Wanting to upgrade

I really need something that can do both work and fun. I’m in cybersecurity for the military and this is my first PC, but I’m afraid it just isn’t enough. I’m in school as well as taking work home with me sort of speak. 

please help!

Budget (including currency): Money is tight but depending on starting scratch 3000 will trade or sell current set up and or if up grading will trade parts/sell, 1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Multiple VM’s (Linux), New gaming titles a play a variety.

Other details: Overall it’s a good machine but I notice cpu spikes when gaming or doing school work.

3BEF0740-5C4F-4CBA-B0A8-6B432F498E97.png

A basic upgrade. You might consider adding more memory, a 1TB NVMe, possibly some case fans.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $604.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-29 09:46 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, brob said:

A basic upgrade. You might consider adding more memory, a 1TB NVMe, possibly some case fans.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $604.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-29 09:46 EDT-0400

I have addition fans in the case, is the cpu fan needed to replace the closed loop I currently have?

also I use the nvme as my os storage and have put in 2-3 other hard drives for files, programs, and games.

24 minutes ago, Monkeyzombies said:

I have addition fans in the case, is the cpu fan needed to replace the closed loop I currently have?

also I use the nvme as my os storage and have put in 2-3 other hard drives for files, programs, and games.

You would need to get an LGA 1700 adapter for your AIO, if it exists. But even if you could get the adapter I would recommend a new cpu cooler. AIO have a limited lifetime, so this seems to be a good opportunity to replace it. Unless you are fully loading the CPU for long periods of time, you could actually make due with the cooler that comes with the boxed CPU. Gaming doesn't typically fully load a CPU for any appreciable time.

I suggested the 1TB NVMe drive upgrade to improve overall storage performance. As I said, it's something that can be done later. But I do think 256GB is too tight for both Windows and Linux. 

1 hour ago, brob said:

You would need to get an LGA 1700 adapter for your AIO, if it exists. But even if you could get the adapter I would recommend a new cpu cooler. AIO have a limited lifetime, so this seems to be a good opportunity to replace it. Unless you are fully loading the CPU for long periods of time, you could actually make due with the cooler that comes with the boxed CPU. Gaming doesn't typically fully load a CPU for any appreciable time.

I suggested the 1TB NVMe drive upgrade to improve overall storage performance. As I said, it's something that can be done later. But I do think 256GB is too tight for both Windows and Linux. 

Awesome I appreciate the help and advice. Hopefully I’ll be able to upgrade soon. Maybe splurge to a new gpu idk.

37 minutes ago, Monkeyzombies said:

Awesome I appreciate the help and advice. Hopefully I’ll be able to upgrade soon. Maybe splurge to a new gpu idk.

If a GPU upgrade is likely you may want to get an 850W PSU instead of a 750W. Typically the cost differential is small, usually $10 - $15.

22 hours ago, brob said:

If a GPU upgrade is likely you may want to get an 850W PSU instead of a 750W. Typically the cost differential is small, usually $10 - $15.

What do you think about doing an aorus z690 motherboard? Instead of the b660. 

8 minutes ago, Monkeyzombies said:

What do you think about doing an aorus z690 motherboard? Instead of the b660. 

There are a bunch of z690 and b660 Aorus motherboards. What particular model are you asking about?

5 minutes ago, brob said:

There are a bunch of z690 and b660 Aorus motherboards. What particular model are you asking about?

Was eyeballing the pro, master, or ultra. But I’m really unsure which one. 

They are all good, but a bit pricy.

Is there some reason you don't want a b660 motherboard?