Don't know where to start

Hi everyone! I am extremely new to the world of pc. The only thing I know about are the names of the components to a pc. How would i get into finding out how to properly research parts for a pc i would like to build? I am not really trying to run anything extremely crazy but with all of the crazy names with long numbers after them i dont know how to properly research parts for my future pc. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Have a fun watch!

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

I know what Pc part picker is but idk what all of the things you filter by are (i.e. internal and external bays for a case. i have no idea what those mean.) or on a motherboard idk what pcie or m.2 is. these are the thiings i need help with.

Watch the exhaustive PC building video that mr fobs linked. It will be contain far greater and concise information than anything we'll be willing to tell you in a random forum post. It's only 1hr40min to learn everything whereas you'll probably spend several hours trying to learn random PC information that may or may not help you.

1 hour ago, The_Red_Jay said:

Hi everyone! I am extremely new to the world of pc. The only thing I know about are the names of the components to a pc. How would i get into finding out how to properly research parts for a pc i would like to build? I am not really trying to run anything extremely crazy but with all of the crazy names with long numbers after them i dont know how to properly research parts for my future pc. Thanks in advance for the advice!

You've literally told us nothing about what you need, so you're already wasting everyone's time including your own.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

On 6/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, saint_louis_bagels said:

Watch the exhaustive PC building video that mr fobs linked. It will be contain far greater and concise information than anything we'll be willing to tell you in a random forum post. It's only 1hr40min to learn everything whereas you'll probably spend several hours trying to learn random PC information that may or may not help you.

You've literally told us nothing about what you need, so you're already wasting everyone's time including your own.

i mean just trying to reun minecraft with shaders and mods. eventually ill probably want to upgrade some parts but for now i would judt like something thaw will render nicely in minecraft with those featurs i mentioned before

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/QdCzK8

This is something i just put together with a friends help. i just want to double check to see if this is overkill or not for just running minecraft with shaders and mods. i do however plan to maybe upgrade down the line. i dont mind spending that much for my first build but if i can give up some things and not scarifice performance in the game i would love that.

Thats a fine build, nothing wrong with it, every piece is very reliable. But you should still watch that last guide to build a PC video by LTT. Itll help you understand why you're picking these things. Then come back with any particular questions and everybody here would be happy to answer them.

-= Moved topic to New Builds and Planning =-

The best place to start would be this and see what members recommend for you.

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, The_Red_Jay said:

dont mind spending that much for my first build but if i can give up some things and not scarifice performance in the game i would love that.

Country and uses would be useful as well. I'll take note on minecraft w/ shades and us? Since that's the pcpartpicker prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4WRzf

Your list has a bit of a unbalanced gpu cpu combo 

A 12400f Is a Great pick if you plan to  game

Cheap aftermarket cooler to keep it quiet.

Good mobo with decent features, money could be saved by going matx though.

Cheapest kit of 16gb ram 

Cheap 1tb m.2 storage

I'd personally trust nvidia to power through mc shaders better then amd, but in term of raw perfromace, the 6750 would probably be better for cheaper. I included the nvidia card if you just plan to play modded minecraft

A case that's on sale right now and seems to be a good buy.

Psu is a cheap 750. The case is white so if you want to spend a bit more, you can get a white psu so the black cables won't be as tacky in the build 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R4Gbt6/corsair-rm-2021-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020231-na

I do recommend to watch the ltt video seen up above. It's really comprehensive in build planning and what all the individual parts are. You can get a better idea there.

9 hours ago, Ryuikko said:

Country and uses would be useful as well. I'll take note on minecraft w/ shades and us? Since that's the pcpartpicker prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y4WRzf

Your list has a bit of a unbalanced gpu cpu combo 

A 12400f Is a Great pick if you plan to  game

Cheap aftermarket cooler to keep it quiet.

Good mobo with decent features, money could be saved by going matx though.

Cheapest kit of 16gb ram 

Cheap 1tb m.2 storage

I'd personally trust nvidia to power through mc shaders better then amd, but in term of raw perfromace, the 6750 would probably be better for cheaper. I included the nvidia card if you just plan to play modded minecraft

A case that's on sale right now and seems to be a good buy.

Psu is a cheap 750. The case is white so if you want to spend a bit more, you can get a white psu so the black cables won't be as tacky in the build 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R4Gbt6/corsair-rm-2021-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020231-na

I do recommend to watch the ltt video seen up above. It's really comprehensive in build planning and what all the individual parts are. You can get a better idea there.

see i really appreciate all the help but i dont understand any tech shorthand which is why i ahve come someplace like this too learn. i watched the video last night and it still didnt help me out all that much because even though they mentioned tips and stuff for picking out things i still dont know which cpu+gpu combo ill need to start. im not trying to build a supercomputer just one that will run minecraft with the room to upgrade later.

11 minutes ago, The_Red_Jay said:

cpu+gpu combo ill need to start. im not trying to build a supercomputer just one that will run minecraft with the room to upgrade later.

For cpu wise I'd get a 12400f for a starting build. It's a solid 6 core cpu that won't limit games with a 3070.

I put a b660 board since z690 boards are made to overclock with cpus with k At the end.

Gpu wise I'd go with a nvidia card here. 3070 is the middle ground for good perfromance to price on nvidias side. One if its benefits is the Ray tracing cores on the gpu that will help with shaders in minecraft. 

You can upgrade to the new cpu that's going to be coming out later this year. It will use the same socket as the current 12th gen so most likely all you would need is a bios update.

If you have any other questions I'll try my best to help but I'm by no means an expert lol