Probably my graphics card died, I am desperate

hara

Hi!

SYSTEM:

RX 460 4 gb

i5-3470

8 gb of ram

Aurora 500 w psu

I was casually playing mount n blade on my desktop computer when randomly it shut down, didn't think much of it, this has happened to me the last couple of days and to be fair this computer is very old so random shut downs is just normal to me, anyways, i tried to start the computer immediately after the random shut down aaaaand nothing. completely nothing. I tried couple of times and then turned the psu of for a couple of minutes came back and it started, sort of... the graphics card fans did not spin to light and when I was in windows i could hear that some driver was failing and trying to get to work, no display ofc, but my onboard graphics for some reason had not been enabled by bios(it's on automatic for me), so by switching to the other port i could not get any info sadly, so i shut down the computer and thought that maybe the drivers had been corrupted by the sudden shutdown which immediately thought was stupid because regardless of drivers shouldn't you see the windows logo or bios screens or fan spin?? well anyways I had some similar problems with my old gpu on this motherboard so i switched to the other pci express slot, also nothing, switch back again, nothing, well i connected to integrated graphics and turns out my graphics card is not even detected by the system and i wonder when the first time i booted if it still was being recognized and was trying to boot 😞  Mentioning the psu at the start i am too lazy to connect the front panel and use a screw driver to turn my computer on, could be i was just missing the pins lol

the system has wayyy enough power to work properly it had a much more power hungry gtx 650 ti(150w) in there before and now 75ishW ? so i dont suspect its a psu issue or if it is then why did it only fry my gpu?

I was playing the old mount n blade so not exactly a graphically demanding game at all, I could probably go play it on integrated graphics instead of writing this post probably

the last couple days here in Latvia have been veeery hot about 30, 35 degrees celsius every day but i didn't play anything demanding and i don't think it was even close to overheating, another story could be the air is very humid but im not sure it had an effect on it

so idk what to do, its rn plugged in sitting there not responding, if i had a way to check for shorts i would do that but i did not smell any burning or any foul oder from the system

i included a picture of the system but i doubt thats going to help anything

edit: windows 10 and bios msinfo32 does not give anything but in bios says version F7, my motherboard gigabyte H77-DS3H

photo1656368915.jpeg

did u reseat the GPU and see ?? also, check if power cables are loose for the GPU  If not, then its probabaly dead. 

On 6/29/2022 at 1:41 PM, killswitch6000 said:

did u reseat the GPU and see ?? also, check if power cables are loose for the GPU  If not, then its probabaly dead. 

I did reseat the gpu as i  mentioned and tried a different gpu after this post was made, my old gpu that definetely did work and the graphics card goes to fan spin and no info on device manager as well so idk whats wrong

15 hours ago, hara said:

he graphics card goes to fan spin and no info on device manager as well

ok. reflash the Vbios for the graphics card. I think that is the problem. sometimes this happens. If u have a VBIOS switch on ur graphics card, try switching Vbios's and see if it works. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjQy-rR2tn4AhUD8DgGHf9TDqgQFnoECAMQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.easytutoriel.com%2Fen%2Fflasher-bios-nvidia.html&usg=AOvVaw3FCWwgRbfQEoj2BlXdkS34. follow this guide and see if it helps

On 7/2/2022 at 10:44 AM, killswitch6000 said:

ok. reflash the Vbios for the graphics card. I think that is the problem. sometimes this happens. If u have a VBIOS switch on ur graphics card, try switching Vbios's and see if it works. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjQy-rR2tn4AhUD8DgGHf9TDqgQFnoECAMQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.easytutoriel.com%2Fen%2Fflasher-bios-nvidia.html&usg=AOvVaw3FCWwgRbfQEoj2BlXdkS34. follow this guide and see if it helps

yes but my old gpu is not being detected nor in gpu z nor in device manage

6 hours ago, hara said:

yes but my old gpu is not being detected nor in gpu z nor in device manage

then i think its time to change then. Lucky for u the GPU shortage is over and i just realised u have a RX 460. Daymn. a 3050 or an RX 6600XT will serve u well for the next 5 years or so. and theyre about $300. otherwise, 20 series is available for cheaper and is still good. No offence but IMO it looks like ur entire rig could use an overhaul

On 6/28/2022 at 3:59 AM, hara said:

Mentioning the psu at the start i am too lazy to connect the front panel and use a screw driver to turn my computer on, could be i was just missing the pins lol

Also, for the love of all the sensible things in the world please dont do this.

Are you using the iGPU as the display output or is the rx460 still outputting display? with ATIflash I have been able to bring my RX 460 back to life un numerous occasions.  I was flashing it pretty hard beforehand.  If it is showing in device manager as an unknown device, there's still might be some hope.

ATIflash may be able to detect it if it can read the PCIE signal, even if Windows is not reading it correctly.  You should do this by downloading ATIflash, using the commandline to CD to the directory, and running ATIflash over the commandline.  I usually do this with a batch script. Probably you will need the -f force option, and hopefully it is detected.

Also keep in mind the card is rated to 75 watts, but it has no power cables from the PSU, so is directly drawing from the rails on the PCIE slot.  In an old dell OEM PC, I had this card but the PCIE slot was limited to 35 watts.  The card still ran with that low power though.  Check to see if the wattage is displayed on the motherboard near the slot, but I doubt it could cause the issue.

thanks everyone got my eventually my old graphics card working after million different things, for some wierd reason windows didn't want to detect it at all eventually got it showing up with 50000 diferrent errors and a few driver reinstalls later it is working