct section and as per code 🙂

I am looking for a way of connecting phone with Samsung DeX to an ultrawide 160Hz monitor, ideally wirelessly.

The idea is to use the phone with Samsung DEX as a laptop replacement and If there was a way of connecting the phone wirelessly like to a smart tv, a truly clean setup could be achieved, but most likely some kind of dongle will be involved.

So far, it looks like all solutions would be limited to 60Hz, but would be nice to achieve the max resolution and refresh rate of the screen, or at least as high as possible.

I tried connecting with some random usb-c dongle with HDMI and it only achieved 30Hz and it was not full screen, with black bars on the side.

So far I was not able to find anything that would suit this kind of application. I think the best I saw was a dongle that supports DP or HDMI 2.0 and obviously a suitable cable. 

The screen:

LG 34WP65C-B 34" 3440x1440, 21:9, 160Hz

The phone:

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G, with Mali-G78 MP14 GPU

Any ideas? Is the technology there yet? Maybe a phone with stronger GPU?

Thanks in advance!

28 minutes ago, Krabsters said:

Hello!

I am new here so I hope I am posting in the correct section and as per code 🙂

I am looking for a way of connecting phone with Samsung DeX to an ultrawide 160Hz monitor, ideally wirelessly.

The idea is to use the phone with Samsung DEX as a laptop replacement and If there was a way of connecting the phone wirelessly like to a smart tv, a truly clean setup could be achieved, but most likely some kind of dongle will be involved.

So far, it looks like all solutions would be limited to 60Hz, but would be nice to achieve the max resolution and refresh rate of the screen, or at least as high as possible.

I tried connecting with some random usb-c dongle with HDMI and it only achieved 30Hz and it was not full screen, with black bars on the side.

So far I was not able to find anything that would suit this kind of application. I think the best I saw was a dongle that supports DP or HDMI 2.0 and obviously a suitable cable. 

The screen:

LG 34WP65C-B 34" 3440x1440, 21:9, 160Hz

The phone:

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G, with Mali-G78 MP14 GPU

Any ideas? Is the technology there yet? Maybe a phone with stronger GPU?

Thanks in advance!

It is possible with the OFFICIAL dock. No 3rd party things seem to be able to do ultrawide. The 30hz limit is typical with 3rd party stuff.

There is no option for wireless with your desired result the bandwith needed for that far exceeds the ability of the wifi card on the phone.

A full wireless setup is not something I see happening in the next decade. We need WAY more bandwith to come even close.

So basically the cleanest setup is docking your phone. 1 cable is needed then(or 2 depends on if the display provides power over usb c or not or if you need to use a hdmi, dp..)

20 hours ago, jaslion said:

It is possible with the OFFICIAL dock. No 3rd party things seem to be able to do ultrawide. The 30hz limit is typical with 3rd party stuff.

There is no option for wireless with your desired result the bandwith needed for that far exceeds the ability of the wifi card on the phone.

A full wireless setup is not something I see happening in the next decade. We need WAY more bandwith to come even close.

So basically the cleanest setup is docking your phone. 1 cable is needed then(or 2 depends on if the display provides power over usb c or not or if you need to use a hdmi, dp..)

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I suppose this one is the best one in terms of video quality you can get then:

https://www.samsung.com/au/mobile-accessories/dex-cable-ee-i3100-ee-i3100fbegww/