Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First-Time PC Build for 3D, Filmmaking, and Visual Art (Lifetime Mac User)

Budget (including currency): $5,500 (including monitor)

Country: USA

Main Programs: Blender, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom, potentially C4D, and potentially Unreal Engine 5

Other details

 

In particular, I'm having difficulty understanding if my choices for memory/storage are optimal or even work with the other hardware.

 

PCPartPicker Part List:

  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($635.97 @ Amazon) 
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($322.02 @ Amazon) 
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($459.00 @ Amazon) 
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($74.98 @ Amazon) 
  • Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Adorama) 
  • Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.98 @ Amazon) 
  • Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($1539.99 @ Newegg) 
  • Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($176.89 @ B&H) 
  • Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME PX 1300 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($294.43 @ Amazon) 
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM 64-bit  ($119.98 @ Amazon) 

Total: $4046.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-28 23:18 EDT-0400

 

And I'm also trying to decide which monitor to get since I do a lot of visual art stuff:

  • BenQ PD2725U ($949.99)
  • BenQ PD2705U ($536.68)

I'd appreciate suggestions for better alternatives if anyone is familiar with the parts I'm picking out.

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have 3 M.2 SSD's and yet, your motherboard only supports 2?

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

You have 3 M.2 SSD's and yet, your motherboard only supports 2?

Good eye. I watched a video about storage hierarchy, and the guy said it's ideal to split video editing storage across 4 drives.

  1. OS + Programs (Gen 4 NVME)
  2. Project (Gen 4 NVME)
  3. Cache/Temp (Gen 3 NVME)
  4. Archive (HDD)

Do you think it's a bad idea to combine any of these levels? Or should I look for a motherboard with more M.2 slots?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Your storage configuration makes no sense, you're probably better off with a different case, motherboard doesn't make sense (there are much better boards for less), and you can get a lower end PSU without much issue. 

  1. The B550 Taichi is currently $100 less and is a more fully featured motherboard. 
  2. 4x16GB doesn't make a ton of sense when 2x32 is a lot cheaper and allows for much more upgradeability. 
  3. Go for a single 2TB Gen 4 drive and a 1TB Gen 3 drive for boot. It'll be cheaper, you end up with more storage, and it'll perform better. 
  4. The Fractal Torrent is the same price and comes with a lot of fans. It'll perform better and cost about the same amount, it would be my pick instead. 
  5. The Corsair HX1200 is $100 less and is a very similar quality PSU. 
  6. Just get a Windows key from a reseller, it's just as good and will save you $100. Windows 10 keys work for Windows 11 so just get whatever is cheaper. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4F7prD

 

6 minutes ago, brohimer said:

Do you think it's a bad idea to combine any of these levels? Or should I look for a motherboard with more M.2 slots?

I would just partition the drives and run 2 instead. Gen 4 drives are really fast and should be able to handle levels 2 and 3 at the same time, and the OS doesn't actually benefit from Gen 4 operation anyway. 

Edited by RONOTHAN##
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Your storage configuration makes no sense, you're probably better off with a different case, motherboard doesn't make sense (there are much better boards for less), and you can get a lower end PSU without much issue. 

  1. The B550 Taichi is currently $100 less and is a more fully featured motherboard. 
  2. 4x16GB doesn't make a ton of sense when 2x32 is a lot cheaper and allows for much more upgradeability. 
  3. Go for a single 2TB Gen 4 drive and a 1TB Gen 3 drive for boot. It'll be cheaper, you end up with more storage, and it'll perform better. 
  4. The Fractal Torrent is the same price and comes with a lot of fans. It'll perform better and cost about the same amount, it would be my pick instead. 
  5. The Corsair HX1200 is $100 less and is a very similar quality PSU. 
  6. Just get a Windows key from a reseller, it's just as good and will save you $100. Windows 10 keys work for Windows 11 so just get whatever is cheaper. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4F7prD

Thanks for the advice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×