Transfer M.ATX build to ITX case?

An0maly_76

Obviously, this means a board swap, but as my current board is still fairly new and should be under warranty, I should have no problem finding a buyer. What I'm curious about is PSU. Will an ITX case accept a standard ATX PSU? If it depends on the case and PSU, the potential case is a RaidMax Element, and the PSU is a Corsair RM850x (2021). This is an older case, so I must not be saying the magic words for Google to find specifics. Pic of the case for those who need a memory jog...

image.png.e998c530447e67bf7f49a445cbef324c.png

I'm only considering this because I would like to add an internal optical drive and I'm not finding anything current with both vertical GPU mount support AND an ODD bay. I really like the Fractal Focus Mini G, but it doesn't appear to be plug-and-play for vertically mounting GPU (if it even supports it), something I suspect will fix a minor annoyance in my current case.

image.png.4b64b5578f3ba00284428d52151bab5f.png

I already have a PCI-e riser on the way, but would really like an internal optical drive, which my 4000X case does not support. The RaidMax Element appears to solve both needs / issues, and I have an opportunity to buy one cheap. While a board swap comes with the territory, I'm not about to swap PSUs as well just to change cases.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

It does support standard ATX units if the Newegg listing I found is correct. 

Support full length ATX power supply or mini-ITX power supply

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I'm not finding anything current with both vertical GPU mount support AND an ODD bay.

May I ask why you need a vertical GPU mount? It's purely aesthetic, and going for an ITX case like that you wouldn't even see it anyway. This is just a really weird requirement for what you're trying to do. 

Cooler master elite 130

CB08E71B-ABBF-4912-838D-CE5C004C2743.thumb.png.7d939fb0894b43fcab21c534c0cd94cb.png

takes any size atx psu and has a 5.25” bay, uses the vertical gpu orientation 

only concerns with this case are you will need either a 120mm aio or a low profile cpu cooler, and that it doesn’t have much gpu room past the 2.25 slot count, if you have a larger 3 slot gpu you’d need to do some cooler mods

edit, something else to note about the elite 130 or silverstone s13 or whatever similar cube era case from the same era, there’s a reason they’re still being produced, they’re timeless functional and cheap designs, they have good airflow, simple designs to work with, and a relatively roomy interior for an itx cube

the raidmax element is probably the opposite of that, a front mounted psu and zero airflow, it’s a more complicated layout that’s a bit more difficult to work with and will limit a lot of components, sure you can put a fairly large cpu cooler in it, but with no airflow into the system you’re relying on the pull into the system by the exhaust fan and cooler itself, limiting the performance of the cooler

As well as a generally outdated design and external features, granted the elite 130 has this issue as well but at least it has a 120mm intake alongside its ancient I/o

meanwhile the silverstone s13 got a revision for USB type C on the front I/o and even has options for differ front panels 

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It does support standard ATX units if the Newegg listing I found is correct. 

May I ask why you need a vertical GPU mount? It's purely aesthetic, and going for an ITX case like that you wouldn't even see it anyway. This is just a really weird requirement for what you're trying to do. 

Thanks for the info, as I said, I must not be saying 'Open sesame' quite right.

Unfortunately, I have a recurring problem with my GPU randomly coming unseated after a couple weeks or so, refusing to boot or display video. This has forced me to open the case and reseat it several times in the four months after the build. All screws, latches, cables, etc. have been checked and it definitely seems to be slowly pulling itself free of the slot. I originally thought the RAM was unseating, but confirmed it was the GPU last time it happened.

I suspect GPU sag and expansion / contraction from normal heat cycles are causing the GPU to slowly unseat itself. Apart from that, the machine runs flawlessly, I just have to re-seat the GPU every so often, which you can imagine is getting old, and frankly, I'm tired of playing games with it. The board's slot latch isn't exactly top-notch design, which doesn't help.

Could very well be a defect in the slot from manufacturing, but going by the evidence so far, I believe relieving the lateral stress on the socket or at least having some equilateral support for the card would solve this problem. Hence, I'm thinking either vertical mount or swap to an ITX case that cradles the GPU.

The 4000X case I have supports vertical mount, and a PCIe riser card that will likely solve that problem is on the way. However, an internal optical drive would be nice, as I tend to rip / record purchased DVDs to HDD to reduce physical activity of changing discs, due to health problems. If I can't find a suitable case for this purpose, the old SFF workstation I am revamping has one and can serve this purpose, so it's hardly a deal-breaker.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

but I feel confident that a vertical mount would solve the problem

I'm not, if the latch is faulty the pcie riser would still likely keep popping out as well. 

22 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'm not, if the latch is faulty the pcie riser would still likely keep popping out as well. 

