Direct wall to pc connection is 330mbps. When I put an router in line, the ethernet connctioin drops to 90mbps. Multiple routers.

So I spent all day trying to figure out why I was only getting 90mbps until I realized goddamn Spectrum was throttling me. I did my tests directly from the modem. Once solved, I put the router back in line an I'm back down to 90mbps. I switched to an older router and same thing. My router is capable of 1.8gbps. TP-L AX1800. What gives?

First things first, that "1.8Gb/s" rating you're reading in marketing material, might as well just forget that, its meaningless. Its an aggregation of all the connections that manufacturers use to sell these things to people who don't know any better.

That being said, what it sounds like what's happening is somewhere in the link when you add in the router, you're being limited by a 100Mb/s link. Usually a bad cable. 

The router you mentioned has a Gigabit WAN and LAN ports and if its working correctly that shouldn't be an issue. What I'd be doing first is checking my PC's network adapter to see if its negotiating at 1000Mb/s as a first step. If it is, the issue might be between the router and the modem. I'd be swapping cables all around.

You didn't actually mention what your results were directly from the modem after you "solved" whatever Spectrum was doing to throttle you.

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

First things first, that "1.8Gb/s" rating you're reading in marketing material, might as well just forget that, its meaningless. Its an aggregation of all the connections that manufacturers use to sell these things to people who don't know any better.

That being said, what it sounds like what's happening is somewhere in the link when you add in the router, you're being limited by a 100Mb/s link. Usually a bad cable. 

The router you mentioned has a Gigabit WAN and LAN ports and if its working correctly that shouldn't be an issue. What I'd be doing first is checking my PC's network adapter to see if its negotiating at 1000Mb/s as a first step. If it is, the issue might be between the router and the modem. I'd be swapping cables all around.

You didn't actually mention what your results were directly from the modem after you "solved" whatever Spectrum was doing to throttle you.

Thank you for the quick reply. I 100% think it's a cable. I'm actually checking out at monoprice and figured I'd check back here before I do. I was thinking about it and I'm novice but when you narrow it down, it's the communication between the modem and router. The cable is the weak link. Anyway, thanks.