Asus B550-F ROG STRIX Gaming (wifi) Black screen entering bios, OS doesn't load now

fwmaietta
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

take out the drive with linux, see if it boots, if so, try taking out the drive with windows, see if it boots to linux. Come back after that and it should help troubleshoot. 

So I have 2 M.2 sticks on my Asus motherboard. One has Linux , one has Windows 11. When I needed to switch between them, I’ll just boot into the bios and choose which m.2 to boot from.

Yesterday when I tried to do that, the bios simply would not load. I would hit my F2 or DEL key and the screen would just go black. The monitor is lit up as if it’s receiving signal, but it’s just a slightly illuminated black screen. However, if I just tried to boot normally, that WOULD work. At least I could get into my Windows 11. I just couldn’t switch to my Linux. 

After trying the first option listed below, I can no longer boot into windows, I only get the option on the American megatrends page for bios set up by pressing F1. After pressing F1, I just get that slightly illuminated black screen.

To list the things I’ve done to try and fix:

* Removed the CMOS battery for about a minute. Put that back in, now I get the bios set up option when the computer comes on, I press F1 to continue, and back to black screen, slightly backlit. I uploaded a photo of the screen that loads each time.

* Unplugged the power source, held the power button for at least a minute, shorted the CLRTC pins as well as removed the cmos battery again. Same result, computer turns on, the Ram lights cycle through yellow, then red, then white, then green. Then bios setup sticks on black screen after hitting f1.

* Removed the ram, they were in slots two and four. Move them to one and three, also tried only having one ram stick in, not two. Tried one ram and multiple slots, alternated between the two sticks that I had.

* Disconnected the display and HDMI cable from the GPU, and tried just using on board display and HDMI on the motherboard as well as removing the GPU altogether. No change.

* Finally I tried the bios flashback. On another computer I got a flash drive, put the bio update on the flash drive, I did use the bios renamer. Shut down the computer, inserted the flash drive, held the bios flash back button for about three seconds, it started flashing and the USB drive light lit up and after a few minutes the flashing green light stopped and the USB light went out which should indicate that it finished properly. When this failed to work, I also tried removing the CMOS battery again and shorting the CLRTC pins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I just really got this computer put together and now I’m having problems.

Here is my build, hopefully this helps. 

* Windows 11 and Ubuntu (separate M.2 sticks/drives)

* AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Cezanne 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4 

* ASUS B550-F ROG Strix Gaming (WiFi) AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard

* Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3200

* Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower

* EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX

* Samsung 980 SSD 500GB M.2 (2 of these)

* Samsung 870 QVO 1TB SSD (used for media storage, no OS installed)

* Lian Li Galahad 360mm RGB Water Cooling Kit

* MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming

354281338_ScreenShot2022-06-28at21_31_07.thumb.png.3b9cb4659f9ea599c4c6b965b68804aa.png

45 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

take out the drive with linux, see if it boots, if so, try taking out the drive with windows, see if it boots to linux. Come back after that and it should help troubleshoot. 

Fist off, let me just say that you are a god and THANK YOU so much 😉 

So to summarize, I took out the windows m.2, no change. Put that back in and took out the linux m.2, no change. Took both out just for giggles, no change. Decided to detach my internal media drive which has no OS on it, BOOM, booted into the bios. Hooked the m.2 sticks back up and I am back in the game. 

Now.... When I reconnect the Media drive with no OS on it, while my system does load back up, I lose access to the bios again, but I can still load into windows, do you have any idea why that would be?

10 minutes ago, fwmaietta said:

Fist off, let me just say that you are a god amongst gods and THANK YOU so much 😉 

So to summarize, I took out the windows m.2, no change. Put that back in and took out the linux m.2, no change. Took both out just for giggles, no change. Decided to detach my internal media drive which has no OS on it, BOOM, booted into the bios. Hooked the m.2 sticks back up and I am back in the game. 

Now.... When I reconnect the Media drive with no OS on it, while my system does load back up, I lose access to the bios again, but I can still load into windows, do you have any idea why that would be?

Sounds like something is causing an issue with the Media drive. Either theres a conflicting boot loader on it, Happens sometimes when trying to dualbooting and windows putting crap on other drives. Always recommend when installing windows you only have the primary drive you are installing it on plugged in, everything else should be unplugged, then once  its installed and booting, then install the other drives. Sometimes windows bugs out and tells you to do this anyway.

You may have to wipe the Media Drive and make sure there is nothing odd on it, otherwise it could be causing it just because its defective, i had a bad 4 TB HDD give me similar issues.

Sounds good. I really appreciate your help and I'm sorry to add more to this but now I am however having another issue that just started. Once I was logged into windows, my computer shut off about 5 minutes after I logged in. Now when I turn on the computer, the lights all come on, the RGB lights are all lit up, but about 10-15 seconds later, the rgb lights on my Lian Li water cooling unit turn off and the computer sits at a black screen. Any thoughts?

*Edit* 

I am however, able to get into the BIOS before this happens. 

*Edit Again* It looks like it's starting windows, you see the spinning dots at the bottom of the screen, but then the Lian Li water cooling rgb lights go out as well as the RGB on the motherboard, but the RGB fans and ram all stay on. 

My apologies, disregard my last post. The HDMI cable was loose and possibly resetting the bios messed up the RGB. I think I can consider this closed. Again, thank you so much.