Waiting Over 10 Years Fresh Build Recommendation

Budget (including currency): Not to exceed over $5k usd

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Photo/Video Editing, 1440p/4k Gaming at 144+ hz, Livestreaming/recording

Other details Decided it's time to retire my pc from 2011 and start with a completely fresh build. Looking to buy relatively soon or depending on other factors, during Prime Day or Black Friday/Cyber Monday.
The idea is to try to "Future Proof" this thing as much as I can so I don't need to worry about it for another 10+ years as I did my current PC.

Planning on purchasing an Elgato 4k 60 for livestreaming/recording so additional PCIe slots in the motherboard is a must (Or is it even needed for this build with the chosen cpu?)

A couple of additional notes worth mentioning:

Trying to avoid the Intel vs AMD debate but I would prefer to stay with an Intel based CPU.

Another thing I am looking for is for the pc to have bluetooth (for wireless headsets/mice and connecting wireless console controllers to it.) This may be standard at this point but I'm not sure considering my current pc from 2011 does not have it (lol.) Is this what motherboards that have wifi included mean?

Need a motherboard that is able to take advantage of the PCIe 5.0 capabilities. 

RGB is nice but not necessarily required if the price point is approaching the budget limit. 

With the exception of an AIO, I'm trying to stay away from a full water-cooled build. 

I have been told that DDR5 ram at this point doesn't support more than 2 sticks so this is why I have chosen the combination in my partpicker list, as it allows the amount I want right now while allowing me to add more at a later time.

With all of this being said, here is my pcpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yvZc4s
I'm aware of the warning message on the site for my parts but to be honest, I'm not sure what this means. 

Primarily looking for recommendations on Ram company, PSU, motherboard and Elgato situation.

Thank you for reading all of this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Yea basically 12gen with ddr5 is a terrible experience. Most of the time you won't see any perfrom gain in addition to it being pretty expensive. Unlocked cpus have the ability to reach ddr5 speeds, but with 12gens memory controller, I wouldn't rely on hitting those speeds. Someone who knows more about ram might be able to add more to this.

12 minutes ago, WatchNLearn said:

1440p/4k Gaming at 144+ hz, Livestreaming/recording

1440 gaming is definitely achievable but 4k 144hz on triple A games in basically impossible. Even with a 3090ti which is the top of the line card. In addition to streaming, I would lower my expectations just a bit.

I wouldn't try to oc since 12th gen oc doesn't give a lot of boost to performance. I'm not sure about how the 12900k would oc, but you have a 5k budget so why not. 12900kf and z690 would make the most sense.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QVfdxs

Really wouldn't go anything less then a teir on the psu tierlist. IIRC this one is a Tier gold, but finding something less expensive is easier, I chose it because that's what I remembered

Though in all honestly, I'd wait for all of the new tech releases coming out this year, mainly 4000 series cards and raptor lake.

36 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Unlocked cpus have the ability to reach ddr5 speeds, but with 12gens memory controller, I wouldn't rely on hitting those speeds.

I'm confused when you say this. Isn't the 12900k an unlocked cpu thus not having the memory controller and allowing me to overclock it?

Also, any reason why you picked the 129000kf over the k? Isn't the integrated graphics within the K a plus to have?
I also assume the selected motherboard was just selected based off the ram being ddr4? 

42 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Though in all honestly, I'd wait for all of the new tech releases coming out this year, mainly 4000 series cards and raptor lake.

I don't mind waiting but after waiting for all these years, I feel like no matter what, something new and better will always be coming out around the time people are wanting to upgrade. However, I am not to up to date on how beneficial these two particular updates stack up to what's available now. Do you believe they offer a high enough performance boost to wait until they release? 

8 minutes ago, WatchNLearn said:

I'm confused when you say this. Isn't the 12900k an unlocked cpu thus not having the memory controller and allowing me to overclock it?

Let me rephrase what I'm saying here. 

All cpus have a memory controller. It allows the cpu to actually utilize the memory instead of "controlling" the speed that it can go. Locked chips / non k, have their vccsa voltages locked down, so they can't reliably hit speeds over ~4600. Unlocked chips, are of course unlocked, allowing the cpu to utilize the speed of the ram more. Though 12th gens memory controllers aren't as specialized for ddr5 as the upcoming raptor lake would be.

I just chose the kf for price savings but the non f is fine.

I chose the mobo because it supports Bluetooth because you requested it, as well as having the same pcie slots ( 3 16x and 1 1x)  as well as the main slot bring pcie gen 5. Though it being ddr4 was one of the parameters.

Do you believe they offer a high enough performance boost to wait until they release? 

At least from the rumors that we've seen. The 4090 I'd apparently going to be a 2x performance or more over this gens 3090 as well as the rest of the Lovelace lineup having a architecture change iirc. Not to up to date on the raptor lake changes tho

Alright, so if I'm understanding this correctly, 12th gen unlocked cpu's don't have the capability to run up into the same speeds as DDR5 ram gets up to even when overclocked, thus making that extra mh'z of the ram useless?

Ahh ok, makes sense for the cpu suggestion. 

28 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

I chose the mobo because it supports Bluetooth because you requested it, as well as having the same pcie slots ( 3 16x and 1 1x)  as well as the main slot bring pcie gen 5. Though it being ddr4 was one of the parameters.

