What if I had an unlimited budget…? - Sony A95K

Plouffe

Our Sony Bravia A95K showed up and it looks STUNNING, but how much are you willing to spend chasing minor improvements over similarly beautiful displays? Is THIS the TV that ends up in my family room?

Buy a Sony A95K: https://lmg.gg/dvPqX

Buy an LG G2: https://geni.us/GG5EUDH

Buy a Samsung S95B:https://geni.us/pRFo5

Buy an Intel Core i9-12900K: https://geni.us/hw0jtIM

Buy an RTX 3080 Ti: https://geni.us/52P7uqm

Buy a kit of Crucial DDR5 2x8GB: https://geni.us/BfuKO

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Seems YouTube has the aptitude to check if I have an HDR monitor but not the genius to check if the monitor it's actually playing on is HDR. My MacBook Pro XDR screen is HDR, but my monitor I'm playing it on definitely isn't. Now the video is very dark and flickers every second. Good job YouTube. It appears to have no way to disable HDR either.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

What if I had an unlimited budget…?

He would have the actual balls to swing for that damn The Wall TV.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

This thing "only" costs $4k? Pfft. I expected at least ten grand when I saw the title. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, gentle bob said:

The YouTube tone mapped SDR version looks really bad... It's very green in some scenes

Yeah was about to ask if it's me or if everything looks really green/yellow.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 hours ago, tikker said:

Yeah was about to ask if it's me or if everything looks really green/yellow.

Definitely not just you. I have a very similar experience on my Dell Precision 7560.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

My eyeballs hurt after trying to watch this. So I have a s9 and the video appears to not only change the way the video is but also the dark mode color of the rest of the page. I tried taking a screen grab and that didn't work which makes me think it just changed my phones display settings just for the video, once I put a regular YouTube vid on it was back to normal.

HDR monitor: Check

Can i run HDR? No.

Youtube ????

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

watch this on a lg oled with hdr... oh god yt ......... banding and some funky colors.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

This video is unwatchable on my monitor - the colors look absolutely awful.
It looks good on my iPhone, but I watching LTT in slightly better colors is definitely not on my 'want' list if it means they're unwatchable on my desktop rig.

The LTT store plug at 5:49 looks really bad regardless of what display I use.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Horrendus on my non-hdr monitor - all way too yellow. 

The LTT store insert does add even at 4K on SDR, 1080p a lot of yellow/blue macroblocking. 

image.png.56421bababe7e0b40c12f6627b04eacc.png

The HDR stream is also more than double the bitrate. Interestingly, even by Google's own numbers, the SDR Video is being delivered at lower than the target bitrate for VP9 whereas the HDR grade is being delivered above the Google target example bitrate of 18Mbps. image.png.daa50c1dff53a248c195fc6474bdb402.png

image.png.afd9479e6df2e7c2fcd0ea6265187f01.png

This is the VP9 recommended rates for encoding.image.png.0fbce3caab3403892e6e15b3847c8ee1.png

why did you use 1917 for an hdr demo??? roger deakins is infamous for subued/fake hdr grades. you wouldn't even begin to notice actual wcg differences on a qd oled with one of his grades.

also, linus, please get plouffe a spectro...your color accuracy measurements are meaningless without one.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:35 PM, ImAlsoRan said:

Seems YouTube has the aptitude to check if I have an HDR monitor but not the genius to check if the monitor it's actually playing on is HDR. My MacBook Pro XDR screen is HDR, but my monitor I'm playing it on definitely isn't. Now the video is very dark and flickers every second. Good job YouTube. It appears to have no way to disable HDR either.

just disable hdr in macos display settings...

So couple of questions

Was the local Plex app used to play this? if so does the new LG C2 support all audio formats and video formats, since the current LG C1 which I have does not support everything, I can't play certain HDR movies as it makes the video distorted, also does not output Dolby ATOMS to my soundbar. but when using the local netflix and prime tv it works fine does the output and switch etc.

For a curiosity test this morning I moved my gaming pc to my tv replayed that same movie from plex and boom Dolby ATMOS output, the HDR sucks from the pc but that requires a few color profiles I presume.

Then have you tested any audio passthrough for the arrange of soundbars and receivers, since you have a nice setup at the new house do you have any issue?

I have done some research and it seems with most TV's on the market you need to get something like a Nvidia shield pro to do uncompressed audio and get proper video support. my country does not have nvidia shields locally so I have to import one. we do how ever have something like the xiaomi mi box s which works fine but does not support Dolby ATMOS 😞

Oh and I know this won't probably affect 99% of you but for some reason LG south africa has decided we are not worthy of using google services on our LG tv's so I can't even use my expensive in my country terms tv with my home automation / entertainment automation 

My Rig: Intel 3770k with Corsair H100i pull, Asus Z98 pro , Corsair Vengeance 8GBx2 2100 mhz CL9, Galax HOF 1080 TI, 4 x OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig Raid 0, Corsair AX 850, Corsair Obsidian 650D

On 7/2/2022 at 10:10 PM, perrinpages said:

just disable hdr in macos display settings...

It's not necessarily that simple. macOS doesn't have an "HDR" toggle like Windows does. What it does have is a display profile for HDR and non-HDR modes, but it will still somehow report to YouTube that it is HDR-capable. The only way to truly disable HDR is to go into the battery settings and enable "optimize video streaming while on battery", which doesn't work if it's plugged in, something that's likely to be the case if I'm also outputting to my monitor.

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

On 7/6/2022 at 12:44 AM, ImAlsoRan said:

It's not necessarily that simple. macOS doesn't have an "HDR" toggle like Windows does. What it does have is a display profile for HDR and non-HDR modes, but it will still somehow report to YouTube that it is HDR-capable. The only way to truly disable HDR is to go into the battery settings and enable "optimize video streaming while on battery", which doesn't work if it's plugged in, something that's likely to be the case if I'm also outputting to my monitor.

It is that simple? HDR video can also be disabled in Safari's experimental settings.

External HDR display preferences window

On 7/9/2022 at 9:09 PM, perrinpages said:

It is that simple? HDR video can also be disabled in Safari's experimental settings.

Weird. Never saw that option. Might be because I'm extending to an Apple TV at the moment since my HDMI dongle is broken and my HDMI port is being used by another monitor.