How can I connect a power button to my laptop?

Eric_Searle8

Recently, I turned my old laptop that had a broken screen into a small desktop PC by 3d printing a case for it. However, I've run into one problem that I have yet to solve. I want to wire in a power switch but there isn't any information on pin outs (as I'm sure they wouldn't want me doing this for a laptop motherboard). Do any of you know of a way that I can wire up this switch (see below)?

16564830996791809979520663334967.jpg

1656483120284730283836203616331.jpg

16564831349916084824415474165452.jpg

16564832722142551564229666978873.jpg

I don’t even know what laptop that is because you have T said, so I don’t se how such a question is answerable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, abit-sean said:

Solder two wire either side of the switch or use a multmeter to find the pin out. Done both in the past with similar project

Oh ya, that's a good idea! Now I am a little new to this stuff so if I did find the pin out with a multimeter, the pins with a positive voltage would be my positive while the negative pins would be ground pins (0v) right? Or will the negative pins have a negative voltage?

4 minutes ago, Eric_Searle8 said:

Oh ya, that's a good idea! Now I am a little new to this stuff so if I did find the pin out with a multimeter, the pins with a positive voltage would be my positive while the negative pins would be ground pins (0v) right? Or will the negative pins have a negative voltage?

Put the meter into continuity mode, trace from the switch to the cable as best you can. Put the probes onto two contacts and operate the switch, when it beeps you have found the correct pins.

Or place one probe on the switch and one on the cable end to find the correct pin. Should be easier than above.