I believe the one I have in my initial list has bluetooth, and the main pcie slot bringing gen 5 speeds as well. The only difference I see is it being a board for ddr4 ram instead of ddr5. Is this correct, or am I missing a feature?
Sorry for the influx of questions and needing an explanation for each suggestion you choose, I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you. 

You're fine with the questions. Yea basically I wouldn't trust 12th gen to reach those speeds. Internal connections might be a little different as well as io but that should be roughly the same.

Alright sounds good. Any idea on what the warning message is about regarding the gpu? I'm reading these notes and looking at both PSU's from your list and my initial list, I'm uncertain if they will fit inside the case. The only specifications I can seem to find on this list about the PSU's are the length. Is the height and width roughly the same for all of them?
Also, any insight on the dilemma with the capture card?

This is all coming from memory, the warning is to make sure the 6+2 connectors are coming from separate connections from the psu to ensure that its receiving its maximum power rating and not the power draw from only one connections.

Length is mostly the only thing that matters on cpus. If I had to guess from looks, it would be a 2 or 3 slot graphics card which is about the normal size for graphics cards, so as long as length is within spec of the Case, it'll be fine.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about capture cards so you might be able to post somewhere else or someone might be able to help you there.

Ahh alright, thought that warning meant I either needed to choose a different gpu/motherboard option. 

15 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Length is mostly the only thing that matters on cpus. If I had to guess from looks, it would be a 2 or 3 slot graphics card which is about the normal size for graphics cards, so as long as length is within spec of the Case, it'll be fine.

I'm referring to the PSU here, not the GPU.

I'm referring to the PSU here, not the GPU.

Oh my bad

Pcpartpicker usually filters psus to all be compatible with the case but if you go to the manufacturers website you can probably find more detailed specs. + the addition that atx psus mostly follow the cube design so that one measurement probably applies to the whole psu, although this doesn't seem to be the case actually, after checking their website 

190 x 150 x 80.6 mm seems to be the official measurement 

Save yourself a bit of money and get a 3080ti. 3090ti will already be outdated in 6 months so just take the smaller loss. AIO should keep everything nice and cool. VRM's seem good so OC is all clear, unless Buildzoid has said otherwise against the motherboard. Check what he says.

Just basic storage for boot, games and long term junk dump.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($589.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($151.76 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($249.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($247.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($259.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($379.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Gold 20 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($589.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB GAMING Trinity OC Video Card  ($1176.89 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Torrent RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($246.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($291.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4184.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-28 05:48 EDT-0400

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

9 hours ago, venomtail said:

Save yourself a bit of money and get a 3080ti. 3090ti will already be outdated in 6 months so just take the smaller loss.

Although it will be outdated whenever the new cards come out, the point was to try to future proof as much as possible so I wouldn't have to touch it for another 10+ years. with that being said though, is there a specific reason why you advise going for the 3080ti over the 3090ti other than it being cheaper? I imagine the 3090ti would last longer/keep up with evolving technology longer than the 3080ti would but I could be wrong. I haven't researched them in particular to heavily at this time, do they have a feature or the performance increase doesn't justify the price difference or what? 

9 hours ago, venomtail said:

I did forget to mention that I am using external HDD's for this kind of "dumping for edited videos so this wouldn't be necessary. Sorry about that. With that extra cash, and what was stated above though, wouldn't it make sense to go with the longer lasting gpu or would it be better to put that extra money into something else?

3 hours ago, WatchNLearn said:

Although it will be outdated whenever the new cards come out, the point was to try to future proof as much as possible so I wouldn't have to touch it for another 10+ years. with that being said though, is there a specific reason why you advise going for the 3080ti over the 3090ti other than it being cheaper? I imagine the 3090ti would last longer/keep up with evolving technology longer than the 3080ti would but I could be wrong. I haven't researched them in particular to heavily at this time, do they have a feature or the performance increase doesn't justify the price difference or what? 

I did forget to mention that I am using external HDD's for this kind of "dumping for edited videos so this wouldn't be necessary. Sorry about that. With that extra cash, and what was stated above though, wouldn't it make sense to go with the longer lasting gpu or would it be better to put that extra money into something else?

Technology is still advancing at a really fast rate.

Will a PSU still be usable after 10 years? Most likely.

Will current storage be relevant after 10 years? Should be.

Will current CPU's keep up with future demand? Let's hope so.

What about current GPU's? I'm betting on not a chance.

A 5 year old flagship, the 1080 is already falling behind modern mid tier cards like a 6750XT. A 10 year old Flagship, the GTX 690 is on par with one of the cheapest cards on the market, the 6400. You'll save more money buying a new card every 5 years at least and still be on top than spending more on a flagship once.

Do what you want. See what meets your minimum requirements and get that. I'm looking for a 4k monitor next so I'd buy the best GPU that's the best value for money for 4k, not just outright performance. With that logic everyone would have an Epyc CPU. If you think a 3090ti is worth it in the long term, pop off but I'd put it towards something else. I'd rather put the spare $600 from the HDD you don't need towards a new monitor for example.

Edited by venomtail
a

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of your time. I now have some things to think about.

Having a confirmed release date would definitely be the deciding factor for those raptor lake CPU's! 

Thinking everyone has talked me out of waiting for the 4000 series cards at this point because from what I know, it's always worth getting the performance version of those cards instead of the founders editions, which will of course, take more time.