How can i connect another sub to 5.1 system

Karmix

I have a genius sw 5.1 home theather old system like from 2000s and this jbl gt4-12 and i don t know how to pair them
this is my sound systerm:

5731b9c3f33f0bfa368b8af8.jpg

Pablo

Can you do the following?

1. Take a picture of the back of the "control unit" (This would be an Amp or AV Receiver traditionally) - wherever the speakers and sub all plug into.

2. Take a picture of the back of the existing sub, where it's inputs are.

3. Take a picture of the back of the new sub, where it's inputs are.

We need to see how the existing system connects. Typically you'd just get a splitter of some kind (or wire one up) and connect both subs to the same single sub output. Some subs allow you to daisy chain them as well, which might be better for wiring, depending on sub placement.

Here's a guide that talks about it (disclaimer, I make no guarantees about how good the guide is):

https://www.axiomaudio.com/blog/dual-subwoofers-how-to-hook-up-multiple-subs#:~:text=One option is a subwoofer,to hook up 2 subwoofers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

In short, you can't.

That particular system has all of the amplification built-in to the sub-woofer enclosure. Therefore, the manufacturer has no reason to give you an output for an external Sub.

Unless you want to take the thing apart and solder directly to the leads to the internal sub, there's nothing for you to do here. Even then, you risk overloading your amplifier if you do that.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

If it's similar to a normal AVR - $5 Y cable splitter.

If it's some sort of janky all in one system... that's harder and it'll depend on the specifics of what's going into your system.

I'll make an educated guess based on the images found here - https://www.newegg.com/genius-sw-hf5-1-5000/p/N82E16836110010

to connect to the unit in the SUB section PLUS another device. You will then want to extend to another subwoofer location https://www.amazon.com/-/es/KabelDirekt-extensión-amperios-analógico-compuesto/dp/B00RXNVKOC/

--------

If your problem is that the all in one subwoofer unit is DEAD and that you can't use your system at all, then you'd want to get an AVR and another subwoofer. The advice above is for the case where you just want a second subwoofer to get more even bass response OR to generate a lower frequency response.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:19 PM, dj_ripcord said:

In short, you can't.

That particular system has all of the amplification built-in to the sub-woofer enclosure.

Daisy chaining SHOULD work.

You just take the same input for "sub in" and split it out twice. Y cables do that trivially. You can plug it into the back of this thing or your source. It would only work with the RCA cable input and not the alternate connector labeled 5.1 (Input 2).

You're literally just splitting the signal in two. I'd want to dig into the science a bit more but I'd expect the amplitude of the signal waves would be halved by doing this, so you lose 3dB of output if you don't adjust the gain on the wires. Turning up the gain is trivial to do though. Ideally gain settings for everything should be set by output as measured by a microphone or at the very least a phone app (so that the dB at the main listening position is the same for each speaker).

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800