what processor will be fine for my gtx 960?

bal723

I want to buy i5 7400 for it, but I think It could throttle a little bit

This depends heavily on what games you are intending to play. The i5 7400 is certainly capable of keeping up with a GTX 960 in most titles, but not in all.

That said, why do you want to get a 5+ year old CPU that was considered mid-range at best in its day and is now barely half as fast as a modern i3 CPU? Are you in a different region where the i3 12100(F) or i5 10400(F) or Ryzen 5 5500 are hard to get?

Just now, YoungBlade said:

This depends heavily on what games you are intending to play. The i5 7400 is certainly capable of keeping up with a GTX 960 in most titles, but not in all.

That said, why do you want to get a 5+ year old CPU that was considered mid-range at best in its day and is now barely half as fast as a modern i3 CPU? Are you in a different region where the i3 12100(F) or i5 10400(F) or Ryzen 5 5500 are hard to get?

I'm in russia, there's no new intel cpus in shops anymore

2 minutes ago, MaverickRitvik said:

https://www.citilink.ru/product/processor-intel-original-core-i5-10400f-soc-1200-cm8070104290716s-rh3d-1363358/

the i5 10400(F) is a bit more expensive in Russia but I think it is still worth it compared to the other part prices I found online.

It costs more then my gpu then

Edited by bal723

If the i5 7400 is all you have available for a fair price, it's not a bad pairing for a GTX 960. There are very few games where you'll be CPU limited considering how slow the GTX 960 is. It does mean, however, that when you upgrade the graphics card, you'll need to upgrade the CPU along with it. The i5 7400 really struggles to keep up with any modern card in modern titles.

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If the i5 7400 is all you have available for a fair price, it's not a bad pairing for a GTX 960. There are very few games where you'll be CPU limited considering how slow the GTX 960 is. It does mean, however, that when you upgrade the graphics card, you'll need to upgrade the CPU along with it. The i5 7400 really struggles to keep up with any modern card in modern titles.

I asked some geeks about xeons from aliexpress (they are very popular in russia btw), they said that xeons are good but the motherboards are made of used components

8 minutes ago, bal723 said:

I asked some geeks about xeons from aliexpress (they are very popular in russia btw), they said that xeons are good but the motherboards are made of used components

Depends on the specific Xeon processors you're looking at. There are lots of motherboards coming out of China that are basically salvage boards, very popular for X79-era CPUs.

On the other hand, if you want a nice upgrade path for yourself, consider a Ryzen 3 1200 from the used market and a B450 motherboard. You can very easily get new, cheap B450 motherboards and there are a lot of 1000 series Ryzen processors available. Throw some cheap DDR4 3000 or 3200 with it, and you are set. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Depends on the specific Xeon processors you're looking at. There are lots of motherboards coming out of China that are basically salvage boards, very popular for X79-era CPUs.

On the other hand, if you want a nice upgrade path for yourself, consider a Ryzen 3 1200 from the used market and a B450 motherboard. You can very easily get new, cheap B450 motherboards and there are a lot of 1000 series Ryzen processors available. Throw some cheap DDR4 3000 or 3200 with it, and you are set. 

but ryzen still sucks in single core performance

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Also the x79 and x99 cpus are fine for itself, they do what normal processors do, but the motherboard is the only problem then

3 minutes ago, bal723 said:

First gen Ryzen is not very far off from those older Xeon processors you're looking at. And, sure the i5-7400 is a bit faster but you have no upgrade path, to get more modern CPUs you need to get a new motherboard. But with a B450 motherboard you just update the BIOS and put in a 5900X

1 minute ago, bal723 said:

Also the x79 and x99 cpus are fine for itself, they do what normal processors do, but the motherboard is the only problem then

Of course the processors are fine. Now the motherboards I've seen some mixed reviews for the Chinese boards so you might be interested in considering one of the LGA 1150 CPUs and a B85 motherboard or something instead.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, bal723 said:

No even first gen ryzen is basically on par with a i5 7400 single core. Newer ones are much better.

The issue here is that if you get a i5 7400 you already get a cpu that can not play modern games without issues anymore.

What is availbale?

Just now, Fasauceome said:

First gen Ryzen is not very far off from those older Xeon processors you're looking at. And, sure the i5-7400 is a bit faster but you have no upgrade path, to get more modern CPUs you need to get a new motherboard. But with a B450 motherboard you just update the BIOS and put in a 5900X

Of course the processors are fine. Now the motherboards I've seen some mixed reviews for the Chinese boards so you might be interested in considering one of the LGA 1150 CPUs and a B85 motherboard or something instead.

I still kinda don't like the ryzens because I always lay on gaming performance and also the Chinese motherboards are like huanazhi machinist klissre atermiter or etcs

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

No even first gen ryzen is basically on par with a i5 7400 single core. Newer ones are much better.

