Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ISO Cables & Chargers that can charge an OP8T faster than a trickle

To preface what I am looking for, here's what I already have:

• An official WarpCharge 65 Brick + OEM Type C to C cable that I use for a quick 10 minute top up when necessary with 10V ~5A
  • An Anker PowerPort 10 + Anker Type A to C cable for slow charging that delivers 5V ~0.9A
  • A Nekteck 60W charging station + noot Type A to C cable for gaming that delivers 5V 1.5A
  • A 100W USB PD charger that delivers up to 9V 3A when the battery is low before reverting to 5V 1.5A once above a certain %

I was pretty surprised (as were most OP8T owners, apparently, from what the various forums have told me) that this phone charges very slowly over 5V unless you have a very specific set up. I am looking for cables (and chargers) that can reliably deliver 1.5A or more over a Type A to Type C cable as it is economically unfeasible to get an all type-C charging station presently. The only option I could even find was a UGreen 6-port station for $200.

The only cable I've owned that reliably delivered 1.5A to either of my OnePlus phones is a noot products cable meant for OnePlus phones. This cable has since been discontinued and I do not know of any alternatives. I've ordered their standard A to C cables and will be testing them once they arrive but I will also be taking suggestions. Looking for braided cables of 6-ish feet length that can supply more than 1A to an OP8T 

Allegedly the OP8T can negotiate 9V over USB-PD (I believe using the PPS spec), but none of my PD chargers appear to support this. Looking for charger recommendations that are not wall warts can charge more than one device at a time. Similarly also looking for car chargers in the same vein. I don't want to use WarpCharge 65 unless I absolutely have to - so leaving the phone plugged into a warp charger while driving is definitely a no-go for me.

A little bit of preliminary testing and research has revealed something interesting. OnePlus uses the middle pin on the USB 3 Type A side in their dash/warp charge cables and people have been able to extend their dash/warp cables with USB 3 extensions. I tried to charge with a USB 3.0 A to C cable and got 1.5A. Seems like I've found my answer but I will try more cables to verify.

Current Try List:

• noot Type C cable for OnePlus Phones, 6-ft
  • Any(?) USB 3.0 Type A to C

Current Avoid List:

• Anker 6-ft Braided Type C cable
  • noot Type C cable 6-ft
  • Any nonbraided cable
  • Any USB 2.0 cable (?)

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050Ti

Gaming Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X/3060Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

Oneplus's warp charge requires both a special cable and charger that has an extra connection. If both the cable and charger do not explicitly state support for warp charge, then dont expect to get the best charging speed.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Phones typically don't support PD, but QC3 instead so it might work at 9V with a QC3 charger for 20ish W or so. But manufacturers love to make proprietary things so it'll only fast charge with their own charger.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Oneplus's warp charge requires both a special cable and charger that has an extra connection. If both the cable and charger do not explicitly state support for warp charge, then dont expect to get the best charging speed.

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Phones typically don't support PD, but QC3 instead so it might work at 9V with a QC3 charger for 20ish W or so. But manufacturers love to make proprietary things so it'll only fast charge with their own charger.

Good thing is I don't want warp charge. I just want the ability to fast charge at 5v. My Anker cables don't even supply a full amp so I'm looking for alternatives.

2 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

I just want the ability to fast charge at 5v.

Phones don't care about offering fast charge on 5V anymore, so it's likely you're simply not going to get more than the 1.5A you already get. Need 9/12 to go faster.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

29 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Phones don't care about offering fast charge on 5V anymore, so it's likely you're simply not going to get more than the 1.5A you already get. Need 9/12 to go faster.

Even so, do you have any cable suggestions to get the full 1.5? Most 6-ft ones only do 1 or less.

I'm just surprised that these don't support 5V 2.4A or 3A given how common those chargers are.

Unless the cable is absolute garbage it shouldn't matter, ony the power brick would... but I don't have oneplus stuff so maybe they've done some extra unusual proprietary thing...

F@H

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Unless the cable is absolute garbage it shouldn't matter, ony the power brick would... but I don't have oneplus stuff so maybe they've done some extra unusual proprietary thing...

After some testing I have found that you can only charge at more than 1A on regular 5V chargers with a USB 3 cable. 

Funny how ages of googling did not reveal this. Maybe I wasn't looking for the right terms.