There's a huge difference in lateral stress between an RTX3060ti and a riser cable, though. I figured if the case supported it, it was worth a try. If it solves the problem, I'm happy. The current build suits behind a 55" display, so aesthetics are of no concern to me. With my health issues, repeatedly hauling this thing down from its perch behind the display just to reseat a GPU that won't stay put is getting quite irritating. Riser cable is an easy enough solution if it solves the problem.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

Thanks for the info, as I said, I must not be saying 'Open sesame' quite right.

Unfortunately, I have a recurring problem with my GPU randomly coming unseated after a couple weeks or so, refusing to boot or display video. This has forced me to open the case and reseat it several times in the four months after the build. All screws, latches, cables, etc. have been checked and it definitely seems to be slowly pulling itself free of the slot. I originally thought the RAM was unseating, but confirmed it was the GPU last time it happened.

I suspect GPU sag and expansion / contraction from normal heat cycles are causing the GPU to slowly unseat itself. Apart from that, the machine runs flawlessly, I just have to re-seat the GPU every so often, which you can imagine is getting old, and frankly, I'm tired of playing games with it. The board's slot latch isn't exactly top-notch design, which doesn't help.

Could very well be a defect in the slot from manufacturing, but going by the evidence so far, I believe relieving the lateral stress on the socket or at least having some equilateral support for the card would solve this problem. Hence, I'm thinking either vertical mount or swap to an ITX case that cradles the GPU.

The 4000X case I have supports vertical mount, and a PCIe riser card that will likely solve that problem is on the way. However, an internal optical drive would be nice, as I tend to rip / record purchased DVDs to HDD to reduce physical activity of changing discs, due to health problems. If I can't find a suitable case for this purpose, the old SFF workstation I am revamping has one and can serve this purpose, so it's hardly a deal-breaker.

How is that even possible if you have the screws tightened down?

18 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

How is that even possible if you have the screws tightened down?

You tell me and we'll both know. I thought I found the problem the time before by removing the adhesive protecto-sheet that covers the expansion slot cover, thinking it might be bunching up in the case and putting the card in a bind. Barely two weeks later, it happened again. Only thing that makes sense to me is that lateral stress from the unsupported outer front corner combined with expansion and contraction of normal heat cycles is causing the GPU to slowly work itself free over the course of a few weeks. On the most recent start failure, I opened the case and with a light push on the GPU, all was well.

The current case supports vertical mount, and PCIe riser cables aren't that expensive, so I have one on the way. I guess the proof will be in the pudding in a few weeks if the problem doesn't recur. However, I've reconsidered foregoing an internal ODD for a USB external as something as an oversight due to throughput, so I'm looking around to see what options serve both needs. Doesn't have to be mini-ITX, I suppose, but it would be better for me in the grand scheme of things.

EDIT: As an aside, I notice the Elite 130 is likely going to be cheaper than the Raidmax I have a shot at, if that includes free shipping.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

15 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

You tell me and we'll both know. I thought I found the problem the time before by removing the adhesive protecto-sheet that covers the expansion slot cover, thinking it might be bunching up in the case and putting the card in a bind. Barely two weeks later, it happened again. Only thing that makes sense to me is that lateral stress from the unsupported outer front corner combined with expansion and contraction of normal heat cycles is causing the GPU to slowly work itself free over the course of a few weeks. On the most recent start failure, I opened the case and with a light push on the GPU, all was well.

The current case supports vertical mount, and PCIe riser cables aren't that expensive, so I have one on the way. I guess the proof will be in the pudding in a few weeks if the problem doesn't recur. However, I've reconsidered foregoing an internal ODD for a USB external as something as an oversight due to throughput, so I'm looking around to see what options serve both needs. Doesn't have to be mini-ITX, I suppose, but it would be better for me in the grand scheme of things.

No, that doesn't sound pausible at all. The screws will prevent it from sliding out even a fraction of a millimeter. More likely that you have a janky power cable connection.

Of course, the bigger question is whether my current build will cool well in the Elite 130. A 5900X, RTX3060ti, 1TB M.2, 2x16 DDR4-3200, and 7200rpm HDD (capacity TBD). Also have a Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition, which stands 155mm tall. I seem to remember confirming the cooler will fit this case, but I run six fans in the case I have now -- would the Elite 130 cool this setup as well?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

No, that doesn't sound pausible at all. The screws will prevent it from sliding out even a fraction of a millimeter. More likely that you have a janky power cable connection.

That I could see, I guess, but I'm not pushing on the PCI-e power, just the top of the cooling shroud. While I guess in a rare occurrence there might be enough play in the socket or plug for that to make a difference, I just don't see it.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

14 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

ITX case accept a standard ATX PSU?

vertically mounting GPU (

https://metallicgear.com/products/Neo-G-Mini-V2

With a case like this, you will run into issues with any sort of Air tower you try to put in it, so a water cooler would be recommended. Also, try to place your card as far away from the glass as possible in the three PCI-E mounts along the back, as glass doesn't allow any air to flow through it 😉 

Your problem sounds more like an issue with your GPU and/or motherboard not linking up together properly. This is not normally a case I'd recommend (usually I'd suggest the Neo V2 version which has the non vertically mounted GPU) but hey. It works. 

