Elgato Foot Pedals for custom MechWarrior and flight sim controls

VintageGamer

Has anyone used the Elgato Foot Pedal as a controller for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries or MechWarrior Online? I am also looking at the Elgato Foot Pedals as lower cost alternatives and with more control customization options compared to flight pedals for flight simulators or for additional Stream Deck controls.

For BattleTech and MechWarrior games, I can use the Logitech G920 racing wheel and pedals from my racing simulators as foot pedals for MechWarrior games, and I am instead considering getting two Elgato Foot Pedal for more control customization options. I would get one Elgato Foot Pedal controller for each foot to control legs and torso twist independently with one button on each control to control a leg and the other controlling the torso. The center buttons on the Elgato Foot Pedals would center torso or the legs. I would 3D print levers to make the buttons easier to reach with minimal movement of my feet. My mouse or Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D Joystick would fine tune my aim. I am also currently using an Elgato Stream Deck XL, a Razer Tartarus V2, and a Belkin SpeedPad Nostromo N52 for hotkeys and lance commands in the game. Another addition would be to use the mods for the game to use my VR headset as an always on free look so I can look inside and out the side windows of the cockpit.

I now have one of the Elgato Foot Pedals. There is a noticeable and less than a second lag, maybe 30 milliseconds, between pressing one of the pedals and the computer registering and activating the hotkey.This does cause issues with anything requiring quick response times, such as piloting a BattleMech in the MechWarrior games.

The pedals also are not comfortable to use since there is not a foot rest or heal rest. You either have to hover or hold the weight of your foot and leg off the pedal so it does not accidentally activate, or increase the activation time by placing your foot on the floor then reaching for the pedals when they are needed.I may 3D print a custom foot rest that extends the pedals to make them more comfortable to use.

• 3 weeks later...

The input lag is not caused by the pedals. The key commands are being registered and the delay is Microsoft Windows pausing the input for a split second when the pedal is held instead of pressed and released, similar to how holding a letter key in a word processor will type the character once, pause, then type a long string of the character.