Evga RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Red light

Super panda

Hi,

I have a brand new RTX 3090 FTW3 ultra (ver2) which is working fine so far however last night when I fired up my game my whole pc suddenly shut down and after I turned it back on there was a red light on my 3090. Not only that but a couple of fans in my pc were not even spinning so I'm not sure if it's a power issue or psu or cables or the card itself. So I conntected another 8 pin connector to the card and now the red light is gone and card and everything else is working just fine. But I'm just wondering what could cause these issues ? I have 850w psu from corsair and running a 10900k overclocked aswell with 500w bios on my 3090 card so maybe my psu just can't handle the load ? 

20220626_214031.jpg

Did you have three individual (dedicated) 8-pins going to the card? If not, then that was your issue (that you seem to have corrected).

This is a common "issue" with the higher end 30 series cards. They need good dedicated power.

1 minute ago, Slizzo said:

Did you have three individual (dedicated) 8-pins going to the card? If not, then that was your issue (that you seem to have corrected).

This is a common "issue" with the higher end 30 series cards. They need good dedicated power.

Well the card is working fine right now but I'm seeing a lot of red light of death on evga ftw3 ultra's so I was getting worried. I disconnect and re connected the 8 pin connectors a few times and the issue seems to be solved however I'm planning to upgrade to a new psu soon (corsair hx 1200w platinium).

But just to be sure, what does that red light exacly mean ? Not getting the right power ?

Usually not enough power. What PSU do you currently have?

I'm using a corsair 850x psu.

P.S this issue keeps happening everytime I turn off my pc. Then I will get a red light again and I have to play with the cables a little bit (reconnecting and disconnecting) and it will start just fine.

Just now, Super panda said:

I'm using a corsair 850x psu.

P.S this issue keeps happening everytime I turn off my pc. Then I will get a red light again and I have to play with the cables a little bit (reconnecting and disconnecting) and it will start just fine.

So I think power issue ? Maybe something is wrong with the power cables or psu is failing ?

Could be either, but your 850W corsair should be able to handle the 3090 and whatever else is in your system.

You don't have a different power supply to test with, do you?

There are several things that can do it.

Bad 24pin motherboard cable or PCIe cable. 

It happened on my i9 10900k rig. Found out by regaling the cable.

Not enough PSU power to start the GPU. With my RTX 2080 tis I sometimes had to swatch off at the PSU and then on again to get the computers to start. They had 850 watt PSUs and with 1000 watt PSUs the issue was gone.

Since I only have 1000 & 1300 watt PSUs I have had no issues with my 3090s and 3090 ti.

Also when my i9 10900k overclocked and my FTW3 Ultra 3080 ti overclocked were together they used 833 watts from the wall. You are using more. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Thanks for the response, I also think it's a power issue since the gpu works just fine on another pc. I'm getting a new psu today (corsair hx1200w platinium) so hopefully the issue will be solved.

8 hours ago, Slizzo said:

Could be either, but your 850W corsair should be able to handle the 3090 and whatever else is in your system.

You don't have a different power supply to test with, do you?

I tested the card on another pc with 1000w psu and everything was working flawless so I think there is just something wrong with my own pc but since this problem showed up right after I upgraded from a rtx 3070 to rtx 3090 500w bios I think the issue has indeed something to do with the power draw and my psu