The issue here is that if you get a i5 7400 you already get a cpu that can not play modern games without issues anymore.

What is availbale?

a lot of choice on xeons from aliexpress as they cheap af

a lot of choice on xeons from aliexpress as they cheap af

Any ryzen options? Anything before xeon v3 and v4 stuff is not even worth looking at. Thing is also ryzen 1000 is already going to be flat out better in every way here than those xeons.

I still kinda don't like the ryzens because I always lay on gaming performance and also the Chinese motherboards are like huanazhi machinist klissre atermiter or etcs

Well I can tell you for sure that the rise and processors are not bad for gaming performance, I literally just built a PC for a client with a ryzen 5 1600. Gets very good performance in a lot of games that are CPU intensive, and I think it's something you should consider if you are playing modern games that need a good amount of cores

The older Xeon processors are cheap and they aren't bad choices, but you definitely want to make sure you know what you're getting into with their limitations. Keep in mind that a lot of these motherboards only have dual channel memory, when these older Xeon CPUs often have triple or quad channel DDR3 support, so you are gonna lose some bandwidth.

Primary PC:

Well I can tell you for sure that the rise and processors are not bad for gaming performance, I literally just built a PC for a client with a ryzen 5 1600. Gets very good performance in a lot of games that are CPU intensive, and I think it's something you should consider if you are playing modern games that need a good amount of cores

The older Xeon processors are cheap and they aren't bad choices, but you definitely want to make sure you know what you're getting into with their limitations. Keep in mind that a lot of these motherboards only have dual channel memory, when these older Xeon CPUs often have triple or quad channel DDR3 support, so you are gonna lose some bandwidth.

The most of them has 4 slots and quad channels and they all have very big choose of species of every motherboard

Also keeping in mind that even the 8 core v4 x99 xeons that do run at 3.5ghz and so still have pretty damn bad single core performance. Something a ryzen 1600 would easily beat.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Any ryzen options? Anything before xeon v3 and v4 stuff is not even worth looking at. Thing is also ryzen 1000 is already going to be flat out better in every way here than those xeons.

Ryzen 1800x can't beat the cheap 2697 v3

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Also keeping in mind that even the 8 core v4 x99 xeons that do run at 3.5ghz and so still have pretty damn bad single core performance. Something a ryzen 1600 would easily beat.

But still I am not a huge fan of ryzens and amd and all their stuff (except their bike, its awesome)

3 minutes ago, bal723 said:

The most of them has 4 slots and quad channels and they all have very big choose of species of every motherboard

4 slots doesn't mean quad channel. Make sure when you do choose to buy one that it has quad channel specifically available. Some have 4 slots but it's 2 dimms per channel.

2 minutes ago, bal723 said:

If you need 14 cores sure, but do you specifically need 14 cores? I was thinking this was a gaming computer.

except their bike, its awesome

Their bike is the worst thing they've ever made

Edited by Fasauceome

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, bal723 said:

For gaming the 1800x is a lot better. That and it's on a socket that has MANY new cpu's. You can also look at newer gen ryzens no problem.

Yes the 2697 v3 is about 30% better in multi core but it has 8 more threads so it better be at least a little better. For gaming tho that means literally nothing as most games out today use between 6 - 12 threads. This is also why a pure 4 core or 6 core cpu is not recommended and why we are steering you to get something with at least 12 threads.

7 minutes ago, bal723 said:

The most of them has 4 slots and quad channels

Slots do not equal channels. The cheap ali express boards are basically universally dual channel. Not a huge loss in performance but with those old xeons any loss is a big deal.

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

4 slots doesn't mean quad channel. Make sure when you do choose to buy one that it has quad channel specifically available. Some have 4 slots but it's 2 dimms per channel.

If you need 14 cores sure, but do you specifically need 14 cores? I was thinking this was a gaming computer.

Their bike is the worst thing they've ever made

first, I can see any russian review about any chiness motherboard.

second, its an cheap gaming pc.

third, idrk I just use it normally when going on a trip to different city, or just riding in a city, as for me its fine.

Just now, jaslion said:

For gaming the 1800x is a lot better. That and it's on a socket that has MANY new cpu's. You can also look at newer gen ryzens no problem.

Yes the 2697 v3 is about 30% better in multi core but it has 8 more threads so it better be at least a little better. For gaming tho that means literally nothing as most games out today use between 6 - 12 threads. This is also why a pure 4 core or 6 core cpu is not recommended and why we are steering you to get something with at least 12 threads.

Slots do not equal channels. The cheap ali express boards are basically universally dual channel. Not a huge loss in performance but with those old xeons any loss is a big deal.

anyways, ryzen doesn't worth its money