An sG13B or elite 130 as mentioned previously would be the best of everything; as gravity would hold your card in and the vented side panels would allow air to flow, but whether or not the cases could house your card or have enough room for *everything else* is another story. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I like that one. I'd be sold if it had an ODD bay. But OOOOOHHHHHH, this thing is slowly signing its death warrant... 🤬

I got the riser card today, and it was a no-go due to its rigidity and excess length, as well as the need to route around another card. I did, however, find a potential cable management issue, as the PCIe power cable was possibly pushing up (out) on the card from between it and the motherboard. So I decided to swap the GPU and USB riser between their respective x16 slots. No go, Windows froze when loading. Keep in mind, this thing sits on a hutch about a foot above my head, so lugging it down and back up between tinkering is a problem, especially as I have serious asthma.

By now, I'm furious. So I swapped the cards back where they were, and routed the PCIe power lower in the case to avoid interference. Just for good measure, I clipped a wire from a dead PSU I had laying around and strung it from the top vent grilles for support, tying it off to the GPU's backing plate. It boots now, but we'll see if the GPU unseats itself again.

For now, it's cowering behind my 55" display as I give it that cold Jules Winnfield stare, ranting... "Unseat AGAIN! UN...SEAT... AGAIN! I DARE YOU! I DOUBLE-DARE YOU, **********! UNSEAT ONE MORE ********* TIME!"

Now I remember... THIS is why I don't build systems for a living! Due to certain autistic traits, I don't have much, if any patience for this sort of thing. If I get disability, I would be allowed to supplement my benefits slightly with this on the side, but I don't see doing this every day of the week as any kind of savior to prevent having to file for disability.

I'm not kidding... If this thing refuses to boot because of that GPU unseating one more time, I'm of the mind to dismantle it to the last component and part it out for a new build. I have neither the patience nor the inclination to deal with the RMA BS, even if it's under warranty.

EDIT: After seeing THIS video in another thread, though, I'm starting to wonder if I need a bigger PSU. Maybe my 850W just can't handle the startup surge. But I don't see where pressing in on the card would correct that.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

I like that one. I'd be sold if it had an ODD bay. But OOOOOHHHHHH, this thing is slowly signing its death warrant... 🤬

I got the riser card today, and it was a no-go due to its rigidity and excess length, as well as the need to route around another card. I did, however, find a potential cable management issue, as the PCIe power cable was possibly pushing up (out) on the card from between it and the motherboard. So I decided to swap the GPU and USB riser between their respective x16 slots. No go, Windows froze when loading. Keep in mind, this thing sits on a hutch about a foot above my head, so lugging it down and back up between tinkering is a problem, especially as I have serious asthma.

By now, I'm furious. So I swapped the cards back where they were, and routed the PCIe power lower in the case to avoid interference. Just for good measure, I clipped a wire from a dead PSU I had laying around and strung it from the top vent grilles for support, tying it off to the GPU's backing plate. It boots now, but we'll see if the GPU unseats itself again.

For now, it's cowering behind my 55" display as I give it that cold Jules Winnfield stare, ranting... "Unseat AGAIN! UN...SEAT... AGAIN! I DARE YOU! I DOUBLE-DARE YOU, **********! UNSEAT ONE MORE ********* TIME!"

Now I remember... THIS is why I don't build systems for a living! Due to certain autistic traits, I don't have much, if any patience for this sort of thing. If I get disability, I would be allowed to supplement my benefits slightly with this on the side, but I don't see doing this every day of the week as any kind of savior to prevent having to file for disability.

I'm not kidding... If this thing refuses to boot because of that GPU unseating one more time, I'm of the mind to dismantling it to the last component and parting it out for a new build. I have neither the patience nor the inclination to deal with the RMA BS, even if it's under warranty.

EDIT: After seeing THIS video in another thread, though, I'm starting to wonder if I need a bigger PSU. Maybe my 850W just can't handle the startup surge. But I don't see where pressing in on the card would correct that.

I hate to say this, but issues such as this are I avoid mITX cases and Risers Cards. I thought both Riser Card and Components unseating themselves were things of past.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I hate to say this, but issues such as this are I avoid mITX cases and Risers Cards. I thought both Riser Card and Components unseating themselves were things of past.

I'm not so sure it wasn't my own fault. It appears the PCIe power for the GPU may have well gotten hung between the GPU and motherboard on installation. Seems the cable may have slipped down to just the right height to make it happen. I really don't understand the point of these stupid shrouds that force you to bring your cables in at a 90-degree angle, much less the 'knockouts' that appear to be made to help clean up cable management, but with holes that are too small for any of these cable connectors to get through.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!