Zyxel videotron EMG2926

drsnooker

Thank you so much for reading this request!

I'm trying to get my hands on an old modem/router for the French Canadian Videotron service provider. Specifically the Zyxel EMG2926. 

You figured this would be easy! Sadly not so much, there are plenty for sale at a reasonable price on Kijiji, Varagesale and FB marketplace. I've contacted about two dozen sellers and the few that actually respond are not willing to ship it as they think it is a scam (considering this is my first post on this forum) I can respect that opinion, but will try to convince you I'm not trying to scam anybody.

I was told there are a lot of Canadians on this forum, I thought somebody here might be able and willing to help, by picking one up on the Montreal or Quebec areas. Listing it on ebay for a small profit so I can purchase it. 

There are 2 available for free (as long as the seller responds) so that's where I would start.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/470318411206851

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5224036981043046

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, drsnooker said:

Thank you so much for reading this request!

I'm trying to get my hands on an old modem/router for the French Canadian Videotron service provider. Specifically the Zyxel EMG2926. 

You figured this would be easy! Sadly not so much, there are plenty for sale at a reasonable price on Kijiji, Varagesale and FB marketplace. I've contacted about two dozen sellers and the few that actually respond are not willing to ship it as they think it is a scam (considering this is my first post on this forum) I can respect that opinion, but will try to convince you I'm not trying to scam anybody.

I was told there are a lot of Canadians on this forum, I thought somebody here might be able and willing to help, by picking one up on the Montreal or Quebec areas. Listing it on ebay for a small profit so I can purchase it. 

There are 2 available for free (as long as the seller responds) so that's where I would start.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/470318411206851

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5224036981043046

Thanks again!

Not sure how it works in Canada but in the US generally if the equipment comes from the ISP, its the sole property of the ISP. As most of the time you lease the equipment via a monthly fee being added to the bill. While people do sell ISP equipment, generally the ISP will label this equipment in their system as stolen and will refuse to activate it.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks Donut! I fully expect it won't work outside of Canada. That's not my purpose for desiring the modem. I want to sacrifice it on the altar of knowledge!

6 hours ago, drsnooker said:

Thanks Donut! I fully expect it won't work outside of Canada. That's not my purpose for desiring the modem. I want to sacrifice it on the altar of knowledge!

The issue is, its not about if it works. ISP's will generally charge a person who doesn't return equipment, and that can be hundred of dollars. 

Perhaps, but people are selling them (and giving them away for free) so perhaps they found a loop-hole of the ISPs taking them back or charging them a large amount for obsolete equipment.

May be I wasn't clear in my opening post. There are many (at least 50) people that have an used videotron Zyxel EMG2926 listed for sale. I have reached out to them as is custom on those sites. Most (90%) don't respond back. The few that do, think I'm a scam because I'm not local to them and will not sell me the modem. So I'm here hoping to find somebody in the French Canadian area that is willing to act as an intermediary between the seller and me (the buyer). Of course if you personally have one of those modems and want to get rid of it, I'd be happy to take yours instead.

To Donuts point, it might be against the ISPs wishes, but if you look on ebay, there are plenty of used ATT and Comcast modems for sale, and they are notoriously for charging you even if you lose the tracking number from shipping it back to them. (6 months after shipping)

39 minutes ago, drsnooker said:

May be I wasn't clear in my opening post. There are many (at least 50) people that have an used videotron Zyxel EMG2926 listed for sale. I have reached out to them as is custom on those sites. Most (90%) don't respond back. The few that do, think I'm a scam because I'm not local to them and will not sell me the modem. So I'm here hoping to find somebody in the French Canadian area that is willing to act as an intermediary between the seller and me (the buyer). Of course if you personally have one of those modems and want to get rid of it, I'd be happy to take yours instead.

To Donuts point, it might be against the ISPs wishes, but if you look on ebay, there are plenty of used ATT and Comcast modems for sale, and they are notoriously for charging you even if you lose the tracking number from shipping it back to them. (6 months after shipping)

You have been clear. Let me be clear. There are shit loads of people selling Comcast modems and cable boxes online. These people have shit credit and won’t pay Comcast regardless. But the equipment is considered stolen property. So the fact is you need to check that you can “buy” the equipment from the ISP. If not, effectively they are selling stolen property. 

Ah, so they might in fact be the scammers and not willing to sell to me for the risk of being caught?

2 hours ago, drsnooker said:

Ah, so they might in fact be the scammers and not willing to sell to me for the risk of being caught?

Thats why I said you need to check to see if your can purchase the hardware directly from the ISP. Verizon in the US will sell their FIOS router to a customer. Comcast, my ISP will NOT sell you their gateway, you have to buy a retail one if you want to own your own. 

Most people selling Comcast equipment are trying to fool people in to buying a modem for instance, and when they try to activate it with the ISP, the ISP will state its their property and ask for it back. The buyer is then out what ever it cost of the equipment. 

Also not familiar with all the sites you listed above. But I do know that most people on FB marketplace are probably only going to sell local. You might be able to find stuff on eBay as those sellers generally will ship, with the understanding that you might be pissing money away as if the ISP does list the modem as stolen it will not be able to be activated.