While watching a movie my HDD falls asleep

leclod

I don't know what's happening. I'm using VLC.

I watch a movie, suddenly the screen freezes and I get the same same noises like when the HDD is waking up. This happens often.

Otherwise the drive seems mostly fine, I can transfer those movie files with no issue (but I've had the transfer freezing too).

Does this ring a bell ?

When I test the hdd, the tests return successful

I'm willing to swim against the current.

I suppose it's time to change your HDD I guess, better safe than sorry if you got important data inside it. How old is that thing?

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

12 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

I suppose it's time to change your HDD I guess, better safe than sorry if you got important data inside it. How old is that thing?

Maybe, it's a barely 2 year old seagate 16tb 😞

I just disconnected it and my pc is quiet as a whisper. Before there was a slow pulsating vibration

3 minutes ago, leclod said:

Maybe, it's a barely 2 year old seagate 16tb 😞

I just disconnected it and my pc is quiet as a whisper. Before there was a slow pulsating vibration

Yup, definitely time to change as it's possible your HDD is damaged physically. Ain't much of you can do unfortunately than to backup your data (star from the most important first) and change it.

I had 2 laptops, and I did use 3 HDDs. All of them died after 2-3 years of (daily) use, and I lost a lot of important data. Nearly fully switched to a SSD (two years and still running strong, while I did use HDD the performance starts to deteriorate after that 2 years, idk why) afterwards for my main drive, and external drive for archival storage.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Check the drive with CrystalDiskInfo before jumping to conclusions about its health.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

24 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Check the drive with CrystalDiskInfo before jumping to conclusions about its health.

See anything suspicious ?

I reconnected the drive while swapping position in my mATX case with another hdd (I use 3). No excessive noise for now.

No sleeping while watching the movie for now.

Could it be Windows doing some maintenance work in the background ?

16tb.png

Your drive is fine, it's just going to sleep or parking the heads. Disable that in power settings or disable APM with CrystalDiskInfo.

Nothing wrong with your drive. 

Probably the video player forgets to tell the operating system to not turn of the drives when the system is idle (you don't type or move mouse for a period of time). 

Go in control panel > power management at the power profile and customize it so that the drives don't turn off after n minutes of inactivity 

all control panel items > power options > edit plan settings > change advanced power settings > 

and either enter 0 or some big value like 30m or 1h at Turn off hard disk after 

image.png.4283becb702662c3de30ea5ad8b787d2.png

How can a drive shut down while I'm using it to watch a movie (or transfer a file) ? (then wake up and shut down again)

11 minutes ago, leclod said:

How can a drive shut down while I'm using it to watch a movie (or transfer a file) ? (then wake up and shut down again)

well, i'd assume Windows is doing it and it's the Windows power options, because that sounds like it happens when your keyboard and mouse are idle, which is how Windows would usually measure 'inactivity'. the drive itself's power saving options should probably not be turned off for now because those would be based on I/O inactivity and NOT user inactivity.

An example - not saying it's like this in your case but it could be : 

The video player buffers 100-200 MB out of your 4 GB movie ... that's maybe a couple of minutes... Windows notices that your video player read 100-200 MB sequentially from the video file and attempts to cache the remainder of the file in RAM in the unused ram of your computer, and copies 500 MB - 1 GB, maybe more, whatever it feels like right after your video player finished loading those 100-200 MB.  When the player is done with those 100-200 MB, the player tries to access the drive and instead the operating system intervenes and says no need, already read the data for you, and it gets the cached data from the ram, a chunk of that 500MB - 1 GB. And repeat until those 500 MB - 1 GB are served to VLC.

The drive is sitting unused for maybe 10m or more,  because player keeps getting data from ram,  Windows may see nobody touches keyboard or mouse, so assumes system is idle and turns off the drive. 

Eventually the cached amount of given to VLC and now when VLC tries to read more data, there's no more data in ram so the operating system tries to fall back to hard drive and the drive is now turned off

Thank you guys,

But there must be something else.

My 4GB movie is in fact a 60GB 4K movie (my biggest one, to check the system) and the movie could freeze twice in 5mn while the drive not even being fragmented at all.

Everything seems fine for now. Fingers crossed.

(I updated the hdd firmware yesterday, something was off for a while)